Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playinmud

Influenced?

playinmud
17 years ago

I find it interesting how the hosta forum has influenced me. I've always loved gardening, but never got into labeling anything. Wasn't even going to do it when I started to collect hostas, but there was a really cool post by some hosta expert named eKn telling you what to do. He also recommended making maps of your beds in case the tags ended up missing. I thought, what the heck, sounds like a plan to me. Now I have everything tagged and maps of all the beds. I actually enjoy keeping track.

Anyone else influenced or motivated by this forum? Inquisitive minds want to know. ;o)

Comments (11)

• phil
    17 years ago

When I grew roses I always had maps of my rose beds. I spent hours on the computer maping out my rose beds. I knew what they were, when I bought them and fron who.
    phil

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Donna,I,like you, never labeled anything when I planted it. I never had that many of any one plant that I couldn't remember it. Now,I always label the new hostas,and the old ones still have labels. Except for the very newest ones which I just planted,I actually know every plant in my garden by sight,and I have over 250 of them! I guess you keep track of what interests you!lol! Phil

• Janice
    17 years ago

Hey Phil (ohio Phil)!! Glad to see you visiting the "lighter side" as I seem to be calling it, these days!

I'm afraid it never occurred to me that my hosta needed their names remembered, the several years ago when I had a couple!

One of the ones I started out with was a "Great Expectations" that had caught my eye, and then after two years the "great" part seemed a misnomer!!! It gradually disappeared! After that, I purchased some "Royal Standards" and one I have no idea what it is yet and then my big leap was the "Lady Isobel Barnett"! But, still, I wasn't really into retaining the names particularly!

How I ever found this forum, I do not remember! All I know, is that since then, I HAVE to know the names, and I HAVE to have them recorded as pix with names and I hover and look for all the HORRIBLE enemies of the garden and more specific to hosta, now that I know what to look for!

So, yes, I do have to say I have been very influenced by this forum and I honestly believe I enjoy them even more because of it, which really means because of all of YOU, who are so willing to share your experience, and your experiences and your enthusiasm.

Out of that "relationship" and given the "time" many of us have in on this forum, this sort of "Conversations" option (if we are restricted otherwise) is very natural and freeing up in continuing to "grow" in the "knowing" of one another. How can we not want to go beyond the "information only" aspects, given the value we put on receiving it, and getting it from the wonderful folks who are so open in sharing the knowledge, the pix and the fun of hosta? I want to know better, those who have benefited me most--is that so unusual??

janice

• hostarox
    17 years ago

Phil, I used to say that, too! One day I went out and looked at 5 Medium sized blue green tardianas in an area that had many others in it. Ok, I knew where Osprey was, and Camelot, too. I now have Hadspen Blue, Blue Dimples, and Blue Wedgewood to identify. I know, probably easy to do, if I pay attention. I just need to do it. The labels on those have been gone for years. Maybe I don't care. They all look sweet in spring! I have become a labeling advocate. I lost my memory after 500 cultivars. We all know which one is Liberty. I almost lost it last summer trying to ID a mature plant in my garden. I crossed-referenced my list one night for hours. Ended up it was 'Mildred Seaver' too many look like it, but I had an old pic labeled from 2002. I really need to make maps, too.

• papou
    17 years ago

For me, it is important to know where All my hostas are and the name of each variety. It adds fun to this hobby of mine. I have a map for each bed which I bring with me in the field (not the bed...the map). Then it's complimented by the 100s of pics that I take each year with my digicam. I take a photo of each variety and compare it to the size it had the previous year. This way I find out which hosta is a fast grower and which is a slow grower...or whatever.

Papou

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

When I first started planting hosta I had no labeling in the garden for them. I did save the plant tags that came in the pots, but those are in my garden notebook along with all my other plant tags I keep for reference. I figured I could remember what they all were, since there were only like 5 or 6 of them.

I remember reading on this forum Ken telling someone to buy plant markers in bulk, because "you know you'll need them" and he learned the hard way you can't remember all the names.

As I became more "influenced" or should I say enabled by this forum, I just had to have more hosta. I think it was some where around #12 or 15 that I thought OK I need to start marking these babies, lol.

So now they each have their own little marker proudly stating their name. I also take pictures of each new one and the entire bed so I can compare the growth from year to year.

Janet

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Hostarox,I have over 250 hostas,but they are not all different cultivars;let me say that to clarify. I have many multiples. I only have 147 different cultivars. As for blues,I only have a couple,because most of them DO look alike. For instance any Sieboldiana type. To me they're just different plants that someone made up a new name for. Most of my blues are the supposedly 'Elegans',and I have 10 of those,that I bought in a bag,back when I didn't know any better! I really prefer variegated types. Phil

• hostarox
    17 years ago

I hear ya, Phil! I love the variegated ones, too! There's alot of those that are look-alikes as well, unfortunately.
    I guess my point was that I started to forget what some were a few years ago, because too many variegated plants in one area tends to be too busy, so I would add a gold one, or a green, or a blue to make it more pleasing to the eye, and of course I would buy something I didn't have already. One spring I had about 35 with faded beyond recognition labels, so I decided I better be making more permanent markers, just for my own sanity. Thank goodness I could still remember most! I had help planting 42 last weekend, and all they have is the crappy little plastic labels with them that came with the plants, so I have work to do here yet, because I know some will get misplaced, and I will wonder next year, "hmmm.....is that?" BTW. I am done for the year now. :-))

• User
    17 years ago

I have definitely been influenced and learned a lot because of the forum. Thank you forum members!

When I had less than 50 hosta, I would walk my gardens and test myself on the names so that I would be ready for visitors. As my collection grew, I realized that my memory was not enough. My first hosta labels were metal markers with indelible marker. I was lucky to get a year from the ink... However forum members recommended P-touch and now I have the best looking labels around -- because of the forum!

I have been collecting hosta since 2000 - however, I have only learned about virus and nematodes this year...because of the forum. And more importantly, I learned how to deal with these and other hosta afflictions ...because of the forum.

And now hybridizing...I will give credit to Curtis and the forum! How did I survive the five hosta collecting years before the forum? Good question!

• schenley
    17 years ago

I guess I'm waaaaaaaay too compulsive, but all my plants are tagged with both the name and a number that corresponds to my database. The plants are all numbered in multiples of 10 unless I've split the plant, then it becomes an odd number. For instance, my first Elegans is number 240 and has two daughters...numbered 241 and 242; the second purchased Elegans is number 250 and has one split that is number 251. That way I can also keep track of which plant it originally came from.
    The database also has the year purchased, where purchased, number of eyes each season, the name of the bed where it's located and a special notes section.
    I'd love to take credit for the system, but I think I got the idea from this forum several years ago.

• anitamo
    17 years ago

I never would have learned about nematodes and HVX if it wasn't for this forum. And how to prevent the spread. But the most influential lesson I've learned through this forum is the JOY of hosta collecting. Oh, the joy joy joy.