Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papou_gw

Before and After...23 years After that is...

papou
15 years ago

23 years ago when I built my house with Therese, I constructed this concrete slab that is shown in this 2007 pic:

During 2008 I started this major project of constructing a screened room over the slab (we call it the "Florida room")...did all the rough work, and once the roof was done, I experienced my Pulmonary Ambolism...followed by my cancer...and had to obtain help from a contractor to finish the job. The final result is shown on this next pic. This screened room is something that DW Therese wanted for a long time...and I'm happy that I could deliver her request during 2008....the year of our 50th marriage anniversary,,,and all is nice on Therese's 72nd birthday last October 9:

Papou

Comments (10)

• newhostaaddict
    15 years ago

very nice Papou...

hope you are doing well...

and...Congrats on the 50 years you 2 are together...

praying for many more...

jill

• jel48
    15 years ago

Papou, you have created a fine room for Therese. I wish the two of you many happy hours spent together in the new Florida room!

• Janice
    15 years ago

What a wonderful commemoration of your 50th anniversary and Therese's birthday! I hope
    and PRAY you are enjoying your 'Florida Room'! I grew up in Florida and lived there till we
    married in 1968, so I know 'Florida rooms' and yours is really FINE!!!

BTW---did you do the faux brick job on the slab yourselves?
    Very nice job!!!

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

Papou, I remember seeing another thread showing this new room, but these pictures show the wonderful detail from the beginning to the wholly finished project. I also remember the entire sweep of steps that featured some of your favorite Hosta from your gardens. Now you can sit in your new room and view at least some of the outstanding gardens that are within view. And the inside of the porch must look gorgeous also with that stone wall as a backdrop. I want to extend to you both the best of wishes on your 50th anniversary and also hope you are feeling good. :O) Mary

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Happy 50th Anniversary Papou & Therese,how nice to know a couple have been married as long as the two of you have, a true reason to celerbrate your annivesary for sure.
    Were you able to go any where,of course, with such a beautiful setting as yours, one really does not need to go any where, you have done an amazing job with all you have accomplished over the years,and to share it all with us is so very kind of you.
    I raise my glass in toast to the both of you.:0)
    Carol

• papou
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are so nice! Many thanks!
    Joyce, Therese and I will be using the Florida room next year...and we look forward to it. The area is not heated and the days have gotten colder lately. We have laid down on the 2 lounge chairs which we got as a gift from my family and friends.
    Janice, the flooring is made of ceramic tiles which I have laid with my son Marc.
    Jill, I'm doing just fine. I have adjusted to my new lifestyle. Inasmuch as I do not like to inject myself each day with Lovenox, nevertheless I got used to it...and this is part of my daily routine now. I dont feel sick, I eat well, somethimes my bones ache but nothing serious that I cannot endure. I keep busy, and take life one day at a time...Who knows?...I may live many years yet!
    Mary, you remember well. I have transplanted my best looking hostas on one side of the concrete steps, so Therese and I will have a perfect view next summer.
    Carol, we went to see my brother Mau in Montreal...and when we got there...surprise...all members of our families and friends were there to celebrate our 50th. It was a wonderful gathering! Thanks for your toast....

Papou

• Janice
    15 years ago

Awesome *tile* work, then!!! Either way--looks wonderful!

Yes, you will live as long as the good Lord has assigned you Papou,
    no matter what those in the medical industry may tell you!

Psalm 139:13 For You formed my inward parts;
    You wove me in my mother's womb.
    14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    Wonderful are Your works,
    And my soul knows it very well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from You,
    When I was made in secret,
    And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
    16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
    And in Your book were all written
    The days that were ordained for me,
    When as yet there was not one of them.
    17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
    18 If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand
    When I awake, I am still with You.

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Beautiful room Papou, I would spend my mornings and evenings there. Does it have a view of the water? I don't remember where your patio is situated.

And I too keep you in my prayers. I am glad to hear that you are faring well. May God keep you well.

PIM

PS: Congratulations on your 50th anniversary, what a blessing to live so long with the one you love and cherish. May you celebrate many more years together.

• hostasformez4
    15 years ago

Well done and Congratulations on 50 years with your bride. Glad to hear you are doing better. Life should be savored one day at a time as you are doing.

Wishing you many wonderful days enjoying your new room with a view!

Connie

• chevy57red
    15 years ago

Beautiful room to remind the 2 of you of your winters in Florida!! Which I hope that you may still do.
    Congratulations on your 50th. Such a huge milestone now a days!!
    I wish you all the best!!
    Don't forget, you were the one that answered my first question on GW back 5 years ago now.
    Tokudama Flavo Circinalis or not!!!
    And my collection still grows!!
    Sheila

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022