Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Intersting Mushrooms

jel48
13 years ago

I don't know if anyone else finds fungus/mushrooms/lichen and all that stuff as fascinating as I do, but thought I'd post a few photos of some that I've seen recently.

I posted these in the Plant ID forum and think I have the correct ID on them thanks to GW member Susanc.

The first (three photos) is ID'd as Laetiporus sulphureus, sulphur shelf fungus. I looked this up online and found it is known as the 'Chicken Mushroom', it is edible, and can be used as a chicken substitute in vegetarian recipes. Not by me though, I'm not that brave :-) I don't think the photos actually do this one full justice as the colors (in person) were very vivid yellow and orange. Much more so then the photos.

The second (last photo) is Piptoporus betulinus, birch shelf bracket fungus. This one rarely occurs on anything but birch trees. What caught my eye was that it looked like a perfect soap dish! I also saw one a couple of weeks ago, that looked like a doorknob. It was on a birch tree as well, and we hauled the log (about 8 foot long) in to camp because I thought it looked so cool. Unfortunately, I didn't think of the mushroom as being a living, growing thing, and didn't take a pic right away. Looked at it the other day and it doesn't look nearly so much like a doorknob as it did earlier :-(

{{gwi:330803}}

{{gwi:330804}}

{{gwi:330805}}

{{gwi:330806}}

Comments (6)