Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

A sweet story about a letter to God

jel48
15 years ago

I don't generally pass on the emails with the stories and photos... .the ones that get circulated so much... unless I know that some friend will particularly like a certain one. I got this one this morning, along with a photo of a little girl hugging a black lab, and it was just so sweet. I thought that several of you here might like reading it.

Here it is...

"Hello everyone:

Isn't a time for something good? A very sweet story and hope that it is true.

Connie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Fw: U.S. Postal Service at its best -- for real- - this is great !

This is one of the kindest things you may ever see. It is not known who replied, but there is a beautiful soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. S he asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet D ies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven.

Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by..

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.

I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.

By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

Love,

God"

I just melted inside reading it.

Comments (3)

• Janice
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a beautiful story and I hope it's true, too! If so, God sure had the right person 'in place' for
    'Meredith'! I know that really blessed the 'person' so much to do that! My eyes are all teary!!!!

Thank you, Joyce--it made my day right before bedtime!!

Janice

• Janice
    15 years ago

I have to share a very TRUE story of my own!

Our youngest daughter, 'Stefanie', had a very special friend that been in her class with her
    from kindergarten to the 4th grade, and after telling our daughter she didn't feel well
    on a Friday at school, she was rushed to the hospital the next day with the progressed symptoms
    of bruising all over her body and cracked and bleeding lip, bleeding from the navel, etc.
    A week later, she went into a coma, after complaining of a severe pain in her head and after days
    of waiting for improvement and having no brain activity during that time, they allowed her body to die.

Our daughter was, of course, devastated and wanted to have her friend, 'Bonnie', back from heaven.
    I told her that was not possible. She wanted to pray to her and asked if it would be okay!
    I told her, that whereas God is the only one we can pray to, He or Jesus would be glad to tell
    'Bonnie' what she wanted her to hear, if she asked Him to deliver her message to her!

She then asked me if 'Bonnie' could come back to her from heaven. I told her, "No,
    that is not possible and besides she's so happy there she doesn't want to come back!"
    That really upset her and she said "Well, I want her back!"

Then she wanted to know if 'Bonnie' could talk to her from heaven? I said not really in a way she
    was expecting, but one day they would be together again to talk all they wanted!

The next day, her 2nd grade teacher phoned me, to ask if she could give Stefanie something
    she found in her garage. She had gone out there and looked around and thought that she should
    really try to organize and throw away some stuff from previous classes she had been saving.

She walked over to the very first box and right on the top of the contents was a note from 'Bonnie'
    to 'Stefanie', apparently written 2 years before!

It said:

"Dear Stefanie, You are my very best friend--I love you so much!!!!
    Love, Bonnie"

Of course, I agreed that it would be a very good thing to give to Stefanie--in fact--'very timely'!!

The next day, Stefanie came running in after school, leaped into my arms and told me how 'Bonnie'
    had written her a note and asked me if it was possible it came down from heaven?

I told her, that it was more likely, that God knew that she would need to hear from 'Bonnie' that day,
    and so He made sure that it was saved and found at that very time, to be given to her!!

I can certainly tell you, it impacted that little girl, greatly, at a very tender age and time to realize that
    God is so *in control* and knows what we will need, even before the need ever arises! And, that
    He is willing and faithful to meet the deepest needs of His children!! A truth, played out over and over
    in my own life!!

He is so good to us!!

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your story is beautiful, Janice. Sometimes we do get those little signs right when we need them most. One that comes to mind for me, happened a couple of years back, for my next oldest sister. She had been, and still is, going through so very terrible things, healthwise. However, as her health has gone downhill, her faith has grown tremendously. About 2 1/2 years ago, when my mom was still with us, my sister had a row of gladiolas blooming in front of her house. I don't recall the color for sure, reds, I believe. But she looked out and there was a single bright shining peach colored stalk of blossums. She had those same glads the year before and had dug the bulbs and replanted them herself. She hadn't had a peach colored one in the batch. Peach was the color of the dress my mom was married in. My sister said she saw that flower and she knew it was put there as a sign to tell her that everything was going to be all right.