Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Love collecting 'quotes' of the 'founding fathers'!

Janice
14 years ago

Benjamin Franklin:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

Words may show a man's wit but actions his meaning.

He that speaks much, is much mistaken.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Well done, is better than well said.

Half a truth is often a great lie.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise.

As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence.

Never confuse motion with action.

All who think, cannot but see there is a sanction, like that of religion, which binds us in partnership in the serious work of the world.

Admiration is the daughter of ignorance.

I conceive that the great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Who had deceived thee so often as thyself?

Those who govern, having much business on their hands, do not generally like to take the trouble of considering and carrying into execution

new projects. The best public measures are therefore seldom adopted from previous wisdom, but forced by the occasion.

He that has done you a kindness, will be more ready to do you another, than he whom you yourself have obliged.

Money has never made man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has the more one wants.

Rather go to bed without dinner, than to rise in debt.

There never was a truly great man that was not at the same time, truly virtuous.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom, is a knowledge of our own ignorance.

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.

Many a man thinks he is buying pleasure, when he is really selling himself to it.

The art of acting consists in keeping people from coughing.

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.

It is only when the rich are sick that they fully feel the impo-tence of wealth.

There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and frequently fall,

than that of defrauding the government.

It is the eye of other people that ruin us. If I were blind I would want, neither fine clothes, fine houses or fine furniture.

It is a grand mistake to think of being great, without goodness, and I pronounce it as certain

that there was never a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous.

He that waits upon fortune, is never sure of a dinner.

It is the working man who is the happy man. It is the idle man who is the miserable man.

I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.

Trouble springs from idleness, and grievous toil from needless ease.

He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals.

Comments (2)