Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megaul

Hang on to your Hosta Handbook!

megaul
17 years ago

I was just browsin' one day on ebay, and did a 'hosta' search. Up popped Mark R. Zillis's Hosta Handbood going for $118!

Then I checked it out at Amazon!! Even more!

Ya' think I could get those muddy finger prints off mine to make it 'mint condition?' LOL!

Comments (19)

• Janice
    17 years ago

Holy cow!!! No offense to any of the "hindu-persuasion"! I'm with you, Marsha! I need to take
    better care of mine!! Are they really "selling" for those prices???

janice

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Earlier this spring I was searching for a book on Hostas (my first) and saw them on ebay for around the prices Marsha stated. I don't know IF they are selling, but they are there in the listings.
    However, I was lucky enough when I made my first Hosta buying treck this spring to Hornbakers Gardens, they had several copies right there on their shelf $34.99.
    As with anything, I suppose once this book gets outdated and a new 'updated' one is published, it will be worth little.
    If you're thinking of selling, NOW is the time. LOL

Janet

• diannp
    17 years ago

I got mine off Ebay for about 45.00 this spring. Naylors had 10 of them and did a dutch auction. If you watch you can still pick them up reasonably. It's a good book to have.

Diana Grenfell's The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas is another good book to have. :)

Diann

• playinmud
    17 years ago

I picked up mine on ebay last fall and only paid $14.95. I watched them and finally won one at a low bid. I'm looking forward to the new one (maybe in my lifetime?).

Diann, thanks for the tip on Diana Grenfell's book, I'll have to look into that one.

Donna

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I just keep borrowing mine from the public library. In the back of my mind I just keep wondering how much they would charge me if I just "lost" it. That would be very bad, especially since I am a librarian!! I wonder when the new one is really coming out??

• Janice
    17 years ago

Margo, oh, the temptation! LOL We all have it, one way or another, but the good thing is,
    you've not "lost it"--yet!! So far, you are winning the struggle! LOL

There is one on ebay, that has started out with bidding at .99 cents, I believe. You might keep
    an eye on that one!!!

janice

• jel48
    17 years ago

Sure am glad I bought mine earlier - right before it went out of print, I think. Guess I should have bought a few dozen as an investment ;-)

• ademink
    17 years ago

Jen, you are a naughty girl with a great idea!

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

In my head I keep slapping my own hand with the ruler just for thinking it! I have to admit I got the idea from the kids at my school who are always "losing" their favorite books until I tell them how much it is then it suddenly reappears.

• papou
    17 years ago

Marsha,
    Is this the NEW book by Mark Zilis which is due to come out this Autumn?...or is it the old 2000 Edition of the Hosta Handbook...

Papou

• megaul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Papou, it's the 2000 out of print edition, giving credence to the old adage, "People always want what they can't have".

If you search Amazon under Books, Hosta Handbook, there are 5 listed under 'used and new' one as high as over $300. Now, are they selling at those higher prices? I don't know, but I did see one go on ebay for over $100. There is one on there right now with the bid up to $49.25 with 2 day and 11 hours to go. I put it on my 'watch list' just out of curiosity. I'll post back what it ends up going for.

I bought mine off Amazon in Sept. 2004 for $23.77. Wish my REAL investments did so well! :-)

• schenley
    17 years ago

I just had to go check that Megaul. Yup...$300! I don't understand that because Q&Z Nursery is still listing the book at $34.95.

• ademink
    17 years ago

But then nobody calls you back from Q&Z if you leave a message to try to buy one from them. :(

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

If you email Q&Z they simply say they are out of them and a new one is being published soon. Wonder if he's selling his left over stock on Amazon for $300???

• greenguy
    17 years ago

mine is in perfect condition and signed by the author ;~)

but it will not be for sale any time soon

• hostarox
    17 years ago

Mine's in not so perfect condition, signed by Mark as well.
    Funny thing, A co-worker of mine saw me looking at mine a few years back, and since she has Hostas, she went and bought it. It's been locked in a cabinet at work ever since. She never did take it home. I should ask her if she wants to sell it to me, since she never looks at it LOL!

• megaul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just checked the one I'm watching on ebay, it's up to $68.53 with 4 hours to go. I'll have to check the final in the morning as I'm off to work soon.

greenguy, yep, I would hold on to that! Not only monetary value but sentimental value as well.

As the auctioneers would say: GREAT ITEM! :-)

• megaul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, FYI, the latest Hosta Handbook went for $70 on ebay.

• ademink
    17 years ago

I still really want one!