Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

What weird things make your hair stand on end?

ademink
17 years ago

Along the same vein as Janice's hilarious "compulsions" thread, I thought this might be a fun one!

What weird things make your hair stand on end? For example, is it fingernails on a chalkboard? I'll start! Buckle your seatbelts, this might take a while. LOL

I can't stand the feel of brown, recycled paper towels.

I also can't stand the feel of cardboard.

If I'm going to read the newspaper, I have to do it w/ dishgloves on...roflol...I can't stand the dry feel of the newspaper for an extended time!

I hate the sound of people dragging their feet across a concrete floor...like in flip-flop shoes.

I hate the feel of the paper on crayons.

I hate to use a pencil that isn't completely sharp. The WORSE is when the lead breaks and you scratch the wood across the paper. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Ok, I need to go say 10 hail mary's now. LOL!!!!

your turn!

andrea

Comments (37)

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I hate to be near someone chewing with their mouth open,and smacking their lips!

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ew! I hate that too! Especially when they make the little grunty sound along with it! It's like eating with Wilbur.

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

With me, it's dried dirt on my hands, but on the other side, I can't stand to wear gloves. So as I garden, I keep a bucket of water or hose next to me at all times, weed or plant a little, wash my hands, weed or garden a little, wash my hands. It doesn't bother me that the water in the bucket gets dirty, I don't care, as long as I can wash the dirt off my hands before it dries on my hands, it's not the dirt on my hands, it's if that dirt gets dry on my hands. This goes into other aspects of my life, any kind of powder on my hands makes me nuts, I can not put talcum powder on, it would get on my hands, I can not wear kitchen gloves, they have powder in them, I just can not stand anything dry and powdery on my hands, no other part of my body, just my hands.

And static shock on my fingers. I have next to run out of the grocery store in the winter when the static shock is at it's worse. I must be the sight, brushing my arm against freezer doors or rows of cans to ground myself before I open the door or pick up a can. But that stems from my fear of being electricuted, if I do anything to ever warrent the death sentence, do anything you want to me, but do not strap me in that electric chair, lol. Funny thing is, I am actually a very good electrician, I do all the electrical work in the house, but you better believe, every fuse in that room and the joining rooms is tripped and I work with flashlights, lol.

• soccamutha
    17 years ago

Oooooh, I can't let this one go unanswered.

I detest the sound of people "cracking" their necks and/or backs. Like cracking the knuckles, but that doesn't bother me.

Becky

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Choco...yeah...I can relate to that one too. LOL Oh my, I'm a mess. I hate that dry dirt feeling. I CAN do gloves though.

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

I can't stand the feel of a metal nail file. The worst is if it's in a purse with a silky lining.

My mother's "hair standing up" issues were pretty unique. Besides nail files of any kind she couldn't touch tennis balls or peaches.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

The fingernails on the chalkboard always got to me as a kid. I can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Oh wait.................... my hair stood on end for a moment when eKn dropped in the other day for a moment! :-)

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't do the peach thing either - I can only eat one if it's peeled or the peach is wet. LOL!!!! Also, if my teeth grate against the pit...AHHHH!!!!!

ok, I think I officially need therapy! ha!

• User
    17 years ago

I can't look at raw chicken, especially skinless. It's a good thing my husband cooks because chicken is a mainstay in our dinner diet. When I took a public speaking course, a woman did a demonstration speech on how to cut up a whole raw chicken. I was gagging through the whole thing.

The other thing that has almost made me sick right on the checkout counter in a convenience store is the pierced ears with 1/2 inch wide holes. If I can see the whole store layout through the hole in someone's ear, I have to leave quickly. How can anyone do that to themselves (I apologize if I have offended any form members with large gage holes in their ears .... it gives me the creeps just saying "large gage holes").

I also can't stand it when someone finds out that I collect hosta and they say, "I hate hosta", out loud! If they collected fancy tea cups or antique cars, I would never view their collection and tell them how much I hate the items. I don't think any other collection gets the verbal disrespect that hosta get!

And I couldn't think of anything for this topic...don't get me going!

• User
    17 years ago

I also hate it when I think I have checked ALL the spelling in a post and I find that I cannot spell the word gauge correctly!

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Today I discovered something else that made my hair stand up on end. My dsl service was out and I had to resort to the prehistoric method called dial up. I mean, it was like, I couldn't even lay on my couch and use my laptop, how primitive! LMAO.

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Newspaper. Nothing is worse than having wet newspaper or damp hands touching newspaper. The thought of it makes me cringe!

I also can't stand anyone touching my belly button, but that may be too much information...ha ha.

• buff24
    17 years ago

I think my main thing is I hate to have anything on my hands. That includes anything under my nails too, especially under the nails. I hate dirt, powder, newsprint, and especially lotion on the palms of my hands. I will rub lotion on my legs or arms, then promptly wash and thoroughly dry my hands to make sure none is left there.

And maybe this will offend some people here, and since I have no children yet, I probably shouldn't say anything, but I go crazy when people allow their children to misbehave in public, and the parents don't do anything about it. I know what you are all thinking... "Just wait until you have one of your own, you'll understand!" I've heard it a million times, but it still drives me bonkers to see kids behavior go un-checked in public.

It also drives me crazy to know if there is a house fly flying around my house, and to hear it bouncing off the windows. I have to get up and grab the fly swatter and stalk the fly until I kill it.

Choc, I also can't stand using dial-up... my folks and hubby's folks are still on dial-up, and when they ask me to help them with their computer, or if I'm there for a visit and I have to check email or GW, it drives me up the wall to sit and wait for the pages to load.

Soccamutha... you wouldn't be able to be around me for long. I crack my toes, ankles, knees, hips, back, neck, knuckles, wrists, and sometimes even my sternum.

I also can't stand having anything foreign in my shoes. And being a gardener this is especially an issue because I am all the time getting dirt or little rocks or whatever in my shoes. I have to stop, remove shoes, shake out whatever's in there, put shoes on again and go.

And I really, really, really, really hate the smell of cigarette smoke. I absolutely cannot stand being around it, especially in a restaurant setting. Yuck. Sorry to offend those of you out there who may be smokers, but this is just my opinion.

Ok, so now that you all know what stuff bothers me and "makes my hair stand on end," I hope you don't think I'm too weird!

Buff

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

This is all very interesting. I'm begining to think that Hosta people maybe are a little more nuts than most. That's ok, it's the excentric coming out in us. The dead chicken thing and newspaper and hand problem, I never would have thought of. From stuff that gives you the willies to stuff that makes you crazy - we seem to be exploring both. I'm with Buff as to cigarette smoke. I have sympathy for those addicted especially my generation who didn't know any better. I have less than zero tolerance for being around it though. I have lost all my family with the exception of my sister and a couple cousins to diseases related to smoking. You could say I'm rather radical on the subject. My other "pet peave" is music in restaurants or malls or anywhere I don't want to hear it. It is so invasive and such a personal choice as to what's pleasing, I'd rather listen to a chain saw, tracter or just about anything else.

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Buff, the only thing I will say about children acting up in public is if it's a matter of the parent standing their grounds about, let's say, the kid wanting something and the parent saying no and the kid having a fit, I side with the parent. Let the kid scream all they want, as long as the parent stands their grounds on the matter, may be embarassing for the parent at the time, but does teach the kid in the long run. To me that is showing the kid that they can not run the show no matter what tactics they use, been there, done that with my God daughters when they were younger and they sure learned that they could scream all they wanted, I would not back down. I sure wasn't going to have a pair of spoiled brats running my life, I was going to teach them the proper way.

But if it is a matter of the parents letting the kids run wild, I agree with you. Kids do need need to learn how to behave in public and I'm sorry to say, I see too many parents who do not conceive this idea, they seem to have the 'my kid can do no wrong' concept. I was responcible for my God daughters for a good deal of their lives and they sure learned that I will not accept them misbehaving in public. Now I can take them into public situations and get nothing but compliments on what wonderful, charming, well behaved girls they are. All I can do is thank the person and then roll my eyes because I know the little monsters will show their true selves in private, lol. But the point is, they do know how to behave in public situations, I made sure of that.

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

Choc - you're absolutely right. A few times of taking a stand is so important. Some parents are too embarased in public but once the child knows the power they have - look out. I'm having a very clear memory of my oldest (now 23) in a grocery store. He wanted something I'd said no to and was having a tantrum (terrible 2's). He threw himself down in the bread isle kicking and screaming. I steped over him and went on. People looked at me pretty weird, but he got up in a moment and never tried that again. A few moments of feeling like a spectacle saved me years of power struggles.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm *loving* this thread! SO interesting! We are a bunch of freaks. LOL *poking Jen in the belly button* I hate that too.

I also want to puke at the holes in the ears. I don't know why it freaks me out. I could never be a national geographic photographer in some native tribe where they stretch out their necks and lips and lobes. I'd be ALL inappropriate. LOL!!!

• silvergold
    17 years ago

Well, Buff I'm with you on regarding children acting up in public and smoking. Well, the other thing actually goes with the compulsive thread - but I hate going to other people's houses if they are really dirty.

• micke
    17 years ago

I don't like the holes in the ears either (okay I have 8 total in the ears, but they are all small and you cannot tell they are there unlees I have earrings in) also the body piercings the eyebrow, lip and the one that is not in the lobe but actually in the ear, yuk!!!!! belly piercings can be cute, but only if you are built for it (jeff foxworthy has a good skit on that)
    I also hate anything to do with electricity, and I cannot count the times I have tried to avoid the milk aisle 'cause of it, I just run the back of my hand quickly across the handles of the freezer before opening (goes back to childhood, raising hogs and electric fence, don't ask)
    Kids, I can't stand them throwing fits either in the store, BUT we don't have to go home with those kids, the parents do, so I just smile and move on, all the while praying my 5 year old will not see something he cannot live without, lol!!!!!!!!

• buff24
    17 years ago

I knew my post would spark a little conversation... Choc, I actually agree with you. If the parent has said no, and they are allowing the child to act out just to take a stand and show them they can't always get what they want, then I agree with letting the child act up. If the parent is just doing nothing and letting the child run wild in a restaurant or grocery or whatever, that's when I have a problem. My thing is I guess I expect a parent to remove a child from the offending situation, i.e. get up and take them out of the restaurant, to try and calm them down or take them to the bathroom or whatever. I guess I will find all this out someday when I have kids of my own!!

Buff

• Janice
    17 years ago

I think you have the right idea, Buff! If they are acting up, running wild, having a "fit",
    especially in a restaurant, then they need to take the "little darling" out for some serious
    "talking to", or whatever "discipline" is appropriate for the "offense", then, if they settle down,
    bring them back.

I do agree, if they are having the fit, because they can't have "something" or do not want to
    "cooperate" then allowing them to do their thing and getting no reward or benefit from
    the "act" is a good thing, but, if it goes on too long, I say "remove them" and "deal with
    them" outside of the store!

I do not think it is at all "considerate" of others to allow a child to disrupt and ruin
    someone's dinner, lunch, breakfast--whatever, having their personal "issues" or "fits"!
    The exercise of "consequences or discipline" should be dealt with more privately,
    leaving those who've "been there and done that" already, (especially) some enjoyable
    time left to themselves!

And that includes church services. If the child cannot keep "silent" within reason,
    then they should be removed by the parent or be put in a nursery till they are old enough
    to respect and understand the need for "silence" at worship! Very young babies,infants,
    should be taken out when they start crying till their needs are met and then return!

And, NEVER, bring an infant to a wedding service!! This is a very special time in the lives
    of the "couple" and often is being video-taped and such a disruption can really break the
    reverence of the very special occasion!! I can't even imagine anyone would do that,
    but I have witnessed that they do! Even if one "starts" to cry, it is a mood breaker
    and you can't leave fast enough to correct it!

With that, gotta run or we will be very "inconsiderate" walking in late to church! LOL

janice

• megaul
    17 years ago

The stopper, (is that what it's called) to the kitchen sink makes my skin crawl!
    You know what I mean? It's that thing that has holes in it to catch foreign objects from going down the drain?

I don't care if it's a piece of lint or a kernel of corn caught in the thing, it makes me gag to clean it out! And, when it's something unidentifiable, (major freak out!!) I have to call my husband to do it! YUUUUUUCK!!!!

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Ok, found another thing that drives me nuts and you guys better help me here because it is all your fault.

I can not stand not remembering where a song comes from. Music is another driving passion in my life and I also happen to love movie musicals, especially classical musicals.

These threads have made the song 'getting to know you' stick in my head and I can not remember what musical or play it's from, it's driving me nuts, I can not stand not knowing where a song came from. I can sing it word for word, I can get glimpses in my mind of it being sung, but I can not remember where it came from. I have even put on some head banging heavy metal to get this song out of my mind, but nothing will get it out of my head until I remember where it came from.

Someone help me here before I get so nuts I end up running naked through the hostas, it's just too cold today to do that, lol.

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

The King and I - the original with Debrah Kerr and Yul Brenner

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

I think??? Now you've got me wondering?

• Janice
    17 years ago

You are SO RIGHT, McT!!! Congratulations, and thanks, Choco, because now I have those lyrics,
    and her (Deborah Kerr's) voice going through my head--and I bet it will be all day long!!!LOL

Janice

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

BINGO, thank you, that was driving me nuts. Now I want to watch the movie. Sorry about that Janice, could have been a worse song, lol.

• anitamo
    17 years ago

I hate not having a live being answer the phone when I make a business call: to the doctor, a store, utility company (the worst) etc. What has happened to customer service in this country?

I hate buying that cool new toothbrush, but when I get in home I find it doesn't fit in the toothbrush holder. Why can't someone design a toothbrush holder with larger holes that accomodate the new fangled brushes? I mostly use an electric one, but like to use the standard one for quick brushes.

I can put up with unruly children a lot more than rude adults. It's amazing how ignorant and just plain inconsiderate some adults can be. At least with kids, you figure they still have time to learn to be nice, but with adults, that time is running out and odds are against them changing for the better.

I hate those inside tags on my shirts. I cut them out, or else they would drive me crazy. My grandson is like this too. He won't put a shirt on until the tag is cut off.

Sorry, my pierced ears have somewhat bigger holes than normal. It's due to wearing heavy, large, hoop earrings that got caught in my brush when I first got them pierced in junior high. I NEVER go out in public without earrings in, so no need to avert your eyes when you see me coming. LOL.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

I detest smoke in general (cigarettes, cigars, incense, candles, etc.) and have real problems sitting next to people that either have on too much fragrance, or not enough (body odor, ACK!). Won't ever date a smoker, kissing him would be like licking an ash tray!!

I dislike misbehaved children in public as well, not just those that are loud. I was shopping at a local mall and a young child was destroying an item in a department store, trying to open up the item. His mother was standing chatting with her friend while the child did this right under her nose. I simply spoke softly to the child and asked him one simple question, "Don't you have a mother?" She stopped her conversation abruptly, reprimanded her son, ignored me, and walked away. I got my point across. I want to know what is wrong with people that they don't "train" their children. Kudos to you all who do!

Also, I get the shivers when I get a paper cut...got one from aluminum foil last week and was dancing all around the kitchen, because it upset my stomach, not because it hurt my finger. LOL!

As for raw chicken, I don't mind looking at it, but if I have a bunch of skinless pieces I need to "clean", I can't eat the finished meal, it just grosses me out too much. Can't get all those slimy little pieces out of my mind.

• goldedger
    17 years ago

Not sure how "weird" they are but these things bother me:

Like Anitamo, the tags on shirts/tops drive me nuts, I usually take them off with a seam ripper and am always amazed at how "very well" they're sewn on, sometimes I have to resort to just cutting them off.

People that don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom or before handling food........even when I see it done (or not done) in a movie. Producers pay such attention to the tiniest detail you would think they would get that one right.

TV sets where the color is so bright - people's faces are an orange color - I want to adjust the color.

Biting into a piece of fat in meat or gristle...Eeewwww Yuck

June

• hostarox
    17 years ago

OK--I thought of a few things that really bug me.
    People that constantly turn the channel on the tv. I know, alot of you probably do this, but it drives me nuts!

Another one (this is wierd) is when I am cooking and someone else messes with the food. If I am grilling for a group of people and I slip into the house to get something, nothing annoys me more than to come back outside and someone is standing there re-arranging, turning. Don't they realize some parts of the grill get hotter, and I put things where I did for a reason?? I am the same way inside. My DH figured it out years ago. Sometimes I will have something on the stove simmering and He will go over and start stirring it, making all the noise he can, smiling at me the whole time. Well then, I have to laugh! But, it still makes my hair stand on end!

One more--young overweight girls with big stomachs wearing lowcut jeans and midriff tops. Don't these girls have a mirror at home?? LOL.

• micke
    17 years ago

hostarox, my husband does the same thing! ohh it makes me soo mad, he is always saying he can cook as good as I can, so one night he went over and starting turning the chicken, I very sweetly said "thank you for helping me, would you mind finishing up so I can go fold these clothes?" The Chicken was not as crispy and the gravy was not as tasty and had quite a few unusual lumps in it, I really don't think he has done that to me since.

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Ok, I remembered another thing today that I just can't stand.

I hate the feeling on your hands when you spray Shout or some other stain cleaner on the clothes. Then when you touch other clothes, it's just a gross feeling on your hands.

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

hi all...

well...don't know if this makes my "hair stand on end"...
    but...it scares the "crap" out of me for sure...

i absolutely can NOT walk over a "swinging bridge"...like the one at Ruby Falls....

once,,,when i was younger,,,our school went on a field trip,,,and while i was on one of those things,,,,some other kids thought it would be "Real Fun",,,to start swinging it,,,

that pretty much took care of me ever going on one again,,,
    i "Tried" to go over the one at Ruby Falls....got 2 steps and had to turn back....

jill

• chris-e
    12 years ago

Styrofoam in any form but especially if I am supposed to drink from it or eat off it. I can't do it, I have to put my drink and food on something else or I can't eat it. One of my brothers is the same way.

chris

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

This has been a fun read.
    Lat week when I was grocery shopping, looking through the meat section, a man and his son were there, the son,( about 8 years old, had a large plastic dinosoare,he dropped it a few times, got bored waiting for his dad, so decided he would take the tail of his toy,and poke it into all the meat,not being content with that, he starts poking his finger into the meat,all while the dad was right next to him.
    I said to the dad," Your son just poked his toy into all the meat," he says to me,"Ya, whatever!Grabs a few steaks and walks away.I pulled all the meat,and gave it to the butcher,who,I hope, threw it out.I noticed, he did buy the meat his son "played" with.
    My SIL. took her young daughter grocery shopping one day,they always stopped for a bubblegum ice cream cone when they were done, this day, her daughter was not behaving,and :demanded: they go get an ice cream,now!
    When they were done shopping, she brought her daughter home, then went back out,alone,when she came home, she was chewing some bubble gum from the ice cream, her daughter wanted to know where she got it, she told her, "Well, we always stop for an ice cream, but you were so naughty, when I brought you home, I went and got one for my self"It sure was good, had extra gum in it this time, as she blew a bubble.She never has trouble with her after that, I thought that was brilliant.
    Not much bothers me,although, I can relate to the swinging bridge,when my children were small, the husband,thought it would be fun to " swing" the bridge,some things are just Not funny.To this day, I hate them, also, my youngest does not like to drive over bridges,he don't know why. Ha!
    cAROL

• Cricket_Love
    12 years ago

I have MANY! But my BIGGEST ONE, is STRAY HAIR!!! And, of all things, I have long hair. So, there is ALWAYS a flipping hair somewhere. I especially dislike them on my pillow! My next in line BIG ONE, is ANYTHING on my bed sheets!!!!! I NEED them spotless!!! Imagine this, with a house full of animals! They track everything! My husband will crack up every night when I go to turn the bedspread back, and I immediately start dusting and wiping off the bed! DRIVES ME INSANE!
    Next in line would be touching cotton sheets out of the bath or shower! I can NOT stand that feeling! Makes my skin crawl, and my teeth feel funny just thinking about it!

Cricket

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH