Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostafreak

Social networks

hostafreak
11 years ago

I keep seeing things on TV about social networks,and I don't tweet,facebook,or any of those things,but are we a social network? If so,I am in. Anyone out there even reading this side of the forum? Just curious! Phil

Comments (6)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I'm on Facebook and I have a blog, but I don't have Twitter. I also have a MySpace page, but I don't do anything with it so it just sits there in limbo. I do update my blog regularly. I occasionally take a peek on this side of the forum.

Karen

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Phil, I joined Facebook to keep up with nieces and cousins, but I am thinking of deactivating. The only reason I haven't done so yet is that several of my imaginary friends from another forum have switched to FB and now use it more than GW these days. Can't decide what to do!

I do think we are sort of a social network-to answer your question-one centered around a common interest in Hosta!

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

My wife recently joined facebook,and now,it seems,she has opened a pandora's box of people she doesn't even know,and more keep popping up! One of the reasons I never got on it,is because of all the weirdos out there,and I'm not counting the people on the hosta forum as them,of course! Lol! Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Phil She can set the viewing to strictly to her friends and setting do not have to be public. Good to not give important info on this site but a nice way to share pictures with family and FRIENDS only

• User
    11 years ago

Well, I know what you mean about people popping up. What I don't like about FBook is the "invites" and the "pokes" .... I mean, why would I want to POKE SOMEBODY? Sheesh.

When I first joined it was fun, but then the underside of the group started revealing its true nature. It was the ultimate invasion of privacy, and a massive marketing tool. I went back and removed all information about myself.

What I find potentially hazardous or dangerous is the uploading of information about young children, their school, their after school activities, and pictures of young teens with all their developing egos and personalities trying to be grownup. Plus, some cameras give fine location information and that can lead a predator to the door. How in the world do parents raise children in such an alien world? It takes courage to have kids!

It was mentioned on MSNBC I think it was, that the social networks and Internet information is like trash in space...it is always going to be OUT THERE. What you say can impact you in various ways, like a potential employer searching the Internet and photos of you uploaded and identified by a "friend".. Not that I have many photo-ops, but I specified in my profile that no one could identify me in photos without my knowledge or consent. I suppose that is still in effect, just haven't tried to test it.

Perhaps LinkedIn and other professional networks are useful, if you need to be out there, but for us retired woodland flowers who prefer to blush unseen, or prefer to work behind the scenes, I can do without it.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Well, you and me, hostafreak. I keep getting urged to join Facebook, but can't understand why anyone would give up their time and privacy to a gigantic marketing machine. Maybe some day - in the dog's name, and with privacy set as high as possible.

GW is social network enough for me.