Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Holiday Cookies and Bars - recipes please!

caliloo
17 years ago

Can we gat a thread going for just Holiday Cookies, Bars and desserts? I would love to know some of your family favorites... they always seen to be the best.

It isn't too early to start baking the ones that freeze well, and I would love to plan for some new ones on the cookie tray this year!

Here are a couple that I *always* make

Chocolate Raspberry Sticks

2 squares unsweetened chocolate

cup butter softened

½ cup sugar

1 egg

2 cups cake flour

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp salt

1 cup seedless raspberry jam

6 oz white chocolate (@1 cup white chocolate chips)

Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light. Add egg and melted chocolate and beat until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix well. Add cake flour, and salt until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Divide each part into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope 12 inches long on a lightly floured board. The rope should be about the thickness of a finger. Place each rope about 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets. With the side if your finger (I use a chopstick) press a channel along the length of each rope. Bake 8 minutes until firm.

Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. Stir until very smooth. Stir the preserves until smooth. Place preserves in a pastry bag (or heavy plastic sandwich bag, snip off the corner) and run a bead of preserves down the channel of each chocolate rope. Return to the oven for 2 minutes.

When you remove them from the oven, place them on a wire rack to cool. Put the melted white chocolate in a pastry bag (or heavy sandwich bag). Drizzle the ropes with the melted white chocolate. Cut strips into 1 inch lengths. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.

Snickerdoodle Cookies

1 1/2 cups Sugar

1 cup Shortening -- soft

2 each Eggs

2 3/4 cups Flour

2 teaspoons Cream of tartar

1 teaspoon Baking soda

1/2 teaspoon Salt

2 tablespoons Sugar

2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375F.

Mix 1 1/2 c. sugar, shortening and eggs. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, and soda. Chill dough. Roll dough into balls the size of walnuts. Com- bine 2 t. sugar and cinnamon. Roll cookies in this mixture.

Bake for 8-10 mins., cool completely on wire racks.

Eggnog Cookies

A wonderful addition to your holiday cookie tray. Rich with egg and nutmeg.

Ingredients:

1 cup butter or margarine, softened

2 cups white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 eggs

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:

1 In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually stir into creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate until firm.

2 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

3 Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto an unprepared cookie sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should be lightly browned.

Makes 2 to 3 dozen

Comments (27)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hey .. i am trying to find a recipe my mom made in the 70's ....

i swear it was special K and brown sugar based ... they were the chewiest and numbiest cookies i can recall .. though when they went stale ... which wasn't often .. they were hard as rocks... i have tried every special k website i can find and find nothing like it...

it was some cereal .. maybe i am confused about the special k part????

any ideas???

ken

PS: can you believe that numbiest wasnt in the spell check .. lol ...

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Ken, don't know if this is what you want.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Ken -

Is this what you are looking for?

Chewy Cereal Bars
    INGREDIENTS:
    1-1/2 cups corn syrup
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1-1/2 cups peanut butter
    6 cups crisp cereal (Special K is the best)
    PREPARATION:
    In large microwave safe bowl, combine corn syrup, brown sugar and sugar and mix well. Microwave on HIGH for 4-7 minutes until bubbling, stirring twice during cooking cycle. Remove from microwave and add peanut butter.
    Stir until peanut butter melts and mixture is smooth. Add cereal and stir gently but thoroughly until cereal is coated. Spread mixture into greased 13x9" pan. Using back of spoon, press mixture evenly into pan. Let cool and cut into bars.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I'm sure Special K bars are the one you remember Ken. When they get stale they are like rocks.

17 years ago

thanks girlies ... lol ...

ours never had PB ... and i don't remember mom cooking anything with Karo ...

but i see why i remember them .. cereal and 2 cups of various sugars .. no wonder i was hyper... lol ...

do you think the cookies would turn out without the PB? i suppose they might be lacking come moisture.. and stick together goo ... oh such the cooking terms ... lol ...

i did go to the site chocolatey linked.. there is one recipe without PB ... now i just have to get over the will to die.. and try a recipe ... god i hate SADisorder ....

ken

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

thanks girlies???????

Okay sport! Just make sure you have a plate of fresh baked bars the next time I swing by! LMAO!

Teresa

17 years ago

well .. i was going to say .. THANKS GUYS .. but hey .. trading recipes at the hosta forum ... geez ...

what a bunch of girlies ... lol ...

and all the power to ya ... friends are hard to find and keep .. may as well start here ....

but i sure dont see the guys trading steak recipes .. or home brew recipes ... ROTFLMBO .....

ken

• caliloo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GIRLIES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

OMG!!!!!

I think "Kitchen Goddesses" might be more fitting!

or "GArden Goddesses that know how to bake"

or even "Google Goddesses" would work.....

BUT GIRLIES?!?!?!?!?!?!

It's a good thing that I'm in a good mood.....

LOL!

Hope you do make them Ken and that they are as good as you remember.....

Alexa

17 years ago

you should know better than that. ..

they will never be as good as the memory ...

its like getting the best meal you ever had at a restaurant ... NEVER GO BACK THERE ... it will never be as good ...

ken

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Ken, if you don't want the peanutbutter, substitute margarine. That should work fine instead.

BTW, I like girlie. Thanks.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I don't think 1 1/2 cups of margerine in exchange for 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter would work..... but I could be wrong!

• caliloo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, I agree with Teresa.

You definitely cannot sub margarine for peanut butter!

Go out on that limb Ken, give the peanut butter a try.

And looking at the recipes that Choc posted, do NOT boil the syrup and sugar if you want them chewy, heated yes, but not boiled. You would end up with Special K brittle.

Alexa

17 years ago

can you think of any other cereal cookie with brown sugar ... wonder if it was wheaties.. though i never recall those in the house ... hmmm .. ken

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Ken - is this the recipe?

Chewy Cereal Cookies
    Makes 72
    1/2 c margarine or butter
    1/2 c sugar
    1/2 c packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 1/3 c flaked coconut
    1 c rice and wheat flakes of four-grain cereal flakes
    1 c raisins or semi-sweet chocolate chips
    Directions
    In a large mixing bowl beat margarine with electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until margarine is softened. Add sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat mixture well.

In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture; beat until well mixed.

Stir in coconut, cereal and raisins or chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden. Cool cookies about 1 minute before removing to a wire rack; cool. Store in a tightly covered container.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

OOps, sorry I didn't see that it was 1 1/2 cups of peanutbutter, thought it was 1 cup. Although I'd try 1 cup of margarine.

My mom used to make a date nut ball with rice krispies. they were great. you'd cook the pitted dates and whatever else it was for the binding substance, then fold in the RKs and when finished roll walnut sized balls in powdered sugar. They were great, only cereal cookie I can remember my mom making back in the 70's. And they'd break a tooth if they got old too.

Teresa, those cookies sound yummy!

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I don't know what those cookies taste like. I don't even like sweets!

I just went to one of those recipe search engines. You put in a couple of ingredients and it spews out all kinds of recipes. There were alot with the brown sugar and cereal flakes. The add ons varied from recipe to recipe. My theory is that there is a Lutheran Church lady recipe book out there somewhere with the base recipe - and from there everyone added what they had in their cupboards.

Here is another - maybe this is it Ken! It doesn't say they are nummy - but it's name implys that they are pretty darn good!

WORLD'S BEST COOKIES

1 c. butter
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. packed brown sugar
    1 c. oil
    1 egg
    1 1/2 c. rolled oats
    1 c. crushed Grape Nut Flakes
    1 c. coconut
    3/4 c. chopped nuts
    3 1/2 c. sifted flour
    1 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. coconut extract
    1/2 tsp. salt

Makes 8 dozen. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, mix well. Add oil, mix well. Add oats, Grape Nut Flakes, coconut, and nuts, stirring well. Add flour, soda, salt, and flavoring. Mix well and form into balls. The size of small walnuts and place on cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork dipped in water. Put pecans half on top of cookie. Bake 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing.

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Sorry Alexa, going to arugue with you about the boiling part. Having worked in the candy buisness for 7 years, I know it's not a matter of boiling, but a matter of what temperature it is allowed to get to. To make fudge that was firm enough to hold it's shape, but still remain soft and creamy, it was cooked to 238 degrees, to make lollipops, it was 300 degrees. Believe me, if there's one thing I know, it's corn syrup, got the flippen stuff in 60 pound pails, would go through as many as 10 pails a week on fudge alone, I've grown to hate the stuff,, was the biggest pain of all the ingredients I used, you haven't lived until you've ended up coated in the stuff, lol.

Hope you find your recipe Ken, give some of the ones that were posted a try, you just might get lucky.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

As I said earlier, I'm not much of a dessert person, but here is a recipe I used to make as a kid. It was on the side of a can of Hershey's Cocoa and tastes like coconut fudge.

Boiled Cocoa Cookies

1/2 cup margarine
    1/2 cup milk
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup shredded coconut

METHOD
    Put margarine, milk, sugar and cocoa into saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in rolled oats and coconut. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper and chill in refrigerator.

• micke
    17 years ago

Pecan Pie Bars

4 eggs
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    1 1/2 c. corn syrup
    2 1/2 c. pecan halves

Cookie Crust

1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 1/2 c. flour
    2 sticks butter or margarine softtened

preheat oven to 350'
    prepare and bake cookie crust.
    Cookie Crust: spray 10x15x1-in. baking dish with cooking spray. beat at medium speed the sugar, flour, salt and butter til mix is fine crumbs, press into pan. bake 20 to 30 minutes or til brown.
    beat eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla til blended. stir in pecans. pour over hot crust. bake 25 minutes or til filling is firm around the edges. cool and cut into squares.

Santa's Whiskers 1 c. butter 2 1/2 c. flour 1/2 c. finely chopped pecans 3/4 c. flaked coconut 1 c. sugar 2 Tbsp. milk 1 tsp. rum extract 3/4 c. finely chopped red and green candied cherries In bowl, cream togather butter and sugar. blend in milk and rum extract. stir in flour, candied cherries and pecans. form into 2 rolls each 2x8 in. long. roll into coconut. wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight. slice 1/4 in. thick. place on ungreased cookie sheet, bake at 375' for 12 minutes or until edges are golden.

Pumpkin Cookies

1 c. shortening
    1 1/2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. white sugar
    1/2 c. nuts
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 c. pumpkin
    1 tsp. lemon flavoring
    2 1/2 c. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ginger
    3/4 tsp. soda
    2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 c. milk chocolate chips

cream shortening, brown and white sugars. add eggs, vanilla, lemon flavoring and pumpkin. combine dry ingrediants and mix togather with shortening mixture. bake for 12 minutes at 375'

• FlowersForMyFarm
    17 years ago

Ken, here's a recipe from an old church cookbook that I took from my grandmother's house. Could this be it? It's a little lacking in directions, i.e. how long to bake but you should be able to figure it out!! I always stop when I see flames coming out of the oven. LOL

Wheaties Cookies
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup shortening
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    2 cups coconut
    2 eggs
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 cups Wheaties or corn flakes, crushed

Bake at 375 degrees

• diggindutchman
    17 years ago

Alexa, Have you ever had a Potatoe Chip Cookie?
    Let me know. and I'll add the recipe, plus my Heat Sensor recipe will be available also for those that love chocolate!
    John

• diggindutchman
    17 years ago

POTATOE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
    INGREDIENTS
    2 STICKS OF BUTTER SOFTENED
    1/2 CUP SUGAR
    1 3/4 CUPS FLOUR
    1/2 Tsp VANILLA
    3/4 CUPS CRUSHED POTATOE CHIPS (I LIKE LAYS)ANY WILL DO
    DIRECTIONS
    MIX FIRST 4 INGREDIENTS TO CREAMY TEXTURE
    ADD CRUSHED POTATOE CHIPS MIX TOGTHER
    DROP TEASPOON SIZE ON A LIGHTLY GREASED COOKIE TRAY/ IF YOU LIKE A UNIFORM COOKIE USE THE SMALL SIZE COOKIE SCOOPER
    BAKE FOR 15 MINUITES AT 350 DEGREE OVEN.
    THEY TASTE LIKE A SHORTBREAD COOKIE LIGHT AND YUMMY
    ENJOY
    JOHN

• caliloo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The potato chip cookies sound great! I will definitely give them a try!

And your "Heat sensors" are delish - are you sure you do't mind sharing the recipe?

Alexa

• Janice
    17 years ago

That's right, Diggin, we NEED all the yummies we can get--so "hit us" with all your best, please?

janice

• diggindutchman
    17 years ago

John's Heat Sensor Cookie for those that get their hostas shipped in the summer!!!
    I doubled the recipe.
    INGREDIENTS
    2 cups shortening,or butter
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    4 large eggs
    4 tsp vanilla
    4 1/4 cups flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp salt
    3-4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
    Fillings can be Creamy Peanut Butter, Carmel, Marshmellow or Raspberry Jam
    Dark Chocolate candy waffers by "Make a Mold" brand or Wiltons

DIRECTIONS

Set oven to 350
    combine shortening and sugars and mix to creamy texture
    add eggs one at a time and mix again to fluffy consistancy
    add vanilla
    combine flour, baking soda, salt and add and mix well
    add chips and mix well
    drop by cookie scoop or tablespoon on ungreased cookie sheet
    bake for 10-11 minutes.

remove and chill in freezer for 5 minutes

spread peanut butter over bottoms of cookies, other choices may be raspberry jam, marshmellow fluff, carmel (the apple dipping kind) Place on cookie sheet with bottom of cookie with filling facing up waiting for the next step of covering with melted chocolate

I melt dark chocolate wafers in the microwave on high for a minute and stir every 30 seconds to prevent over cooking.
    When chocolate is melted I spoon it over the cookie which I hold in my hand being sure to cover all the filling ingredients so to prevent it oozing out. Then place the chocolate covered cookie on a waxed paper cookie sheet and place in the freezer for another 5 minutes. Once chocolate sets up you're finished with the Heat Sensor. Be sure to lick all the chocolate from your fingers, cause sometimes the semi sweet chips may still be a little soft and gooie. If you really want to make a mess then make a Fluffer Nutter by spreading marshmellow fluff on top of the peanut butter and then covering all that with the melted dark chocolate!!
    Enjoy

• micke
    17 years ago

Nutty Caramel Clusters

25 caramels
    1 TBsp butter (no substitutes)
    1 TBsp milk
    1 c sliced almonds
    1/2 c salted dry roasted peanuts
    1/2 c pecan halves
    1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
    2 tsp shortening

in a 1qt microwave-safe dish, combine the caramels, butter and milk. Microwave, uncovered on high for 2 minutes, stirring once. stir in peanuts and pecans. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
    in microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening, stir until blended. Drizzle over clusters. chill until firm. store in refrigerator. 1 1/2 dozen.

I made this last night and they are very good, the only problem I found was getting them up off the waxed paper after they chill, I am thinking next time I make it I am going to lay a layer of the chocolate down then putting the caramel on top of that, then drizzling chocolate, almost like a turtle.

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

Haven't tried these out....maybe one of you would like to give them a try.....

GOOF BALLS
    1 cup butter or margarine
    One 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1 near pound package large marshmallows, MUST be fresh.
    15 oz. package carmels
    Five cups of Rice Krispie cereal
    Place unwrapped carmels, milk, and butter in large microsafe bowl, melt together until carmels
    are liquid. Stir once in process, only takes a little bit. Place a toothpick in each marshmallow,
    dip them in the carmel
    mixture, roll in Rice Krispies and place on waxed paper lined sheet to cool.

The heat from the carmel mixture makes the marshmallow swell up sort of like toasted ones.
    Some folks freeze
    the marshmallows before dipping, but the recipe did not ask for that. Makes about 60.

Don't know if this is a joke or not...but looks like one all us dieter's would like...

Diet Cake
    1 box dry cake mix, any flavor
    1 can diet soda, any flavor to go with cake.
    Mix the two ingredients together, and bake in a greased, 9 X 13 inch pan as directed on the cake
    mix box.

Top with fat free Cool Whip.
    OR orange cake with orange diet soda, chocolate cake with diet cola, Yellow cake with vanilla
    cream soda. Use your imagination.

(I) worked it out to 3 points when cake is cut into 12 equal pieces.

jill