Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

My Town

mctavish6
15 years ago

Westy asked on another thread where in Canada I live and about the mountains seen in some of my pictures. I thought it would be fun to show some pictures of this area. Unfortunately I don't have lots because I'm usually taking pictures of the garden. I hope to correct this soon because I decided to try to market a Salmon Arm Calander locally. We'll see how that goes. It made me realize I NEED TO BRANCH OUT!

Anyway, I live above Canoe which is on the outskirts of Salmon Arm. Salmon Arm is at the top of the Okanagan Valley (which runs into Washington State near Spokane). It is in the southern interior of BC between Vancouver, BC and Calgary, Alberta. This valley is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Salmon Arm is on the Shuswap Lake. This lake is shaped like a big 'H'. We are on the bottom right leg. There are miles and miles of coastline, much of it accessable only by boat. Houseboating is a big tourest attaction in Salmon Arm and particurarly in Sicamous (15 minutes east of here). There are about 20 thousand people here plus the suburbs (I could be out on this). The town has 5 traffic signals along the trans Canada hwy. which runs right through the center of town. The size is perfect and being 10 minutes outside of town is even better for me.

The mountains just to the east of us are the Monashee. One hour east is Revelstoke which is the begining of the Canadian Rockies. Skiing is big in this area (though not with me). Revelstoke is currently putting in the longest downhill ski run in North America and 4th longest in the world.

The hills seen in many of these pictures were originally the level of the land. The lake is an old volcanic lake. Mount Ida in the pictures is an old volcano and really is a mountain not a hill. I'm not sure about Mt.Bastion which is the subject of so many of my pictures. I don't really think it's tall enough to be a mountain. I live in an area called Lyman Hill which is a part of Larch Hills (home to popular cross country ski trails).

Canoe is just down at the bottom of the hill (one mile) and was the original settlement in this area. I think it's about 200 families, maybe more. I know in the elementary school which went from kindergarden to grade 7 there were 145 kids. There is a school, store, post office and pub. It is the swiming area for Salmon Arm since the Salmon arm bay is way to shallow.

Salmon Arm and the lake looking North West. This shows the west side of town - a part of Fly Hills and Gleneden.

The shallow bay

Salmon Arm Wharf looking north to Mt. Bastian

This is a man-made lake at the edge of town called McGuire Lake. There is a nice, flat, one mile walk around it.

There is a much longer nature walk along the shore to a nature preserve called Christmas Island. This is full of birds and other wildlife and really interesting I think.

This is on the nature walk

This was talken along the road I live on looking West toward Fly Hills in the distance. The middle area is called North Broadview. It's a peninsula sticking out into the lake. There are farms along it with a view from either side of the road. One looks East toward where I live and one looks west toward Salmon Arm. I often come home this way.

Eastern view from North Broadview toward Larch Hills

A bit closer view. The topmost green field with the house barely seen at the top is my nearest neighbor about 1/4 mile away. These are the people with all the lamas and horses. I live aproximately where the dark tree trunk is to the right of the smoke. There is nothing up behind us as far as Sicamous and Mara Lake

These next pictures were taken of the mountain that is a mountain - Mt. Ida. The first is from North Broadview looking south.

This is midway up Lyman Hill

This was taken from my road.

This is from the road looking down at the village of Canoe. That is North Broadview sloping down from the left.

Canoe Wharf at water level

Looking West from the Wharf

Looking East from the warf. Lyman hill in the distance.

A Nice shot of Shuswap Lake

I hope some of you will want to share your town/city/street

pictures. McT, Myrle

Comments (18)

• jel48
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Myrle, I'm going to have to come back and drool over these in detail a little later, but just wanted you to know that I came and took a quick peek now and that they just made me go..... 'Ahhhhh.....'

Your part of the world is absolutely beautiful.

• phil
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great pictures. Nothing in my world can compare with any of that. Thanks for sharing.
    "phil"

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Beautiful Myrle! I had no idea that you lived in such an area. Thank you for sharing with us. How wonderful to see a slice of your world.

PIM

• hostasformez4
    15 years ago

Nothing near me to compare to that. Mostly rolling farm land. I am on a state highway just infront of, but not included in, a subdivision around a small manmade lake.I used to be able to see part of the lake from my back yard until my neighbor built a new garage.

Connie

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Wonderful,wonderful,wonderful.Thank you for the trip.
    I was sharing all of this with my daughter yesterday,how nice it is to see different parts of the world from your own living room, although, the reality would be ever so much better,can't do it all,eh?
    So nice to see such beautiful country,thank you Myrle.

I love your idea of a calander for your home town,i am sure it will be a great hit,good luck with that.
    Carol

• jel48
    15 years ago

This is the fourth time I've come back, just to look at the photos. Myrle, you live in such a beautiful place. I would love to visit your area some day. I've never been more then 40 miles north of the Canadian border (in Quebec not west) and never further west in the US then the eastern corner of Montana. Maybe some day......

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Very beautiful,Myrle! Some of the pictures look like they could have been taken around here! Our color is really coming up here in the mountains also! The only place I've ever been in Canada,was Ontario,just northeast of where my wife is from in Michigan,but that was a long time ago,and I don't remember much about it,except it looks a lot like that part of Michigan. Again,thanks Myrle for showing us a part of your world,which I may never see. I was once stationed near Spokane,Wash.,when I was in the Air Force. Over 40 years ago. Phil

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone. I'm glad you liked the pictures. It's funny how we have preconceived ideas of what other places look like. My husband, who grew up in Ontario and Quebec (places I've never been) jokes about Americans who would cross the border in the summer with ski's on the car - they were going to Canada after all!

Phil, I have not been south to Spokane but imagine it's somewhat like this since it's part of the "Okanagan".

Joyce, it seems you are about as much of a travelier as I am. I've never been east at all- that is except on my way back from Germany in 1969 when I stoped for a week with a fellow Army wife to visit her in Brooklyn. We went into New York City one day and drove around a little then when there was no where to park, went back to Brooklyn. It's like another world to me. Of course Southern California is about as different from here as the moon. By the way, I do have a guest room!

Connie, I love rolling farm land. My view is great but my eyes usually gravitate to the fields of North Broadview. Progress sucks sometimes. In the second picture between the wharf and before the line of trees is land that is being hotly fought over. The land has been bought by developers and a Wallmart is suppose to go in there. You can imagine the protests. Personally, if people want to have a Wallmaart in their town, fine, but to put it on the shoreline is such a poor use of one of this towns attractions I think the planners should have their heads examined. This is a great town in size, location etc. but it is very poorly planned. It's not a town with much 'quaint' charm if you know what I mean. They just built a new city hall that is the height of ugly (and cost a fortune). There is not a single restaurant (except one) that has a view of anything. That's pretty hard to accomplish when there is a view just about anywhere you look. The restaurant with the view is part of a chain, resort type hotel. The food has been lousy through 3 or more changes of management. It doesn't even really feel like it belongs to the town. This is one of my pet peeves (as you can tell) - the poor restaurants in this town. I'll get off my soap box now...

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Myrle, seeing your pictures makes me realize I need to get around a bit more in our wonderful province. Furthest away from the Lower Mainland I've been in the past 5 years is Vernon, just down the road a piece from you. And I need to take some time going through the pictures of Steveston and put them up here like you did.....

• Janice
    15 years ago

Wonderful pics, and beautiful area as, I've come to appreciate, Myrle! You are SO blessed
    to be able to live there in the beauty!!

• gardengirl_nancy
    15 years ago

Beautiful pics!!!! About 20 years ago my hubby and I went to Banff National Park, I loved Canada, everywhere we went was so gorgeous. I really would have loved spending a month just driving around but of course we had to get back to work. I always wanted to go to B.C. there was a place close to Seattle I wanted to go to but at the moment I can't think of the name, it was a garden. I also use to watch a garden show from B.C. when we use to have a "big" dish, can't get it now on dish network. I also loved Gardeners Journal it was filmed in Canada, until HGTV took it off the air. I've begged them to bring it back but they never have. Canada is very beautiful, wish I lived there.

• Carole Westgaard
    15 years ago

I only just tonight got back onto GW after having been MIA for a week....thank you SO much for this, McT. These pictures are breathtaking. I've heard of Revelstoke but can't remember why or where. My son always said he would move to BC in a heartbeat. We're from northern Minnesota which somewhat resembles many of these pics without the mountains. I want to move there! You are so lucky. I'd get going on that calendar...

Thank you again,
    Westy

• pzelko
    15 years ago

WOW! Myrle, dont know what else to say!! Beeaaaauuuuttttiiiifffuullll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! again!! thank you so much for sharing this with us!!
    not that i feel any closer to you (there are 7 traffic lights the first 1 1/2 miles before the xway on my way to work). You seem like a world far away! Makes me think of what life should be like everywhere!!

and a Walmarts? (in a little town like that?) then McDonalds, and then you'll have a Macey's!! Go knock those city planners over the head!!

Tell them to plant Hosta there instead!!!

Paul

PS I am sOOOOOOOOOOOOOO envious!!!

PS again, would love to see some pictures of your town in the winter!! that would look great in your calender too!!

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again. It is really beautiful in this area. I've been fortunate that ever since I moved to Canada in 1973 I've always lived in a relatively secluded, beautiful place. The first was on Vancouver Island north of Victoria. I rented a log house on the property of a well to do lady and went to her house and cooked 5 nights a week. The house was on the ocean and a world away from Southern Calif. where I grew up. The first house my husband and I bought was on Salt Spring Island. That was a great experience for the time. We lived on a small lake. When our kids were small we decided it was time to move. A friend lived in Salmon Arm and when we visited him, we loved it. No taking ferries anywhere would have sold me on just about anywhere!

Paul, we already have a McDonalds, A&W, Dairy Queen, Wendy's, Joey's Only, Dominoes Pizza, Subway and probably others that are thankfully slipping my mind. I call this the lousy resturant capitol of Canada. We are 45 minutes from a slightly larger town of Vernon that has everything except Cost-co. I'm perfactly happy to go there if I want to go to Wallmart or Home Depot but nobody asked me! The planning here is really pathetic. I've often felt that those in charge should be made to actually GO somewhere and see what is done in other places with a shoreline like ours.

Where the wharf is in the pictures coming toward you is East. This area between the wharf and the nature preserve has been the subject for controversary since I've lived here. The person who owned the land between the wharf and the nature preserve walk wanted to develop it. I can't really remember what he wanted to do but whatever it was the city wouldn't let him. He was so frustrated at one point he was threatening to put an RV park there for spite. It was already zoned for that so they couldn't have stopped him. Gradually some buildings were built in this area. The first ones were government offices. That's where you went to get your drivers license and file claims about bad tennants. It was so weird. I pictured something like the Steveston area in Vancouver or Monterey in Calif. The vision was certainly lacking. Now there are a couple townhouse developments which are for retired people plus a big very expensive, care facility. The bay is very shallow and the railroad track runs between the town and the shoreline. That seems to separate the town from the shore in a weird kind of way. If you don't have particular buisness across the tracks, you don't go there. The property being fought over for wallmart is West of the wharf. I've been told it's the only spot large enough to accomodate the type of shopping center they want to build. I guess there are 'politics' to deal with no matter where you live. Sad....

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Wow Myrle I just came across your posting from 2008 and it makes me proud to call this my home too. I think there even is a picture of our field in your pictures.. this was way back when I never knew what the green things that they called a Hosta. Thanks to you I have opened a whole new world of gardening joy
    I found this picture of the Shuswap Lake, there are five arms and the 1500 miles of shoreline and right below where were both live. We see numerous houseboats on the lake in the summers and 12 miles north east is Sicamous, the houseboat capital

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

our boat trip to Seymour Arm Branch of the lake

• User
    11 years ago

Boy, how did I miss this thread! Probably because AlmostHooked brought it forward from 2008, you reckon?

What a great place to wake up every morning.
    I'm a fan of waterfront living, just not of ocean front.
    We had a lovely river house, which we lost to Hurricane Katrina, and it sort of soured us on rebuilding.

I might can find a picture of the river area. This was the view we had of Dog River from my kitchen sink in that house.

• tsbccowboy
    11 years ago

Just the usual outstanding photos by Mc-T. I am in awe every time I see your photos.

Cowboy