Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

a favor

chocolateis2b8
17 years ago

I ended up with a flower in one of my many unplanted containers that I would have thought a weed when it first came up, but sure turned out pretty when it bloomed.

I posted in the annual forum looking for an id, but so far, no strikes.

Would a few of you mind going to the annual forum and checking out my post and seeing if you know what it is?

Comments (8)

• playinmud
    17 years ago

On my way over there now! ;o)

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Choco I don't know that one...the flower buds kind of remind me of a Rose of Sharon, but who knows. Is this something you had in the past, or something a bird planted?

Whatever it is, its interesting. Could be a wildflower of some type. I was looking through pics of Ohio wildflowers, but found nothing similar.

Sorry!

• Janice
    17 years ago

Kind of reminds me of a "Balloon Flower"! But it's not! Sure is cute, though!

janice

• chocolateis2b8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By george, I think I found it. Nicandra Physalodes, should have known to look in my vast collection of books, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: nicandra

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Okay Choco, Very cool, but how did you end up with a Peruvian plant in your unplanted pot under the eaves? And I see that it is fairly toxic. Something you had last season and it reseeded, or something that is migrating across the border?

• chocolateis2b8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna, I have absolutly no idea where it came from. I think most of you know that I was unable to garden this season because of a injury that I was unable to take care of properly, something that still bothers me to this day.

Anyhow, my gardens did take care of me, I found many of my unplanted containers, I was a big container gardener, reseeded themselves and gave me a beautiful show. Also had large patches of unplanted gardens plots do the same. Won't go into what came up for me to repay me for the years I spent loving my gardens, we'll just say, it was a miricle.

But I know I never planted this, which is why I had so much trouble finding out what it was.

I know I have a thing for plants, all kinds of plants and in years that I am actually able to garden, I put in a good hundred or more different annuals alone. But I also am very personal with my plants, regardless of how unusual or new they may be, I do remember them and I know I never planted this one. Even if I did, I sure would have never planted it there, that is my red container, it's outside one window and red always fit well in that area, I have planted it red for as long as I can remember.

Sigh, with this gardening season being what it was for me, I'm not going to ask how or why, just going to take what my gardens give me. This will remain a mystery as to how it got here, but I won't question it, just enjoy it now that I know what it is.

As far as it being toxic, I don't worry about that now that all the kids that call my gardens their second home are now old enough to know not to eat anything I do not give the ok to. At one time I did refuse to grow plants I knew to be toxic because I did have too many neighbor kids over, I was always the crazy neighbor lady who had all the fun stuff, always had a ton of kids over, but dang it, flippen kids go and grow up on you, how dare them!!!!!!!

• playinmud
    17 years ago

LOL! I know the feeling about kids growing up! Its a sad part of life, but I figure I've given them wonderful childhood memories. And hopefully they'll come visit me in "the home" when I can't get around any longer.

So glad your garden loved you enough this year that it replanted itself for your pleasure. Its the things in life like that, that keep us going.

• goldedger
    17 years ago

Glad you solved your mystery.

Those birds that fertilize with their droppings also plant seeds.........Voila surprise garden plants. Mostly I just get weeds but someone/thing (I'm assuming it was a squirrel) planted a huge yellow dahlia in my front garden a couple years ago.....it even came back the next year! A very hardy volunteer!

June

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource