Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

The Bear Story or How to Squash a Hosta

mctavish6
17 years ago

Here is the story of "my bear". I hope no one is disappointed at the quality of the bear pictures. It occured to me someone might be expecting a clear bear picture. I couldn't get my camera to work when it was daylight. I'd put the memory chip in wrong but we were all running around in a panic and by the time I figured it out he was gone. When he came back after dark, I couldn't get the flash to work. I altered the shots as best I could to at least see his outline. The patio lights were on so the one under the walnut tree is a little better. At this point we're just hoping he's either hybrinating or else gone up the mountain.

{{gwi:896028}}

{{gwi:896029}}

{{gwi:896031}}

{{gwi:896033}}

{{gwi:896034}}

{{gwi:896037}}

{{gwi:896039}}

{{gwi:896040}}

Comments (3)

• Janice
    17 years ago

Oh my word!!!! How scary! It seems that I've heard the black bears aren't normally terribly aggressive toward humans,
    unless they have cubs, but I would never rely on that to feel safe in being out in the open with one!

BTW, how in the world did you do your "story" like that, with the green background and white font! That is too awesome!!!
    I think you could teach me more than a few things about such things, McT!!!

Thank you for the interesting and suspenseful story and so well presented in the way you did it!!!

janice

• hostasformez4
    17 years ago

I'd be packed and moving if a bear got anywhere near my home or garden! My heart was racing just reading your story!It's enough to have to have coon, possim and groundhog wondering around in the neighborhood.

I was much braver as a child and young adult.

Connie

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Janice, You're right about the bears not generally being agressive. We do have one in the area that is a mother with 2 cubs. Lots of people have seen them. We thought "my bear" was that one at first. We wondered if she was sitting under the fir tree because her cubs were up there. It might have been true but the other times we saw her before and after - we never saw the cubs so we concluded it was a male and he was tipsy. When I go for a walk during this time of the year, I talk continually to Brody and whatever cats are following. I cough and make noise and I figure that takes care of it. I think the most dangereous thing would be to startle one and the Walnut tree is SO close to the front door.

Connie, we have skunk, marmots, cougars. The other day a racoon was at the sliding door to our balcony on the other (non hosta) side of the house. This is one floor up and just off the living room were we were watching TV. I thought it was one of my cats. One of the cats was sitting in a chair right there but ignored the racoon. He slowly walked away. On a walk to the wilder part of our property we found a moose antler a couple days ago. I love the natural world and would love to see a cougar - but at a distance!

Janice, as far as the background what I do is. Bring your saved picture or pictures to the program you work with (I love mine - if your's doesn't do the things mine does, let me know and I'll connect you with this one). In the program you can crop, change the color and texture of the background add text with whatever color you want. You can do this with one picture or several together. When you've got it the way you want, you select "crop" and outline the whole thing leaving some of the colored background as if you were framing it. You don't actually crop anything. Then I save it to my Picture file selecting the size I want it to appear in photbucket (800-1000 wide). With one picture the 800 or 900 seems to nicely fill the page. With the groups of 4 it seems to need to be larger 2500 or so. Before I close the photo program with the pictures I'm working with, I open what I've saved in my pictures to see the size. After that, you just save it to photobucket and it should appear just right. Have fun! McT