Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megaul

My Dream Job

megaul
17 years ago

Getting to read the hosta forum and deciding what's OT. Then having the power to move the OT posts to the conversation side and somebody PAYS me to do that!

YEAH!! In my next life, that's what I want to grow up to do!

(I'm jealous! Can you tell?) :-)

Comments (24)

• Janice
    17 years ago

Oh, boy--you're right, Marsha! I'd love to do that, too!
    I wonder if we could do that "at home"! LOL
    Now, that would be worthwhile, wouldn't it!!!

Holding up placard, "Will work at GW for hosta"!

janice

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

perhaps all the fun people can move over to the conversations site ....

• playinmud
    17 years ago

My dream job would be creating "stuff" for Midwest of Cannon Falls. Sigh, don't get me started.

That's what I'm thinking too Teresa. But can we even mention "hosta" here, or will they port that back over?? I'll probably spend most of my time here.

Can you tell I don't like change?

Donna

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

speaking of cannon falls... it is about an hour south of me. Last Christmans my sister who lives in Delaware - went to the outlet stores in Rehoboth and got me an ornament from Cannon Falls. I picked her up from the airport and while we were waiting for luggage she gave it to me. Imagine my surprise when I saw that she bought a present for me in Delaware - a present from a company just south of here. :-)

• Janice
    17 years ago

Okay, what would be my "dream job"! I'd love to decorate homes and offices and on the side advise businesses how to make their "customers" feel special and valued.

And, I'd love to do Biblical research for pastors, teachers, writers, etc., doing the word study and research, tracking down verses for them to use to substantiate the points they want to back up with Scripture! I LOVE word studies and general Biblical research! Surprised at that one??

Oh, and I also love making decorative wreaths (using grapevines as the base), holiday and everyday ones, as well as, holiday baskets, and floral arrangements! I'm into more of the "natural woodland" themes in such decorating.

One year, at our church, I was asked to purchase and decorate a 9 ft. tree for our foyer. I used birds, nests, and birdhouses and berries, fruits and fern and other "greens", ivy, vines etc. in the decorating. I also made wooden plaques, that I stained and decopaged (sort of) verses on paper I had burned the edges of and glued on the plaques. They were hung with small brass chains all over the tree, with the theme being "from the beginning to the birth and beyond"! I topped the tree with a large crown of thorns I made, and sprayed gold. This wreath hung over a cross as the topper! No lights on it, only illuminated by a spotlight! It took me 11 straight hours of putting it together and I loved every minute of doing it!

Whew--I'd be a busy gal doing all of that as "one job" at once now wouldn't I!!

Anybody actually doing their "dream job"?

janice

• ademink
    17 years ago

Yep. I run a non profit serving the homeless (www.pourhouse.org). I feel incredibly blessed to be doing my true dream job! Then again, a paycheck would be groovy too. LOL

• sassy7142
    17 years ago

janice, that Christmas tree sounds awsome. I enjoy making wreaths too. I made 4 to hang on the some of my favorite residents doors last Easter at the nursing home where I work. No bunnies or eggs on them, they all included a cross for the real meaning of that time of year.

My "dream job?" hmmm, let me think.....Frankly, I'd like
    to be independently wealthy, at least for a little while.
    I never, ever, ever get board so I'd like to stay home and "play"
    Going to work messes with my play time. lol

• playinmud
    17 years ago

I love to create little gnomes out of clay...I was sitting and chatting, and this little guy just emerged out of the mud. I've made several gnomes and angels for my garden. I really enjoy deviating from what people consider the norm when it comes to pottery. Its fun stuff.

Donna

• User
    17 years ago

Your right, the manager and monitor of the forum would be a cool job. The Midwest idea also appeals to my creative side. I have been doing a lot of self reflection on this topic as I am (hopefully) temporarily unemployeed. My "dream" (and I do mean dream) job would be National Geographic Photographer (I could scour the world photographing HOSTA).....

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Buff, Sounds like great fun! There'a a National Geographic photographer that lives in my area, he's never around, always all over the world. Also, you'd have to get a hosta sitter. Now that's a job I'd like.

Anyone need a sitter for their hostas? ;^D

Donna

• ademink
    17 years ago

I would *love* to own a hosta farm!

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Donna - you can babysit my hostas but please do not bring a shovel and a suitcase.

Andrea - I think you should go work for Bob Solberg or another nursery for a week......... and then report back
    :-)

• playinmud
    17 years ago

LOL Teresa!!! I need a suitcase for my clothes, but I'll leave the shopping bags at home. Really, I would NEVER take anyone's hostas, that whole thing still rankles me! You'll need to post another thread to let us know when something comes of your episode with the witch, I mean rich whacko.

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Donna aka PIM - I will post the results later. Or perhaps an email to those of you in my address book. The thread on the main hosta page has resulted in more than 80 posts. Has any other thread done that since Curtis' hybridizing thread? Both items are of interest to members of this forum and there will be more to follow.

Teresa

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Andrea - nice website for pourhouse.org

• ademink
    17 years ago

Thank you, Teresa!!! :) We have another site coming up - www.pourhouseproject.org. Someone just GAVE us a house and we are rehabbing it for housing, whoohoo!!!!

So you think running a hosta farm would suck? Is Solberg a slave driver? lol

• bluepoppy
    17 years ago

I was sort of surprised to see National Geographic mentioned... because this summer I went on a big cruiseline to Alaska which was fun.... but my absolute DREAM vacation would be to go on one of those Lindblad expeditions (small ships with {{gwi:895447}}

{{gwi:895449}}

BubbleNet feeding.
    {{gwi:895451}}
    but to stay "on topic" lol, since I cant afford my dream vacation, I guess my DREAM JOB would be to work on one of those small ships and travel the world... WHALE WATCHING in Alaska, Penguins in Antartica, Polor Bears in Norway, etc.

I'm also working on an Ocean themed Hosta bed ...

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

What hosta's do you have in mind for your Ocean themed hostas bed. Thanks to Mildred Seaver you have plenty of choices.

If you don't have Sea Thunder you'll have to get it. It comes up this glow in the dark yellow/lime color in the spring. It does turn all green later in the year - but the spring color is worth it.

I just got Ebb Tide this year. Love the photos at THL and can't wait till mine looks like that!

• ademink
    17 years ago

My Sea Thunder is still streaky and amazing - I didn't know they turn all green! I *love* Ebb Tide also. I can't wait for mine to grow up either!!!

• bluepoppy
    17 years ago

Andrea, congratulations with the house and continued success in your dream job.

Donna, I would love to tag along with your neighbor at his job. Have you seen his photos?

Choco, I hope your new dream job is just around the corner.

The Ocean/Island themed bed is new this year. Things will need to be moved since its a new bed, but so far I only have four. You can probably spot 3 of them here... down in front.... are Maui Buttercups, Blue Hawaii and Queen of the Seas. Island Charm is hidden. Its looks pretty messy with all the fillers - I tend to stick annuals or other things in while waiting for the Hostas to grow up and spread out.

Teresa, I've always wanted Sea Thunder, so its just a matter of time. I'm not familiar with Ebb Tide ... so I'm headed over to the Library. LOL. Other suggestions would be great!
    {{gwi:895453}}

• playinmud
    17 years ago

I have Ebb Tide, its a great hosta. Similar to Ginsu Knife. Here are the two. Ginsu knife is on the left front and Ebb Tide is on the uppermost right.

{{gwi:895455}}

• Janice
    17 years ago

There you go, Donna, making my "I-want-it" list even longer now!!!!! "Ebb Tide" number 550! :o)

janice

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Janice you'll love it, and if you're into growing hostas from seed, it sets seed really well.

Donna

• bluepoppy
    17 years ago

Ebb Tide looks like a must have. I love ruffled edges. Thank you!