Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

What is this hosta?

Teresa_MN
17 years ago

I bought this last year and it was labeled Thunderbolt. I already had a Thunderbolt - but this was $3 and I bought thinking maybe for a trade.

It does not look like Thunderbolt - at first I was thinking GE - but now the leaves are doing a ripply thing similar to Guardian Angel. However, this late in the season the coloration has gone out of my real Guardian Angel. Any ideas? These photos were taken last nite.

Comments (16)

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Teresa my first thought was GA. It sure looks like my baby. I'll look around for a pic and see if I have one.

Donna

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought so too - but it's doing too well to be GE. It even sprouted another eye this spring. This is contrary to the other GE's I've grown that have withered and died! :-)

I thought I was posting this on the main forum - I'm having a blond morning.....no hate mail please!

I don't think I'm allowed to post in both places so I'll have to hope I get the answer here.

T

• micke
    17 years ago

No you cannot post on the other forum, so why not send it to my house where I can really look it over :)
    (well you said you bought it thinking to trade it, just trying to help you out with that)
    I am not sure what it is, but I sure do like it.
    maybe if you posted it under another heading in a few days?

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

I didn't know we couldn't post on both forums. I think I already did. :-/

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Teresa, At first I was thinking GA, then I thought Jim Matthews, but now that i look at my pics, they really don't appear to be either of them. What about Eskimo Pie?

Guardian Angel division
    {{gwi:894383}}

Jim Matthews division
    {{gwi:894384}}

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is the center of Eskimo Pie more white than cream or yellow? This plant is pale yellow in the center.

• hostarox
    17 years ago

I bought a Hosta last year that looked alot like your pic called Golden Meadows. I lost it over winter, though.
    Mine looked more like your pic than the one at the Hosta Library does.
    Who knows? Maybe you have yourself a Thunderbolt sport. sometimes there is variances coming out of the TC labs.
    Pay close attention when it flowers next year, and compare it to the Thunderbolt you already had.

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

good idea rox - I was thinking the same thing - about the variances in TC labs. Or in the culling process.

The nursery I got it from did not carry Eskimo Pie or Golden Meadows last year or this year. They have 30 of the basics and occasionally throw in one or two newer varieties.

I don't remember if it flowered this year or not.

T

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I think I may have it,Teresa! Here is my Summer Music. I think it looks a lot like it! Phil
    {{gwi:894385}}

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I don't think it is SUmmer Music either. I have one and the edges are much wider on my Summer Music than the one in Teresa's photo.

Teresa, I know you have an extensive collection of named hostas, you really don't want a NOID in your garden do you? I didn't think so.... just to help you out you should send that one to me so you can be sure of all the names in your hosta bed! LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• ademink
    17 years ago

teresa, is it a tetrapoid or is it a "lettuce" leaf like summer music? it looks thick, like cabbage. Can you tell I'm hungry? LOL

It does have the pointy tips and substance of Tbolt, it seems....but I dunno. It looks a LOT like my young GE too. I hope it's a Tbolt variance! Fun!

Speaking of which, my Thunderbolt is out there as we speak looking AMAZING. Every time I see it, I'm impressed. It looks fake it's so perfect!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I looked again last nite and it does not look like my summer music either.

Alexa - I think micke already offered to take it off my hands! :-)

It will be interesting to see what this thing becomes!

T

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cabbage Andrea? Here you go!

Oh wait - this is kale.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Teresa what a lovely color combination!

• ademink
    17 years ago

Ha!!! LOL