Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

For those who don't have a chance to make a fall color trip!

jel48
15 years ago

The colors in the Keweenaw penninsula have almost reached their peak. I think another week will do it. Even now, it's glorious and I took lots of pictures. I've heard that usually colors peak on Wednesday ('cause everyone is at work then) and on Thursday a big wind or rain comes up and blows the leaves down, so I'm leaving nothing to chance!

Rather then slow the forum thread access down by including all of the pics in the posting, I'm just giving you a link to my imageevent album. Go to the link below and take the option to play the slideshow. The first photos were taken on top of Brockway mountain, then on the trip down the mountain. The last couple were on the way home.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Colors on the Keweenaw

Comments (13)

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Wow. Those are beautiful! I can't believe I'm the only one who's seen them so far. I'm going to put a little note over on the Discussion side. You are really in a beautiful place, both your hometown and the property you just bought. I really like the slide show format. It's funny because I was just experimenting with a slide show on Photobucket. It worked out pretty well but there is no control over the delay. I felt the Photobucket of 3 sec. a bit too fast. Anyway, GOOD JOB... McT

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    15 years ago

McT. gives good advice. This was well worth the trip. Your pictures are beautiful and the scenery is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

• papou
    15 years ago

Great shots Joyce! I really enjoyed the slide show. Stunning photos!

Papou

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

McT, evermore, and Papou, I'm glad you enjoyed the tour! It is so beautiful here that it really does just take my breath away sometimes! We're supposed to do one more this weekend... in an area called Lac LaBelle. We had wind here yesterday, but Lac LaBelle is on the south side of the peninsula and they say the wind doesn't hit over there so bad. They have a fall color activity going on, ski lifts running to take people up to see the colors from above, and are also dumping (entrails, garbage, etc) to pull in the bald and golden eagles for photography. I'm hoping it works out well and I have this one more good colorful weekend to remember before snow hits :-)

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Those pics are very nice,Jel,and I did look at them. People forget,however that I do not have to go and look at fall colors. I live in one of the most beautiful places in the U.S.,for fall colors,and ours are just coming into full beauty! I wish everyone could see this place in the Great Smokey mountains,and our fall color! Hope you are not offended by my saying this. Phil

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, Phil! Why would I be offended at that? I'd love to visit the Great Smokey mountains, fall or any other time! Lucky for both of us, that we live in such beautiful places :-)

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Hey Phil, Like that old commercial "where's the beef?" Where's the PICTURES?!

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

To tell you the truth,Mct,I look at them all the time,so who needs a picture? Lol! I will try to get out and take a few soon,but they are not in full color yet! Here is a pic from last year to whet your appetite. Phil
    {{gwi:895158}}

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Here's another from a couple years back. This is right by my neighbors house. I like the intense red of this tree! Phil
    {{gwi:895161}}

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Those are beautiful Phil. I love the reds and oranges too. We have lots of yellows and golds around here but not as much of the red/orange. I should plan for that someday, plants something intentionally for the color. Meanwhile, the trees and bushes change without help from me! It's been beautiful here too, sunny but sometimes windy with dark skys. I took a few pictures the other day on a walk down the road with Brody.

• loisflan
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos of the Keweenaw. I was in that area back in the mid-90's when I sailed in the Transsuperior sailboat race. Before the race, on the way to Sault-Ste-Marie from Duluth, we went through the ship canal. Very cool. The colors are pretty incredible here on Lake Minnetonka, just west of Minneapolis, too. We are very fortunate to live in such beautiful country, country in which hostas love to grow, too.

• Janice
    15 years ago

Really wonderful pics. everyone!!! They just take your breath away!!!
    I hope it thrills your hearts everyday, anew, to have such beauty
    surrounding you--everywhere you turn!!!

Janice

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phil, your photos are gorgeous. I sure hope you have some more to post this year. I'd love to see them!

And Merle, no red or orange needed to dress up a landscape like yours! Those trees are like pure liquid gold. You are another who lives in one of the most beautiful places in this continent. Just lovely.

Lois, what a great experience the Transsuperior sailboat race and that whole trip must have been. I would have loved doing that! I've been through your area in the fall and it is gorgeous too.

I can't imagine living in a place that didn't have the autumn colors. Just think! There'd be nothing to look forward to just before winter!! I don't think I'd like that!