Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

Hosta seeds??

just1morehosta
14 years ago

Who among us,has had good luck sowing hosta seed?

I tried last year,and not one came up.NOTA,SILTCH,AS IN ZERO.

I collected some seed from a streaker,and do not want to fail this year,just for the pure fun of sowing.

Help,please.

DENNY??????????????????????

Carol

Comments (5)

• aahostas
    14 years ago

I have came to your beckoned call oh fair Carol!I always wait until the pods turn brown and start to open along the sides. Then I take them in and clean the pod debris from the seeds. I then place the seed in envelopes and label them. Then it is time to put them in a jar and put them in the fridge for a couple or four months.I usually start my seeds in early March so I can get them outside in May. The sooner the better to save electricity and keep the fungus at bay.Besides I really feel they do better in natural sunlight anyway. Ihave been using sand and bonemeal to cover the seeds and it has worked out really well. Also keep a small fan blowing on the seedlings 24/7 as soon as you take off the plastic cover. This keeps those fungi spores and peckergnats from taking over.Select the very best pods that are plump and streaked as space is too limited to grow 1000 little greenies.I fear another damsel in distress beckons me hither so I must part with you for now.Feel free to e-mail if you have any further questions.

Denny

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

Sir Dennis to the fair damsel's rescue. Wonderful advice that I might try myself.

Good luck Carol on growing your streakers.

Connie

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Sire Denny of Central,
    Your humble listener of such worthy new shall do as thee hath suggested,do i sow by the moon light,and only the moon light?
    I thank thee,and will keep thee informed of such growing conditions.

Alas,you will probably be getting a e mail from me sometime in the next couple of months asking for help.:0)
    Thanks Denny,(Rescuer of damsel's in distress)
    cAROL

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

why isnt this on the discussion side???
    Tt need refrigeration ... they can be planted as soon as they come out of the pod ....

though i have heard of storing them there.. for planting later.. though that is not even necessary

BUT.. as always.. if it works.. who am i to say.. dont do it ...

they can be broken out of the pod.. and kept in an envelop until after new years.. and grown under plain old fluorescent lights... VERY EASILY ...

ken

• aahostas
    14 years ago

Ken,
    If you read my post I said that I start mine in March.So planting then right out of the pod isn't something that I do. Not because I can't ,but, because I don't and I explain why in my post. It isn't on the discussion side because the question arose fomr a question or remark made on this side. I was just offering my advice to someone who asked for it. I am sure there are alternative ways of doing it and probably even better ways of doing it but as you said,"IF it works". I think the term VERY EASY is a bit of a stretch. I have lost many seedlings and had low germination too. These are things that I changed to be more successful and so far so good. But I appreciate your input even if you didn't read mine close enough before disputing about half of what I had said.
    Denny