Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Other friends who visit the garden - continued!

jel48
16 years ago

I liked this thread and there were so many great pics in it that I thought I'd start a continuation. It was a beautiful day here in Southern MN - a sunny 70 degree October 20th! I spent a good part of the day on the deck enjoying the visitors in my yard (new home, new yard, new visitors :-)

Comments (12)

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Neat!

I have noticed more activity at my feeders too. More nut hatches (both kinds)and lots of chickadees and juncos. The fall migration of cedar wax wings came and are gone as well as the goldfinches before them.

With the leaves thinning on the trees I can see more woodpeckers going up and down the branches.

Those pesky jays let me know they are still around by their loud calls and they chase all other birds away from the feeders when they swoop down.

I too have chipmunks storing sunflower seeds in my drain pipes or they are just hiding there till they can run to their holes to empty their bulging pouches.

We should all take the time to stop and watch mother nature at her best.

Connie

• Janice
    16 years ago

Again--such great pics., Joyce. I love the Chickadees--they are so *perky* and their chipping sounds are a delight to my ears. I love Wrens and Nuthatches (also perky), as well.

And, what would I do without my chipmunks!! I don't mind the Jays, in fact, I call them and they come. They don't stay around all that long, once I quit throwing them unsalted p-nuts! There seems to be enough of the stuff around here for them all--except--I don't want the hawks dining out in our yard, which they are tempted to do on occasion because of all the wildlife I've lured into our yard.

Squirrels, (use to have a white one come visist for several years but haven't seen it in a long time-sniff) chips, shrews, birds, toads (and hopefully more tree frogs next year) are all at their busiest right now! You'd think Fall is right around the corner, or something!! :O)
    {{gwi:893981}}

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Is your picture a find out how many things are hidden one? LOL I'll make a guess later! LOL

You do such neat graffics Janice. You have to tell all of us just what the name of your product is if it can be done with out getting you in trouble for advertising.

I have enough trouble just trying to type that I'm sure what ever you use would defeat me!!!

Connie

• Janice
    16 years ago

Yes, Connie, it kinda turned out to be a 'seek and find' sort of thing! I was going to use the original
    that I put together a couple of years ago, to say Happy Fall, back when I was 'the fox' but re-reading my post,
    I thought I'd include the Blue Jay and then before I was done I felt I had to include every other critter
    I named in my yard! I didn't get the shrew in there--couldn't figure out anyone would ever spot him, nor
    the hawk--cause I don't want him even in my created space!! I did include the crow, just cause it seems
    to be appropriate to the season!

I use Adobe Photo Elements!
    It's a version my husband had when he was working and I have had alot of fun with it, I must say!
    I'm glad you like what entertains me so much, when I have the time. Thankfully, it doesn't take me
    near as long as it did when I was just learning my way around it!

I don't think you'd be defeated--you'd be surprised how quickly you can get the hang of something
    you enjoy doing!

Janice

• Janice
    16 years ago

Joyce, I keep going back and looking at the last pic. of the Chickadee! The detail is so wonderful!
    It's amazing how you captured it so well, especially as flighty as they tend to be. They never
    just sit and eat at the feeders, in my yard. They pick out a morsel and take off for the tree
    heights to finish it up. You were very quick on the draw, I'd say!

What kind of camera are you using, may I ask?

Thanks for sharing your pics.! I always look forward to seeing them!

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Janice! I didn't spot your last post for a bit.... I was using my Canon D30 (older digital SLR) with a 300mm Image Stabilizer lens and 2x converter. The IS is what makes the real difference. It sharpened up my photos tremendously, as I don't normally use a tripod so am subject to a little camera shake.

Here's a couple squirrel pics from yesterday. I must have over a dozen of these guys living in my yard. There is a brood, litter (or whatever you call them) of half grown ones in the oak tree in front, plus several adults. One is always recognizable because it has about 2/3rds of it's tail missing! Anyway, I was standing in the corner of the deck yesterday taking bird pics when this guy came charging up the steps. He didn't even notice me until he was 3 steps (no more then 4 to 4 1/2 feet from me) from the top. He stopped but didn't run away. Fearless!

• Janice
    16 years ago

Well, I'd say you have a camera worth having, for sure!!

What cute squirrel pics.! They do get fearless if they get use to you for sure. Maybe, the folks living there previously fed them and tamed them abit for you! :o)

We have one with about the same amount missing from his tail, too. We call him 'Stubby'! He probably is the most shy, but he may have good reason to be more
    wary, given the missing tail event that must have happened in a most frightful way for him! He will come, if I call, but he does not rush up so close.

Does the little guy in your pics. have a swollen lip or jaw? It looks like it to me, in the pic. Probably an abcess if it is what it looks to be--very swollen. I bet he got
    a bite in a brawl with a foriegn squirrel coming into *his* territory or vice versa! They are VERY territorial, from what I've heard and seen!

Or, it could be an abcessed tooth---Poor guy!

Or, maybe just the angle of the pic.!!LOL

Are you feeding them yet? They LOVE black oil sunflower seed and unsalted p-nuts! But, I bet you know that already! :o)

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I noticed that swelling in the picture (they don't stay still long enough otherwise) but just thought he had a bunch of birdseed tucked in there. Now that you mentioned it, it does look like the hair has come off of that spot too, so maybe it was an injury. I'll have to watch and see if I can pick him out, out in the yard, although it's tough with so many of these guys around!

• Janice
    16 years ago

By the other way---is that snow on your decking??? It's been cooler here, for several days but I can't fathom snow yet!
    How long is your real winter season, usually?

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No snow yet, Janice, thank heaven! It was raining that day, and the light reflected off the deck like that. The deck floor and steps are made of that no-maintenance stuff (recycled milk jugs or something like that). I don't know if the type of material has something to do with the way it refleced or not. We've had a couple of frosty nights so far, that's it. The 10 day forecast does show a chance of snow flurries next Tuesday though :-(

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

I thought it was snow too!! I have too much fall cleanup to do so am not ready for snow yet. We have our first pile of leaves (under a tarp to keep them dry)ready to grind up and put in bags for spring and summer use.
    Lots more to fall before we are through.

Connie

• Janice
    16 years ago

Me too, Connie--I'm doing exactly as you've planned to do today, and will, (as you) bag the leaves after sending them
    through our wood-chipper and put them on my hosta after a hard freeze!

Hope it helps prevent the *freeze-thaw* phenom. that occured this past Spring!