Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Best spot for 'On Stage'?

Janice
17 years ago

I purchased a "noid" at Cory's and believe it to be "On Stage"! It is such a nice clump, already,

and I want to position it in the best sun-exposure as possible, whether that would be more or

less of it!

Anyone have one performing well where it is placed in your gardens?

janice

Comments (25)

• playinmud
    17 years ago

No, but I'd love to see a pic of it if you have one Janice.

Donna ;o)

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's difficult to make out the margins, since it is "greening up" but they are there, very narrow!

{{gwi:895104}}

• highjack
    17 years ago

Just curious, why wouldn't you post this on the discussion side?

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, it never entered my mind to! It seems like this is the place I'm prone to be these days!
    Does it seem OT for "this" side? :o)

janice

• highjack
    17 years ago

Actually hey_j, it does since this would be an interesting topic for discussion on the hosta side. I would think the proper place to plant an On Stage could/would encourage new hosta growers to seek out this marvelous hosta. I thought conversations was to be the fun side for non-hosta related conversations.

It almost appears to me that a few regular posters have decided to buoycott the discussion side and only use this side. To someone seeking information and hopefully addiction to hosta, they will use the discussion side first, meet the regular posters and then feel free to jump into the fun side. I certainly wouldn't want a newbie to feel this side is a clique and not feel welcome.

OK, I'm done, helmut in place.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Nope, not really OT...anything goes here.

Great hosta by the way, can't wait to see it grow for you. It'll do well where ever you plant it I'm sure.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I don't think there is a boycott. I do think that a large number of people at the hosta forum that are looking for more than the clinical aspect. I check the main page a couple of times a day and have been welcoming new posters - and telling them about the "hostas and more" page. I hope people feel welcome to join and post on either side.

Teresa

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Highjack, I know "I've" made every attempt to welcome anyone coming to "visit" here!
    Check out my threads and posts and I think you will see it is anything but a "clique" mentality
    I'm promoting! I want everyone to come for a visit and I have posted on the "other side" as well.

Check out the "unfair banning of Danny", for one! I know there are a couple of others as well,
    that I can't think of right now! Oh, I did post on the thread announcing this "side" a couple
    of times I think! The last being a post to encourage those who are new, especially who may not
    realize this forum is available to them now, as well as the rest of us "old-timers" to come and
    visit whenever they feel like abit more!

I think many like the "freedom" to not have to worry about whether they might veer off the "topic" of
    hosta-only threads! It's just easier for me, one who tends to "chase rabbits" on occasion, to be here
    and do what comes naturally!

I hope you don't feel "left out" or discouraged in coming here!

Janice

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Well Janice,since it is posted on this "side", I will tell you about mine. Contrary to what On Stage is supposed to do,mine does the opposite! It's supposed to come up late in Spring,but mine is always early,just like it's relative,montana-Aureomarginata. Consequently,it always gets zapped every Spring by late freezes. I almost lost it this year,as well as my montana. I moved it twice already,because it's supposed to like more sun than most,but the first year it came up,it got burned by too much sun. The second time it came up was this year,it got zapped,and got really small. I have moved it into my new garden area,which is a compromise between the first 2 places it was planted. Next year,when it comes up.I'm going to cover it to prevent frost damage. What I'm trying to say is, I don't yet know where it grows best! I'm so confused! Phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL Phil--I love it! I'm glad I'm not the only one "confused" these days!!LOL

But, you have definitely given me information I can use and needed to know! My MA is also an early riser and
    early to get zapped! That will definitely be a factor in deciding where to put it or whether to put it in a large
    pot that I can move around as the season progresses!

Now, as to the sun-exposure and "coloring", which is best, more or less sun?

Janice

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, another thing, Highjack--if you knew me well, you'd really know that I am far from a "clique-type" person. I hate it when others are made to feel "unwelcome" or "inferior" or anything like that! I usually am the one rooting for the underdog, etc. so, believe me, I hope everyone who wants to be comfortable here does indeed feel welcomed!

My tendency, as you may know, is to want to post graphics from time to time and I don't always know at the beginning of a thread if I do want to. Over here, with some folks, in particular, I don't feel I will offend them if I get "in the mood" to do so. I guess, I'm here more, because I am more "safe" here!

I, no doubt, will find occasions to post on the Discussions forum, but I also want to make sure Garden Web does not feel they can take this from us, with a lack of interest by infrequent visitors and posters so I guess, for the beginning stages of it, I will be here more often, doing my posting--not to say I won't back over there as well at some points when something piques my interest!

I hope you understand me and my intentions alittle better and hopefully you won't see me as "cliqueish" at all! Brrrrr--even the thought of it makes me shiver! Hate em, those groups that purposefully leave others out!!!!

BTW--you, highjack, will appreciate this--I'm on my way out the door to a K-mart in a nearby town that is clearancing their whiskey barrels at $5.00 each! I've got to tell "Buff24" about it too! CYA!

janice, who strives for "peace" on all fronts!

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay "hate" is too strong a word for how I feel about "those groups" who make folks
    feel like second-class citizens, but I do dislike them a whole bunch!

I'm outta here--got to get those barrels--Poppi, Buff and Dave--you better run!!

janice

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Oh Janice, you're one of the most kind hearted people there are, you would never make anyone feel unwelcome!!

I for one am not boycotting the discussion forum, I'm just more interested in the lighter side of life, where no one will get annoyed at me going off on a tangent. And honestly I will probably not go back over there. Although I've learned a lot, I honestly don't feel welcome over there.

PIM

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Well,"they" claim On Stage needs more sun to get the best color. That's what I've always read. We will see next year when it comes up in it's new garden. Phil

• highjack
    17 years ago

No janice I don't feel left out or discouraged or anything else. I was just pointing out my observations since the beginning of the conversation forum. I was astounded at the reaction to some of the members when the GW gave the hosta folk this forum in which to have fun outside of the regular talk about hosta. I for one, think both sections are great and hope both sections continue to give great information and provide entertainment, particularly with the dreaded ole man winter approaching. No one says you can't "chase rabbits" on the discussion side but the just for fun posts, now have a home of their own.

I for one miss Ken's posts here - how will you know if Ken has killed five On Stage hosta or this is one of his favorites that grows on the driveway. I just don't want to leave anyone out and when a discussion of pure hosta information is needed or wanted. As I said, newbies (and veterans) would find this info interesting.

{{gwi:895106}} This pic is from two years ago but it grows in morning sun until about noon, then shade. It never peaks out of the ground until May 10 - my frost date where my Aureomarginata appeared February 28 last year. Mountain Snow also shows up with On Stage.

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I see by your pic of On Stage,highjack,that my hosta is not mis-named.It looks like mine,except mine has a bad habit of coming up early. As Ken says,go figure! Phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awww, gee willakers (sp?) thank you, Donna! :o)

Highjack--this would have been a good thread for the "other" side! Wonder if I can get away with posting it there as well?

I agree with what you've said in your last thread, highjack! And, I also, miss ken on this one, too!

janice

BTW--I got 8--count 'em--8 barrels at $2.00 each, ones that were originally $18.99 earlier in the season!! Whoo hoo!

• hostarox
    17 years ago

I don't think it's 'On Stage' while the center does green up, the margins should still be very dark green. Or maybe it is just the pic! You will know next year.

• hostarox
    17 years ago

Janice, hand me over a big plate of crow to eat!!! LOL. After I posted that I thought it wasn't 'On Stage' I went out and looked at mine, with a flashlight. Then I looked at Shunko Nishiki, which Mark Zilis brought back from Japan long ago. (They are similar Montanas) BOTH looked like your pic!
    Seems like just yesterday they both were so colorful......!!

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh no, uh uh, "rox", you don't get any of MY crow to eat! I need plenty of it for myself, oftentimes!LOL

Actually I don't know FOR SURE it is "On Stage" but it did look more like it when I first got it, unnamed!
    I hope it is because the first one I ordered came damaged and didn't survive for me! I hope, I hope it is!!

janice

• hostarox
    17 years ago

Either way, strong morning sun is recomended, and Montana Hostas are actually very sun tolerant, so put in a spot that gets more sun yet! It might burn next year, but Hostas "acclimate" to their surroundings eventually.
    late afternoon sun is the worst.
    I have never moved a hosta because it got burned the first year or two.
    They grow faster, and look bettter later on.

• summermusicz4ia
    17 years ago

My On Stage is in nearly full sun and is a large mature plant. It's one of the last hosta to come up every year. Love the change in coloration throughout the summer.
    Marlene

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So, maybe I need to plant it slightly deeper, if Phil experience is an issue but in the morning sun!

Thank you, Highjack, Phil, Roxanne(?)and Marlene for the information I need to get the best out of my "On Stage", hopefully !

Good to see you posting here, Marlene! Hope we hear more from you in days to come! :o)

janice

• hostared
    17 years ago

Good Golly never new this side existed. Thanks to Teresa I clicked and here I am.

Janice, as for On Stage, remember it is a very late emerger. It was one of my last to come up.
    I like it in almost all morning sun till noon. Id doesn't like the afternoon sun in my region but does well with 6 hours of full morning. Nice find.

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Hostared! So glad you are visiting this side! Hope you enjoy your stay with the "lighter gang"!
    Not that we can't be very serious, mind you. It's good for us to bounce back and forth ("discussion" to
    "OT conversation" and back etc.)--it helps to keep us "balanced"! LOL

janice