Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
upnort_gw

carol, bees and cell phones

upnort
15 years ago

no thats not a new song Im working on! Carol, I googled "cell phones,bees" and got several reports but no book. The C.C.(D) is actually Colony Collapse Disorder. "The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their was back to their hives.Imporbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up." It continues to say that allthats left in the hive then are queens and eggs and a few immature workers. The west coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of its commerical bee population, with 70 per cent missing in the east coast. It goes on to tell more. I found this on http;//www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/are-mobile-phones-wiping-out-our-bees. Just google cell phones, bees. I think this article is the 2nd one. scarey....

Comments (7)

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Thank you Renie,
    I did read the artical,it sounds very much like what they talked about on the radio,i did send a e mail to the radio station i was listening to, and they did not respond,go figure.
    I knew i could count on you guys for the answer, :0)
    I am aware of this problem we are having with our bees, but what are we to do,we better wake up, and real soon eh?
    Thank you Renie,i appreciate your help.
    Nice to hear from you on the forum, you been gone awhile.
    How have you been doing with your craft,and what do you do?
    Carol

• hostasformez4
    15 years ago

Interesting information. Yesterday I visited a wonderful Children's Garden near Elmwood ,IL. I saw the first regular honey bee I have seen in a long time going through the flowers. I have seen many bumble bees in my garden and a few honey bees this past summer.

We also visited two prairies, Goose Lake Prairie State national Area and Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie. Midewin is a former army ordiance physicality taking in 20,000 acres (36 square miles) and parts are being restored to native IL. prairie. Midewin is raising native prairie plants and harvesting them to help restore their vast areas. They had to deer proof the seed growing areas. We watched harvesting of some of the plants and got to see the seed cleaning and storing building. A very interesting day to say the least.

Connie

• smorz
    15 years ago

Cell phones do not just mess with bees' navigational skills... it seems to have an adverse reaction to humans, as well. It seems to mostly divert them from the ability to drive!

All kidding aside, not enough people seem to be concerned about the lack of bees. I have clover all around my raspberry patch, and all I found over the summer was some sweat bees, and an occasional bumble bee. That is not typical. Although I am not convinced on any particular cause... I do lean towards pesticides used such as dusting to kill Japanese Beetles. Maybe it is an accumulation of many things. *shrugs*

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

I just ordered the book"A Spring without Bees"How Colony Collapse Disorder Has Endangered Our Food Supply,pointed out to me from Tom.Thanks Tom.
    I just received it yesterday,looks like a good read.

It is the same with our bates,the World over,they are dying,and no one knowes why,a Theroy is,to much pesticide has been used to kill the mosquito,bats eat the mosquito,and die.Pretty simple eh?

Oh, about our bees,i remember reading somewhere that Haagen-Daze ice cream depends on bees 40% out of its 60 flavors,Strawberry,toasted pecan abd banana split,we may-MAY, be able to grow some of our own food,MAYBE!,but what about the 100s of 1,000s of achers of food cropes we need the bees for?

Smoez,i am with you,**heavy shrug**,now we have the new Kindel,a great tool, but,we will be needing more towers i am sure.We are shooting our self in the foot, one toe at a time.
    Carol

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Cell phones may not be the environmental cause of colony collapse disorder (CCD). There are studies going on by universities looking at genetically modified (GM) crops as the root cause of the demise of the honey bee. The theory is that the pollen and nectar from these crops is what's killing the bees.

Regardless, this will be globally catastrophic if it isn't fixed.

PIM

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

PIM,
    Yes, i had heard this also,(GM) cropes are hurting the butterfly population as well.
    What can we do as "commoners" when sooooo many want the new technology,blackberries,cell phones,kindels,and who knows what else!
    A new and inproved model every couple of months,so our land fills are overflowing with "stuff",my grandaughter who is 13,does not have a cell phone,when school started,a friend of hers also 13, was brought to Best Buy and "updated"his "stuff" at the tune of $1,500 dollors.Have parents lost their minds?
    Carol

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Carol,

Bees are so important, this whole thing makes other problems pale by comparison. It makes me wonder.

And you're right, the way some folks live is sad. Perhaps the root of it is lack of contentment? We live in a throw-away society, always have to own the best of everything, can't be outdone by anyone. Out with the old in with the new. The sad thing is these parents are teaching their kids this way of life. My parents didn't have a lot of money and that rubbed off on "us kids", we learned how to save money and spend wisely.

PIM

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert