Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Finally DOING - Building the Cabin

jel48
15 years ago

The waiting is done. We closed on the property two weeks ago on 10/15. Now we're finally in the DOING stage!

I may have mentioned that the property had a structure on it.. kind of like a carport. Just a pole structure, with a metal roof, that was used to shelter a couple of sailboats. We decided to use the existing structure as the framework for our cabin. It's about 19' x 14' in size. The cabin will be made up of a kitchen/living area and two small bedrooms. There will also be a screened in 'sleeping porch' that runs down the length of one side.

{{gwi:896715}}

{{gwi:896716}}

{{gwi:896717}}

{{gwi:896718}}

{{gwi:896719}}

{{gwi:896720}}

{{gwi:896721}}

This last photo shows how far we are today. The front door will be on the end to the left of the photo..... then there will be the door to the screened in porch going off the side that's farthest away from the camera. Two small bedrooms on the back end (which is to the right in the photo) and a combination kitchen/living area on the front (which is left in the photo).

{{gwi:896722}}

Comments (15)

• yardmom
    15 years ago

Wow, Joyce! You really have quite a project! Good luck to you. And keep posting pictures!

• Janice
    15 years ago

HOW EXCITING IS THAT!!!! I love it!

Do the original posts of the carport have at least a 3 ft. footer supporting them? What a great
    head-start for you if they do! I hope they will prove to be enough to support the entire
    structure! Usually, you have to have a footer for the entire perimeter foot-print of a building!
    But, again, many trailers are just set on blocks when they're set up! :o)

Forgive my nosiness--I live with an Engineer and we've done so much renovation and remodeling that
    he's rubbed off on me with all the 'specs' required for permits and the like around here!

I forget--were you going to have any plumbing, etc. or are you going 'primitive'! LOL

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

WOW!You guys are coming right along aren't you.
    Looks great so far,are your support polles steel?They look to be.
    When are you expecting to be finished with the whole building?Will it be log on the out side?
    I guess you better be prepaired for a lot of questions from us all,lol
    Nice job so far,and good luck to you both,what fun!
    Carol

• playinmud
    15 years ago

You're really moving right along. Can't wait to see the next set of photos.

PIM

• Janice
    15 years ago

I bet Joyce and hubby are really working hard--she's not been back for awhile!

I can't wait to see the end results--oh, and the progress pics. along the way, when you get a chance, Joyce!
    Work while you can--you know--winter is coming, then we can see the results when you do get snowed in! :o)

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm here Janice... just haven't had much time to update.

We worked on the cabin over the weekend and on Monday afternoon. We were slowed up by rain on Saturday (photos up Gary and I drenched and pooped below) and had to make a run to Marquette for more 2x4 studs on Sunday. I had mis-calculated. And Marquette is 100 miles away so needless to say, a good half day was shot! Then, on Sunday, Gary had to spend 2 hours tarring seams in the metal roof. The roof was already there when we bought the place. If we'd done it ourselves, we'd have had it sealed right to begin with. Anyway, I measured, cut, fitted, etc, while Gary was tarring so I kept busy but one person alone doesn't accomplish so much.

{{gwi:896723}}

{{gwi:896724}}

We did get back to work on Monday afternoon and finished EVERYTHING that is necessary before putting on the siding. I work 10 hour days (until 7 pm) 4 days a week so it's been dark by the time I got off work the rest of the week. Gary is off at 2 pm, but the siding is in 4x8 sheets and is too awkward and too heavy for one person to lift, hold in place, and put in screws to hold it. So he's been chomping at the bit all week! We're going to get it on over the weekend, rain, shine, or snow (and I already know it is supposed to be all rain, snow and COLD! No shine)!

I'll post more pics next week ;-)

We actually do feel really good about what we've got done so far, even if it's not quite as far along as we hoped it would be by this time. I think we've accomplished an amazing amount of work (for 2 people) in a very short time.

Oh... and one more pic... we saw this pile of 'skat' (poop to anyone who doesn't know what skat is) and were very curious about what left it there. The pile was about 7 inches across and the individual turds were a good inch and a quarter in diameter and it was FULL of hair! I was able to find out what it was from a hunting guide who is a friend of ours. It is WOLF SKAT! So, we have deer, bears, a host of small animals, and WOLVES on our property! Lions and tigers and bears, oh MY!

{{gwi:896725}}

• Janice
    15 years ago

Lions and tigers and bears and wolves--OH MY! is right!!! Good grief--be careful!!!LOL

Love the progress pics. and it's looking really good!!! I know you are working so, very, hard--and well do
    I remember that sort of hard working! But, I also know how good I feel about what we've done when
    I look at it now, and I barely remember the 'pain' and 'exhaustion' of those seemingly unbearable days!

Looking good---can't wait!! I KNOW you can't wait to be done and having a cozy seat inside before long!!!!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Wow again Jel,
    Sure is lookin good!
    You are about at the point you can set back inside and enjoy a hot cup of coffee,are you burning wood inside,i forgot yo ask you.
    When we were bulding, we,also,had a whole days shot,if we needed something, closest lumber for us would take 1/2 day to get,and home again.
    OH, you and Myrual,(mactavish),i hate the thought of you guys being out there with BEARS,oh, you don't have bears,DO YOU?
    You guys are doing a great job, and i think you have done amazing,on the progress you have made in so short of a time.
    It is nice to have something to look forward to, seeing your pictures,:0)
    Carol

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

I LIKE my bears! I'm fine that they come around in the spring and fall when they need to find something to eat. They were here first after all. A neighbor wanted us to get some bear spray since we take Brody for a walk down 1/4 mile to the corner every morning and evening. There had been a "bear break in" we were told, I guess the bear came into someones house. This neighbor thought we should have bear spray in case.... I asked my husband where this happened - "on the hill? - in Canoe? - where? He forgot to get that piece of information. It was in Kelowna I found out. Anyway, he told the friend that if he bought bear spray he would no doubt leave it in the house and then what would he do tell the bear to wait a minute while he went back for it?

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Oh Mctavish,
    I hope i did not offend you,i am sorry if i did.
    I know you love your bears, and all of the great critters you have in the wild,it's not you, it's me!
    For no real reason, i have a giant fear of bears,and i just get scared for you is all.Please don't be offended.
    Funny story about the bear spray,how would one use something like that?
    So the break in was not close to you?
    Carol

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

No, I just thought it was funny! It's weird what people are afraid of isn't it? Lot's of people I know are afraid of spiders or snakes. One friend doesn't like cats and gets afraid when they purr. Have you ever actually been around a bear? The break in, by the way, was in Kelowna which is an hour and a half from here and a city which would make it seem less likely. Anyway, I think the bear spray is like pepper spray and if one is actually coming at you you spray it at them. Unless you come between a mom and her babies I don't think you need to worry. When it's the time for them to be around here there is usually fresh bear "evidence" on the road every day. I just talk loud to Brody all the time we're walking.

Personally, I'm more leery of some of the humans on this planet.

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope you're not tired of pictures yet.... We finally got the building enclosed, last Saturday. The first picture shows the progress that Gary made by himself after work on Friday. I was amazed he could manage to lift the siding and screw it on all by himself. Still don't know how he managed to do that! Anyway, it was raining Saturday morning and snowing Saturday afternoon and we worked right through it all. We stopped once in the early afternoon to warm up in the car, eat a snack, and put on dry coats. We were both sooooo cold. My feet felt like semi-frozen stumps and they HURT! (No, no frostbite). And Gary's hands were so cold that he slipped two or three times with the cordless drill when putting in screws and jammed the screwdriver into his own hand. Miserable.

But.... we DID IT! It is 100% enclosed. Now we can spend a little time doing things inside this winter.

{{gwi:896726}}

{{gwi:896727}}

{{gwi:896728}}

{{gwi:896729}}

{{gwi:896730}}

{{gwi:896731}}

{{gwi:896732}}

I set the timer and put the camera in the back of the truck to get this photo of the two of us with the cabin. As it turned out, I had the settings wrong for the amount of light and it's awfully washed out, but oh well...

{{gwi:896733}}

{{gwi:896734}}

And THIS photo was taken through the windsheild as we drove home after we finished. This is what we'd been working in, toward the end, although it really doesn't show up that much on the last few photos.

{{gwi:896735}}

• Janice
    15 years ago

re: "I hope you're not tired of pictures yet...."

No, never tired of pics!! It's like we're there with you, minus the frozen fingers and toes
    and slush in the eyes, teeth and hair--brrrrr!! But, it so much fun to see your progress!!!
    I bet, that despite the misery--you are having fun!!!!

You're really on your way now, Joyce!!!! And, thank you for thinking of me and praying for me!
    Your prayers were heard!!! :o)

Now, if you think of me in the next few weeks, and I can get you to extend prayers about that
    nodule in my lung--that would, also, be great and very appreciated!!! :o)

But, in the meantime, keep the camera rolling (poor Gary--the price of being a 'star'!).
    And, you, Joyce, make a very nice co-star, as well!!! :o)

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

You guys are very impressive. You got that done so FAST. I also recognize that table full of tools in one of the pictures. Ours are usually left on the front porch bench where I want to sit an put my shoes on.

You may have been asked this but how far away from your house is the cabin? (driving hours not miles). How nice for you to be doing this project together.

• shade_tolerant
    15 years ago

Very amazing pix Joyce! I wish you and your husband much happiness with your newly built cabin. What fun it will be to garden there next year. You will have to juggle time keeping up two gardens!!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource