Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soccamutha_gw

Did I miss another memo?

soccamutha
17 years ago

Did someone declare this the year the oaks begin their takeover of the planet? I have lived in this house for 22 autumns and I have NEVER seen (or heard) such a monster acorn year! They are taking over the part of the yard right beneath my one (granted, huge) oak tree. I wandered over there this morning and they are starting to root. Which only proves that there are more than even my industrious squirrels and chipmunks can handle. I am going to be pulling oak seedlings out of the hostas for YEARS. And you know those taproots start heading for China the MINUTE they hit the ground.

I also caught a squirrel dining yesterday Chez Bird Bath where the acorns have been stewing in rainwater for several days, causing them to split and expose the nutmeats. A veritable gourmet repast for the lazier members of that rodent species.

Perhaps this is REALLY a squirrel-driven takeover.

Becky

Comments (4)

• hostasformez4
    17 years ago

Bumper crop was two years ago in my neighbors yard.

Now she has a fungus that will eventually kill all her trees and since other neighbors aren't going to spray it does her no good to do it.

I reley on her trees for my hosta beds shade so when she told me this in the spring I couldn't believe it. She pointed out what to look for and it was in every tree she has and she has more than a dozen trees to worry about.

The squirrels have planted small oaks in other parts of my yard and one is now 8 ft. tall so hopefully it won't contact the fungus.

Only time will tell and when all the shade is gone you will all be invited to my huge mature plant hosta sale !!!!!

Connie

• Janice
    17 years ago

My understanding of prolific seed production, is that it can be based on a couple of "situations"!

One, is that the tree is in stress of some kind, whether drought or disease. In the case of the tree fungus,
    the excess probably was an indication of the disease already taking it's toll!

The other--a predecessor of a bad winter being on it's way and the critters will need the acorns or seeds etc.
    to survive! If the profuse seeding is in early Spring, then a drought is a great possibility that year!

Excessive seed-ing, in any of these situations, is God's way (can I say that?)of preserving the tree and
    critters dependent on the "source",etc. by having seedlings to take the place of the damaged or destroyed
    "parent"--or, so "some" believe--like "me"! :o)

janice

• micke
    17 years ago

LOL!!LOL!!!LOL!!!LOL!!!
    That is the only tree (seems like)we have around here, squirrls everywhere you look, they look like they just might attack you if you dare touch those acorns...
    I let the dogs out about 10:00, in my nightie (if the neighbors are lookin they need to get a life) in bare feet.
    owl in one acorn tree, me going ouch, ouch, ouch across the acorns, have to keep a eye on the 2 lb Chiuhuahua.
    so many squirrls, why can they not keep up with the acorns on the ground? LOL!!
    micke

• anitamo
    17 years ago

I read recently that a bumper crop of acorns precedes an overabundance of tics. From what I remember in the article, it has something to do with so many acorns = so many mice. Mice are responsible for this particular tic. If this is true, I'm in trouble. I'm already losing sleep worrying about the 17 year cicada that's due to our region in 2007. I just may hibernate for 6 weeks next summer.