Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megaul

Janice, don't waste your time

megaul
17 years ago

Janice, I don' think you really want to be wasting your time 'lining up' your posts, when it really has very little to do with how we see them.

Here's a little test to show you what I mean:

Here's a screen shot of your post when I had my bookmarks open at the left side of my page, which I freq. do: (Don't you just LOVE screen shots!!)

And, here's a screen shot of that same post when I have my bookmarks closed:

Can you see what I'm saying? It depends on how we have our computers set up as to how we see the posts. And, besides, they both look fine to me!

Just trying to free up a little of your time for more posts, pictures, graphics, etc! :-)

Besides, we know you love us no matter how it all lines up! :-)

Comments (15)

• Janice
    17 years ago

LOLOL, Marsha!!! Point well made! Thank you, so much for taking the time to try and "help" me!! But, I may be "hopeless" as well as "helpless"!

I LOVE your graphic AND by the way, why aren't you doing so many of your really neat signatures??? I miss those!!!

You are right, I do love you and "us" all, as a hosta-family and beyond!!!! I've become "compulsive" about having to check this forum out, almost the first thing in the a.m.; before I leave to go anywhere; first thing when I come back; between loads of laundry; before dinner; after dinner and the last thing before going to bed!!! Now that is "sick"!!!!LOL

Do you mind if I "snatch" your darling graphic? I just love that!!!!

janice

That really is neat how you "captured" the whole screen thing! I don't know how to do that!!!!! There is SO much to learn about using computers--that's what I've come to love about them--on a good day, that is! (smile)

Did you notice that I didn't "edit" this one!!! Oh the agony!!!!

• ademink
    17 years ago

It shows up perfectly!

• hostasformez4
    17 years ago

Janice,

Keep doing what you're doing!

I hate it when some posts run past my screen edge and I have to change my margins to find out what they wrote and then I loose my place then I change back!

Hope that makes sence to you. I never know how my posts are going to come out when I do them so it's usually a surprise when they come out readable. Could it have something to do with the type of computer people use or is it up to GW as to how it comes out? I have always wondered about that.

Now spelling is my major downfall with typing being second. I have my dictionary at hand and really try to do my best to send out posts that are some what correct but not always. Even though I change my mistakes when I reread them when I first submit there still seems to be some little thing that I miss. It's a good thing we live in an imperfect world!!!!!
    If only GW furnished "spell check"!

Connie

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Janice, got to think of it this way, you may get over this compulsion, but that will only give you time to develope another. After all, what would we be without our compulsions? Got to give the people in our lives something about us to talk about behind our backs, makes their lives so much worth while, lol.

• jel48
    17 years ago

Gardenweb will automatically wrap the text to fit your monitor and the settings on your computer. That happens so long as you don't manually try to line things up by doing an where you think the break is.

In Gardenweb, and probably any other forum, the times that you see the text run off the side of the screen are the times that someone has posted a very large image in the post. That's because the large image will force an abnormally wide text area and text will automatically be wrapped at the width of the photo. I'll see if I can do some examples.

• ademink
    17 years ago

That is 100% correct.

• megaul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Janice, for sure you can snatch the cute graphic. Don't remember where I got it back in my 'gif' collecting days. But, I've used it a lot.

If you want to learn about screen shots, they are really easy, especially if you used Irfanview. Since I use that, it would be easy to explain. Let me know.

And, jel48, thanks so much for your input and examples. That makes it even clearer, I think.

And, just for, you, Janice, I'll try to post more of my signatures now that we have a conversation side and we can 'do our own thing'. Too bad we can't incorporate sound. I have collected tons of sound files in wav and midi format in my collection day, too. Made for some interesting, and hopefully entertaining emails.

I can totally relate to being addicted to the forum! I check it every chance I get. You forgot the one about getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and stopping by to check out the forum for a second! :-=)

Aren't we silly!

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

I think I know a solution for Janice's compulsion :-) What you are trying to do, Janice, is justify your margins, right? If this works, I will e-mail you the way I did it so you can easily get your posts to line up :-) Keep your fingers crossed.....I hope it works. Really, all I'm doing is including div tags around my content, and in the opening div tag, I'm adding this:

align="justify"

Here is the code - you have to remove the space after the "" in the opening and the closing div tag:

Your text goes here

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nam ligula. Aliquam sem elit, faucibus quis, ornare id, feugiat et, sem. Nulla pulvinar, libero et viverra feugiat, felis pede convallis risus, id commodo diam felis vel leo. Quisque velit. Maecenas ac nulla ut nunc fringilla cursus. Proin pharetra, nisl et cursus facilisis, tellus felis tincidunt lorem, nec fringilla pede lacus id erat. Donec a purus in arcu dapibus cursus. Nullam id urna non tortor laoreet eleifend. Suspendisse potenti. In elementum, felis at imperdiet mattis, nisi est luctus neque, a luctus ipsum lacus vitae tortor. Duis dignissim semper nulla. In at elit. Fusce volutpat, felis eu eleifend rutrum, dui orci gravida velit, sagittis tempor nibh lectus a nunc.

Phasellus interdum. Fusce eros. Sed nonummy, augue dignissim pretium sodales, turpis dui ullamcorper enim, lacinia tincidunt eros nunc at massa. Duis gravida. Etiam sed neque. Quisque nec orci nec nisl adipiscing congue. Maecenas lobortis lacus vel sem. Vestibulum nisl elit, tempus eget, bibendum eget, hendrerit nonummy, augue. Sed sed ante. In vestibulum porta sem. Pellentesque tempus lacus at libero.

Maecenas vehicula odio eget ligula. Sed arcu. Curabitur pede metus, ullamcorper non, luctus a, aliquet id, velit. Donec in ante. Sed vel erat. Cras tempus porta sem. Praesent eleifend. Quisque commodo nunc in pede. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Fusce euismod placerat leo. Pellentesque varius nisi non libero. Nulla posuere est a leo. Sed egestas turpis eu quam.

• Janice
    17 years ago

Hi Angie! Thank you for trying to help me in my "compulsion"!
    What it is that I do, is not only "justify" but I make the sentences
    shorter so they don't stretch across the screen, hopefully!

BTW--are you multi-lingual??

janice

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Ha ha :-) That text is called "lorem ipsum text". It's dummy text. Here's a cool site that you might enjoy. Lorem Ipsum Generator If you look in the section with the heading Where Can I Get Some?, you will see an area where you can select from paragraphs, words, bytes or lists, and a box to indicate the quantity.

• Janice
    17 years ago

Ah ha--I was right--afraid to venture the guess in case I was totally wrong (pride?)
    but it is a Latin text! I guess it really wasn't such a "leap" to have decided it was Latin!!

janice

Another BTW--is it just me, or have you been kinda "quiet" for awhile, Angie??
    Glad to see you posting here!! :o)

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Janice,

You are right. I've been "away" :-) First, my sister had a baby in Atlanta and I was out of town for about 9 days. Then, I wasn't back home for a week before my stepmother passed away (also in Atlanta). She had a very long battle with breast cancer. So I was back to Atlanta for the last part of the week 2 weeks ago. Last Sunday I flew out to Boston to attend a conference for work, and didn't return until Friday evening. I feel like I've been away from home for so long! I guess I have. Anyway, I'm happy to be back online and getting back into my routine! Thanks for asking :-)
    ~Angie

• goldedger
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear about your stepmother's passing Angie. Hard to be away from the comfort of home when you're dealing with a loss.

Nice to have a new niece/nephew though - Congrats Auntie!

Marsha I loved your "computer cats" graphic and "snatched" it right away without even asking ..... and then LMAO when I got to Janice's follow up.....she's much more polite ..she requested permission (as I should have).

Thanks!!

June

• Janice
    17 years ago

Oh, Angie, I'm do sorry about your step-mother, as well! I know that was and is very hard. We just can't replace the important people in our lives that we love, and that is as it should be--they are too special! :o(

I'm so glad you had a "happy" occasion in there though! The circle of life is so encouraging in those ways, aren't they!

Really glad you're back "home" for awhile, though!

Marsha--I LOVE that graphic--the one of "me" at the computer with coffee! That could be me, you know since I'm so "compulsive" about checking the forum!!LOL I presumed on your permission for the other one, and I've "snatched" this
    one, too! Thank you for sharing the "fun"!!! :o)

See, June, I don't ALWAYS ask, admittedly--with sheepish look!!! But I try to "ask", when I think of it! :o/

janice