Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

Help me decide

chocolateis2b8
17 years ago

I've been thinking it's been a long time since I've done any cross stitch and would like to do some. I have a computer program that will make a pattern from any pic I can get in the computer.

I've narrowed the field down. Which of these do you guys like the best.

I'm kind of leaning towards the first, doesn't show hosta dog all that well, but does show some nice hostas. The second shows hosta dog real good and still has a nice hosta in it. But then again, the third has some nice color.

Comments (24)

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I would vote for the 3rd one. It is colorful AND shows some nice detail on Hosta Dog. I think the first would be tough to show dog detail and the second would be again very dark.

Alexa

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Definetely - go with the 3rd one. And what a nice piece it will make!

T

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

They are all beautiful! I am leaning toward #2. I love the really close shot of hosta dog, the color contrast and the textures with the fern and lily foliage in the corners. But I could be swayed to #3 for the colors or #1 because it shows more hostas.

Can't wait to see what you end up choosing :-)
    ~Angie

• buff24
    17 years ago

I like #2 the best... the close-up shot of hosta dog is very cool!! I think #1 would be too dark, and #3 might not end up showing very good detail with all the tiny little flowers...

Buff

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Choco,

The first one is nice, but the dog's face is in shadow. The second one is great, you see the dog's eyes. The third is very colorful with the mix of flowers and the dog. So, it depends on what you want to see highlighted...in #2 the dog or #3 the dog and daylilies. Personally I like the second one, lovely dog.

Make sure you show us the finished product!

PIM

• soccamutha
    17 years ago

#2...great pooch expression!

Becky

• Janice
    17 years ago

Definitely #2, in my book! What a cutie, and a great subject to preserve in that way IMHO! :O)

Enjoying your "vacation"?

janice

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

Number 2

• Janice
    17 years ago

What if we combined the best of all of them!

{{gwi:894075}}

• User
    17 years ago

All the pics are great however #2 is fantastic. Can your program pick up details like the curly dog hair?

What I really want to know, "Is hosta dog a dog model?"
    This dog looks absolutely adorable in all the pictures!

• micke
    17 years ago

I like #3 (I love all your daylilies)
    but I think the one you combined looks great too.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I like what Janice did combining them. And she brightened up the dog's eye on the right so it looks much better!

Teresa

• Janice
    17 years ago

Good "eyes", Teresa--I wondered if it would be noticed! LOL
    You must be "highly" visual, like me! :O)

janice

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Oh that is nice Janice, and yes, I can tell you brightened up that pup's eyes too. That is a pretty dog, I'm partial to poodles, they are almost human (no offense to any other breed...we actually bred schnauzers in years gone by).

Barbie, do you know the name of that spider daylily next to your hosta dog? That is beautiful!

• bunnycat
    17 years ago

Number 2 or Janice's version.

• mary52zn8tx
    17 years ago

I like the combo picture. What a sweet looking poodle, and the colors are just perfect. I am looking forward to your finished picture. How long does it take you to do one?

• chocolateis2b8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have decided, going with Janice's combined version. Thanks Janice, it is exactly what I needed.

I spent yesterday getting the pattern made and floss together, this morning getting the fabric prepared and actually got the first couple stitches in, 23 stitches down, 9,077 to go, zooming right along here, lol. This is going to be interesting, this is the first time I have done a project using my program, will be neat to see how it turns out. As to how long it will take, that will depend on how much time I'm able to put into it, I've had some projects take 6 months or more, but I do hope to get it done this winter.

Sorry Donna, can't tell you the name of that daylily. It does have a name, just don't know what it is. I went to a daylily/iris show years ago and the sales clerk took a shine to me for some reason and gave me 3 grocery bags full of daylily fans and iris roots that had lose their tags so couldn't be sold, most buyers there were collectors that insisted on names. Unfortunally my family was visiting at the same time and I had to split the booty with them, but I did end up with some beautys, just don't know the names of them.

Ok, back to stitching, now that I'm getting into it, I'll be doing it in every free second for a while.

BTW, thanks for the compliments on hosta dog, he's my absolute best friend in the whole world. No, he never was a dog model, he's just a ham, lol.

• Janice
    17 years ago

You will be posting a pic of your finished "project" won't you, Choco?
    Glad you liked the "combo-pic"--my pleasure, for sure! :O)

janice

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I think Janice's combination photo will look beautiful!

• micke
    17 years ago

My husband had a poodle years ago, had to show him the pics of Hosta dog, he said what I thought he would say, "that looks just like George" his was a size smaller then yours though, I will never forget the year he gave George a mohawk (he was only 17 at the time, I warned him he shouldn't do it) but I have to say the look on his mothers face when she came in and seen it was well worth the ear blistering she gave him, and I actually think George held his head higher after that haircut.

• hostared
    17 years ago

Hi Cross stitch buddy,
    Barb I like the combo the best. Although I do like #3 because of the color combo's. I think #1 could get boring in CS because of all the green. You need the blast of color to get you through the piece. If you could place a more varigated hosta next to Hosta Dogs head it could balance out the picture. Just a suggestion. Post it when you completed it.
    Gloria

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

The combo is perfect and a great choice. I'm impressed. How did you do that? Lots of talented people here!

• chocolateis2b8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I've been working most mornings on the stitching, I did go with Janice's combined pic. Didn't realize how much I missed spending my sleepless nights listening to a audio book and stitching away, it's very peaceful. I'm now on my 4th book and have it about 1/3 done, maybe less. Kind of excited about it since not only is the first piece I've done from my program, but also the first I ever made just for myself.

• Janice
    17 years ago

How wonderful, Choco! And you don't even have to worry about being up too late to get up so early
    to get to work the next day! I know you are enjoying this time of relaxation and downright fun with
    your stichery and listening!! :O) A well earned time for yourself and a wonderful piece of artwork, as well!

Keep us posted as to your progress!

And, thankyou, "dirtdiva", I'm glad you like my efforts. I use Adobe Photoshop,
    "cutting and pasting" etc. to bring it all together! I love doing that sort of thing
    so am always happy to do such as I can, being self-taught and all--definitely not
    a "pro" but I am learning as I go! :O)

janice

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus