Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Your forum Moniker

Teresa_MN
17 years ago

I had to start this thread because I just got tickertoo and kiterloo mixed up in another thread.

Last spring in the AHS Journal there was an article on internet names. Cbiiidesigns - remember him - Ken from Illinois? His name was chosen because he has three boys with the initials cb. I only mention that because his moniker was one featured in the article.

When I first started at the forum, I was lurking and there was this guy that kept posting. Ken_Adrian. For some reason the day I signed up I decided to go with my real name and location - like he did.

For those of you whose names are not obvious - what was your reason or story behind choosing your name?

Comments (55)

• ademink
    17 years ago

I was also a college cheerleader and was a biology and geology double major. I understand, Buff!!!

My Ebay moniker is the one I've used for the most years - loj555. Lion of Judah 555....one of the symbolic names for Jesus and my favorite number 3 times...because I'm obsessive. LOL

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Buff24 - just for the record - I have bid against you before.......

Teresa

• buff24
    17 years ago

That's ok Teresa... I was just kidding before... I only mentioned it because I use the same name here and on ebay and it's part of the reason why I chose buff24 for my moniker here. Mostly for simplicity's sake! I have SO MANY usernames and passwords for various websites, it's SO hard to keep track of them. I'm a firm believer if you have the money to spend, then bid away! I would even bid against my own mother, if the opportunity arose and I was so inclined...

Out of curiosity, do you remember what was it you bid against me on? And did you win or did I?? :-)

Buff

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Buff24 - or may I say Bethany so I don't confuse you with hostabuff and spread the rumor that one of you is pregnant?

I don't remember the hosta but I am thinking it was galaxy or some other streaked thing.

I did not win - but then again I think I gave up and went to bed. I don't think I knew the name of the individual that was selling. I'm very leery of bidding if I know nothing of the seller.

Teresa

• Janice
    17 years ago

uuuhhhhh, Teresa, I do think you have someone else in mind in that "convertible"!
    I was not "that kind of girl", as we would say!!! I'm going to have to keep my eye
    on you, I can tell, as if I haven't been already! LOL

janice

• playinmud
    17 years ago

I chose my moniker because I like to "play in mud". I'm a potter, I also like to garden and play in that type of mud too. Don't really want my name plastered all around, because...well just because.

PIM

• buff24
    17 years ago

Ahh, yes I do bid on my fair share of the streaked breeders because I am pretty obsessed with them, but they always go too high for my budget! And you can call me Buff24, Buff, or Bethany, whatever works...

Buff

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Teresa and Andrea you know this story already, and it's too long for the forum. But the short of it is that in college I lived with another Jennifer and worked with two other ones. My friend's Dad said I looked more like a Margo than a Jennifer. So my roomates started calling me Margo. At the pizza place where I worked my name tag said Margo also.

It became my bar name afterwhile. If I didn't want to give out my real name I always used Margo. Hmmm, the good old days. My DH and my best friend's DH told me the other night they wished Margo would come out more often (my friends joked it was my other personality).

I can honestly say I am way too uncordinated to ever have been a cheerleader!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that margo - aka Jennifer.

Margo wrote: "My DH and my best friend's DH told me the other night they wished Margo would come out more often (my friends joked it was my other personality)."

I think Jen should come out more often. Who cares if you were too uncoordinated to become a cheerleader. You went to the bigger league. You are a hosta gardner.
    Teresa

• User
    17 years ago

Hmmmm....interesting that there are so many with cheerleading in their past. I was also a cheerleader in college and I have two daughters in college right now that are cheerleaders.... My buff in hostabuff is simply a play on my last name, LeBuff. I have a husband that grew up as "Buffy" and has been Buff all his working life and a daughter that was nicknamed Buff and Buffy in high school. It comes with the name. Members in my garden club think I am a hosta buff, however little do they know that I can probably fit all I know about hosta in a thimble....lol

• sassy7142
    17 years ago

I chose sassy because I'm sassy, so they say.

• ademink
    17 years ago

I became a cheerleader b/c none of those idiots knew defense from offense - I did. The squad learned football that year and then I quit. LOL

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Teresa, I think my husband would rather have Margo than Jen. He says I have a huge problem when it comes to buying hostas. So what if pretty soon there won't be any grass in my backyard, that's doesn't sound like a problem to me!

• playinmud
    17 years ago

LOL! No grass, that would be good for you Jen...or would you rather we call you Jennifer or Margo?? Get rid of the lawn, that's what I'm trying to do. I'm winning actually...I'm doing it slowly!

PIM

• megaul
    17 years ago

Boy, am I boring!

My gardenweb moniker is just my first two initials and my last name! At the time, I didn't want to use my email name, 'mysticmind' because I had gotten tired of explaining what that was all about.

In my next Life, I'll be a cheerleader in college, about 3 inchest taller, and much curvier. :-)

In real Life, I was a softball player. LOL!

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

well...mine is pretty self explanatory...

but....as i have now at the 200 mark....i may just have to change it....

jill

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Marsha you crack me up!! There is nothing boring about you my dear, that's for certain! You are a super talented person and I enjoy your posts.

Jill you go girl! The 200 mark is a real feat! How long have you been collecting? And you don't have to change the name, there are new hosta out there every year...isn't it a grand thing??

Oh, and I was never the cheerleader type, I would have been a good football player. I was solid muscle and as strong as an ox. I always helped my dad with construction projects...in my HS days I could pick up 2 bags of portland cement...they weighed around 98 pounds a piece. Those were the days...I'm lucky now if I can open a jar of pickles! LOL!

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Nothing unusual about my forum name. Years ago,one of our friends worked at a nursery that specialized in ferns. She used to wear a T-shirt that said Fern Freak,on it. I just sorta borrowed the name and called myself Hosta Freak. I even had a T-shirt made that says that! At one time,I had a small collection of 22 ferns in pots and hanging planters. All of them were house-type plants. I still like ferns,and added 2 new varieties to the garden this year,but now,I look for hardy ferns that can grow outdoors. Phil

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Wow. I feel a bit outclassed with all you college educated cheerleaders out there.

I'm just a plain hometown girl that likes digging in the dirt planting things.

I borrowed a saying from my growing up years when things like groovy, far out and I dig it were being used to describe things you liked.

Janet

• megaul
    17 years ago

COOL,Janet!!! I grew up in those times, too. :-)

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

Not a cheerleader here either...or basketball or anything...

our school was just getting ready to get into girls sports competitively...

playinmud...the hosta bug crept on me mighty slow...
    had 6 in 1996...added 6 more in 2000,,,,then a few here and there...
    added 16 last year which was my largest qty ever....
    till this year....so far 157 added this year...but i am POOPED OUT....so think i am done for 2006...

jill

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I see nothing wrong with no lawn either! The DH has a obsession with mowing the lawn. He can mow our 70 year old neighbors lawn!
    Jen

• FlowersForMyFarm
    17 years ago

I did the cheerleader thing too but only because at that time when you reached a certain age they wouldn't let you play football with the boys anymore. I was a bit of a tomboy.

Now, about the name. I'm afraid it's not very creative. Shortly after we bought our little farm a friend told me about trading plants on GW. So I joined because I thought it was a great way to get more flowers-for-my-farm and of course when it came time to choose a name my mind went blank so that's what I typed in.

• poppi
    17 years ago

This will be good...

Poppi goes back to the days when I was dating my now husband. We met thru work...I had a contract the he was working on and it was considered potential conflict of interest for us to be dating, so we kept a low profile. One year he and I and a couple of friends that he worked with went on vacation together. His friend said that he was going to refer to me a Poppi so that people he worked with wouldn't know who I was. So when I signed up for the web, I wanted to use another name...and since it was a flower, I decided to register as Poppi.

Oh yeah, we had a long distance relationship for 5 years before he left his job and moved to my neck of the woods. I took vacation from work, flew to El Paso, Tx where he picked me up and we drove to New Orleans where we got married. We then drove to Ohio where we are living, happily ever after! Now we have a large yard and are addicted to hosta. We will be celebrating our 6th anniversary on Oct 13th!

That's the story short and sweet. Probably more than you were looking for. Funny you should ask and glad I had a fun story.

poppi

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Poppi that is a great story! This was a good idea for a thread!

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

6th anniversary,huh,poppi? I have socks older than your marriage!lol! My wife and I just celebrated our 40th,in March! Phil

• playinmud
    17 years ago

That's terific Poppi, talk about romantic. You have a great story to tell and I'm glad you shared it.

And Phil, do you need us to chip in to get you some new socks? LOL! Just kidding.

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I have plenty of socks! Thanks,anyway!lol!

• Janice
    17 years ago

Well, Phil (NC Phil)we are almost "up to speed" with you, having been married for 38 years now!

Poppi--I love "your story" and I think you two make a wonderful couple!!! :o)

janice

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Most of you already know my name comes because I work in a candy factory.

But I need to see if GW will let me find a new name, I quit today.

• thehostage
    17 years ago

Years ago ,when we were all young and poor, my great friend built a house in an old orchard. I had become, shall we say possessed with hosta, and had given her a few. One day,I showed up with a truckload of plants and other stuff to work on her "landscaping". Her young (5?) son came running out to greet me and then turned to his Mom and yelled "Aunt Nancy is here and she has brought more hostages!!"

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Choc - you quit your job?? Why?

I think you should keep your name anyway. Choc or choco!

• Janice
    17 years ago

Hey Choco--keep the name and BTW I just tried to phone you!!!

janice

• poppi
    17 years ago

Well phil...I think I've had socks longer than I've been married...and I know my husband does too!!! LOL!! Congratulations on your enduring marriage. Let's see, I'll be 85 and he'll be 90 when we celebrate our 40th! Geez...I hope we're still working in the yard together then.

poppi

• jel48
    17 years ago

Mine, sadly, is my email address. jel (my initials before I remarried) and 48 because my ISP stuck that on. Do you suppose there were 47 jel's before me? Actually, if I had it to do over again, I'd go with my first name or maybe first name and last initials. At work my email address is joycelk.

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Janice, LOL, you called when I was about passed out from a very emotionally and physically demanding day, it barely registered that my cell phone was ringing and by the time I dug it out of the back pack I carry at work, you were gone and the number didn't register, as if anything in my mind would have registered at that point, I was just so gone, my mind was doing it's best just to shut down from overload.

Anyhow, I know how you worry about me, you are such a good person. So after I finish this, I'm going to e mail you to let you know what's going on so you stop your worrying. People like you, the ones with good souls, do so fuss and fret about others, even if they are just faceless names on the internet. I can't even imagine how special your real life friends must feel for having you in their lives.

• mary52zn8tx
    17 years ago

There is nothing fancy about my choice. Since there were several variations of Mary already here, I decided to use a number. I was born in 1952 and I was 52 at the time I joined so that seemed like as good a choice as any. Mary was a common name for my generation, but I have only run across a couple in the twenty some odd years I have taught school. Maybe it will come back in style someday.

• Janice
    17 years ago

Oh, Choco--you are so kind in your estimation of me!! It's not difficult to be concerned
    about someone like you!! :o)

Thank you for your emails--I was glad for the "details" but I will try calling again!
    Third time's the charm?? Get your phone out of your purse, okay? LOL

I'll try tomorrow if I can!

janice

• megaul
    17 years ago

Hey, Choc,

I hope everything is as it should be with you.

I don't like to speculate not knowing the details. I read some distress in your message, but maybe I was reading something that was not there.

Quitting your job might be a planned retirement, joyous time in your life, or it might be from some conflict that caused you to take a stand and leave.

Whatever it is, I hope it is what you want and I think you will always be Choc here.

If we can celebrate or sympathize, whatever the situation calls for, please, please, let us know. I, for one, greatly appreciate you and all you have contributed here and God knows, what you've contributed to Life in general.

• njpeter
    17 years ago

I am only a lurker. Originally I was Hexed (back in 1998) registered on GardenWeb in 2002, but like somebody else said "I forgot my password "so a new member nickname had to be created.
    Njpeter - first name and the state I am from.

Glad to meet you all.

• tsbccowboy
    17 years ago

The "tsbc" portion stands for Twin Cities Bicycling Club. I am not sure how I typed "tsbc" and not "tcbc", but i kept it anyway.

The "cowboy" portion is my nickname in the bike club. On one of my first club rides, four of us went out for lunch after the ride to Paninos. I ordered a Cowboy Panino and the waitress said "do you want jalepenos on that, Cowboy"? I have been Cowboy ever since. That was twelve years ago.

Cowboy

• micke
    17 years ago

Mine is the first part of my name, my beloved granmma always called me 'micke' with the E being silent, my real name is actually pronounced mEchelle, I am named after the Beatles song, it got tiring to try to explain that to people so I just stopped, I have one friend who calls me michelin, like the tire company and another that calls me p-chelle, so I have all kinds of nicknames to choose from.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Hey Peter, glad to see your post! I love the pics you posted in the gallery. That Montana Aueromarginata of yours prompted me to buy one.

• Janice
    17 years ago

Hi Peter, as well! I do remember you posting from time to time in times past--welcome aboard!

Cowboy--I always guessed your name had something to do with having a western flair and
    loving "tobasco sauce"! :>O Glad I got the straight story on that, now!!!LOL

Micke, I'd probably hang "Meesh" on you as an additional nickname! Sounds kinda cute I think! :O)

• dmi188
    17 years ago

Mine is simple....d for denise Mi for the first 2 letters in my last name, and 188 was tacked on at another forum.

Poppi, we share an anniversary, only mine is 27 this week.

• micke
    17 years ago

hey j, funny you would say that, there was a (supposedly) wild siamese running around out here, I started feeding her and one day she just walked right up to me and let me pick her up, well to my dogs disgust I brought her into the house, and she would NOT go back out, so I thought hmm... I took her out to my moms, she can keep her in the house. she named that cat Meeshka.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

What a sweet story Micke...glad you rescued that poor cat!

• Janice
    17 years ago

That is a neat story "Meesh"! Wasn't there a song on the old show "Mousketeers" that went "Meeshka, mooshka--mouseketeers...."? Or, am I really "losing it today"? There is evidence that I might on other threads!!LOL

janice

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

Interesting that this thread brought up cats. That's how I chose my name here. McTavish was a beautiful, beloved cat that I had for 15+years. I was nervious of using my real name, being new to computers and uncertain of the "out there" eliment of the web. McTavish was long before digital cameras so all the pictures I have are in an album. I found this picture of a very similar looking cat.
    {{gwi:896231}}

ps. my name is actually Myrle (strange spelling of Merle)

• micke
    17 years ago

What a pretty kitty! meeshka looks like that as far as the hair goes, but she is siamese (seal point I think) with the crossed eyes, and she has the biggest feet I have ever seen on a cat!