Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What a Surprise!!!

Posted by i_dig_it z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 0:29

It has been a hectic week for me. One of my mothers caregivers up and quit, so I have been busy this week with running over there to tend to her and trying to find another fill-in caregiver.
The weather has been cold and gloomy with rain on and off for the past three days, which brought down most all the leaves, so everything including what remaining hosta there were, are covered with leaves for now.
Hubby has been working farther away than usual, so he's up extra early and home late. It seems like I haven't had time to catch my breath and have been too tired to post much here, but I was popping in for a bit just to read.
I was glad it's Friday and was hoping the weekend would help rejuvenate my strength.

I didn't even bother to bring in the mail today, it's usually just bills and junk anyway, lol. So when hubby got home and brought it in I saw an envelope with a peculiar looking "elf" on it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Suddenly my spirits were lifted! I opened it and found three packets of seed from Tokudama Flavocircinalis, Nakaiana and Paradigm.

The hosta Elf had paid me a visit! Thank you so much elf Teresa! I will surely have fun experimenting with my seeds.

Now, to my embarassment, I have to ask what does the OP mean after the Nakaiana and Paradigm? I am so new to hosta that I have never even seen a hosta seed before, though I did let a couple of stems on my Frances Williams form pods, I don't think they have opened yet. I'll check again tomorrow since the rain has finally let up. Anyway this will be a learning experience for me and I can't wait to see what grows!

I really feel honored that the Elf picked me to share some seeds with. Thank you so much!

Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What a Surprise!!!

OP is open pollination. Meaning, I'm not ambitious to be out in the garden trying to do the crosses myself. I let the bees do it for me.

Nakaiana is one hosta that is used in a number of breeding programs. Last year I did not cut off the scapes and next to the plant this year were dozens of little hostas coming up - no two looking alike. I don't think you can keep these seeds from germinating.

I picked you to receive seed packets because I knew you were fairly new to hostas. Have fun learning to grow them indoors. One day you may be out in your garden trying to do your own crosses. Who knows - you may come up with the next new hosta!

No pressure of course, but I wanted to remind you that there is no hosta named Teresa! :-)

o
RE: What a Surprise!!!

Oh how cool!

COngrats Janet! You are going to have so much fun with them and it is a great way to keep the winter blues at bay....

Hope you get some great plants!

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here