Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Recipe favorites 'in season and out'!

Janice
17 years ago

Here we go--our own "Forum Cookbook"!! Add your "favorites", please?

janice

Comments (16)

• micke
    17 years ago

Mexican Casserole

1/2 lb ground chuck
    1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
    1 package taco seasoning
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 bag of tortilla chips
    shredded cheddar cheese

brown chuck with chicken (add 1/2 cup water) once completly cooked drain off excess liquid.
    (I use a potato masher to mash up the chicken and chuck, sounds strange but it works!)
    mix soups, tomatos & green chilies and taco seasoning in with meat.
    Place tortilla chips in the bottom of a rectangular cake pan, pour mixture on top, then top with shredded cheese.
    bake at 350' for 30 to 45 minutes.
    *note* this is spicy, take out the tomatos and green chilis if you don't like spicy food.

• ademink
    17 years ago

Chicken Cheese Elegant

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - frozen
    2 cans cream of chicken soup concentrate
    1 can cream of celery soup concentrate
    Paprika
    Scallions
    2 bags of shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is best)

(Note: This is not an "exact" recipe, you can adjust the amounts to fit your amt. of people and it will taste fabulous!)

Put the chicken, breast-up, in a glass baking dish. Sprinkle generously w/ paprika. Chop scallions and sprinkle over the chicken breasts. Cover generously in shredded cheese. Mix together the 3 cans of soup concentrate and then spoon mixture over the top of the chicken breasts, making sure to cover everything.

Cover w/ foil and cook at 350 for 2 hours (or if you're in a hurry, jack the heat up and cook it for less time! LOL).

Serve over rice - good w/ both white rice and "rice a roni" style rice.

This has been a H-U-G-E hit w/ everyone I've ever served it to. It's super fast, easy and incredibly tasty! :)

• caliloo
    17 years ago

These are two favorites that I make a lot, especially for holiadys. They both are wonderful as sandwiches the day after when there is a lot of turkey or ham left over....

Alexa

New England Biscuits with Cranberries and Rosemary

2 cups flour
    2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    ½ cup dried cranberries
    2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
    In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Place the mixture in a large bowl. Stir in the cranberries, rosemary and buttermilk. Mix well. The dough will be sticky. Transfer to a floured work surface. Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough 10 times or until smooth. Pat into a round about ½ inch thick. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter or drinking glass, cut out biscuits and place on the prepared pan. Gather the scraps and repeat until all the dough is used. Brush the biscuit tops with the beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
    Cornmeal Biscuits with Cheddar and Chipotle

Makes about 10 (I actually got 17 from this recipe)

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
    ¾ cup (packed) scallions

1 ½ cups all purpose flour
    ½ cup yellow cornmeal
    2 Tbsp sugar
    2 ½ tsp baking powder
    ¾ tsp Kosher salt
    ½ tsp baking soda
    ½ cup chilled unsalted butter cut into ½ inch cubes
    1 ½ cups (packed) coarsely grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
    1 lg egg
    ¾ cup (about) buttermilk
    1 tbsp finely minced canned chipotle in Adobo

1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp heavy cream (glaze)

Position rack in center of the oven. Preheat to 425º F. Melt 1 tbsp butter in skillet over med heat. Add green onions and sauté 2 min to soften slightly. Remove from heat.

Blend flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in processor. Add ½ cup butter, cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese; cut in using on/off turns. Transfer flour mixture to large bowl.

Whisk 1 egg in glass measuring cup. Add enough buttermilk to egg to make 1 cup. Stir in green onion mixture. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Pour buttermilk mixture into well, mix until evenly moistened.

Turn dough onto generously floured surface. Knead gently just until dough holds together, about 10 turns. Pat out on generously floured surface to ¾ inch thick round. Using a 3 inch cutter, cut out biscuits. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet spacing 1 inch apart. Gather dough and pat into ¾ inch thick round, cut into...

• caliloo
    17 years ago

These are also a really tasty snack to munch on. Be aware, they are quite flavorful, nothing subtle about them LOL!

Robust Onion Cheese Toast

1 cup mayonnaise
    1 package cream cheese, softened
    4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
    2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    ½ teaspoon minced garlic
    ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    ½ teaspoon white pepper
    1 loaf sliced cocktail rye bread

Combine mayo, cream cheese, blue cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, pepper sauce and white pepper. Cover and chill for 2 hours to let flavors blend.

Spread 2 teaspoons mixture on each slice of bread and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to serve.

To Serve: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover baking sheet and bake 10 Â 15 minutes until toasts are puffy and slightly brown.

• hostabff
    17 years ago

Last year I made Pumpkin Whoopie Pies for a Pumpkin Carving Party and they were a huge hit. This year everyone asked if I was bringing the Whoopie Pies again -- with the recipe. Here it is:

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (not just for the kids)
    Cookie Cake Ingredients:
    2 egg yolks
    2c brown sugar
    1c vegetable oil
    2c cooked pumpkin (or 1-15 oz can)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. ginger
    1 tsp cloves
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3c flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt

Beat egg yolks, brown sugar and oil together, add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until smooth.
    Mix in dry ingredients.
    Drop heaping tablespoons of batter on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool on cookie rack. Mix filling ingredients and fill cookies like a sandwich. Makes about 18 pies.

Filling Ingredients:
    1/2c butter
    4 oz. marshmallow fluff
    8 oz. cream cheese
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 1/2c powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

Serve on pumpkin colored Hosta Leaves (just kidding).

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Since I just put one in the oven, I thought I would share this recipe I developed last year. Even though I called it "fruitcake" my friends who are devout fruitcake haters all love this and asked me to rename it so there isn't any negative association LOLOLOL!

AlexaÂs Christmas Cake
    Prep Time: 30 Minutes
    Cook Time: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
    Ready In: 6 Hours
    Yields: 1 large bundt cake

INGREDIENTS:
    2 (8 ounce) containers candied cherries
    1 (8 ounce) container candied mixed citrus peel
    1 (8 ounce) container candied pineapple
    2 cups pecan halves (or slivered almonds)
    1 cup apricot brandy
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour + 2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter
    2 cups packed brown sugar
    6 eggs
    3/4 cup molasses
    3/4 cup apple juice or cider

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a medium bowl, combine cherries, citrus peel, pineapple and nuts. Stir in apricot brandy; let stand overnight. Dredge soaked fruit with 1/2 cup flour.
    2. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Grease bundt pan. In a small bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking soda, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
    3. In a large bowl, cream butter until light. Gradually blend in brown sugar and eggs. Mix together molasses and apple juice. Beat into butter mixture alternately with flour mixture, making 4 dry and 3 liquid additions. Fold in floured fruit. Turn batter into prepared pan.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Remove from pan. Cool cake completely, then wrap in apricot brandy soaked cheesecloth. Store in an airtight container.

• FlowersForMyFarm
    17 years ago

Okay, first the disclaimer....my homeowner's policy will not allow me in the kitchen - it is rumored that I can't cook. However, I did sneak into the kitchen and make this soup this weekend for a housefull of people and they all requested the recipe so as long as I've got it typed up to email it I'll cut and paste it here too. It's super easy and quite tasty and the recipe can be doubled without goofing anything up. It's a perfect soup for winter while you're browsing the hosta catalogs and watching those little seedlings sprout.

1 pound ground beef
    1 small onion diced (1 cup)
    1 large carrot, julienned (1 cup)
    3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
    1 15 ounce can red kidney beans (with liquid)
    1 15 ounce can great northern beans (with liquid)
    1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
    1 12 ounce can V-8 juice
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 ½ teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    ½ teaspoon thyme
    ½ pound (1/2 package) digitali pasta (or any small pasta will work  I use small shells if I canÂt find the digitali)

1. Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat.
    2. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
    3. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
    4. About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 ½ to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
    5. Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5 Â 10 minutes and serve.

Serves 8

Note: Following this recipe makes a very thick soup  especially when itÂs re-heated, (more like a stew) I used an extra can (or two) of V-8 juice and a little water to it to make it a little more "soup-like."

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Best Dang Chicken Noodle Soup.

First got to play fair. The night before you want to make this, you go out to the chicken coop and either warn the hens that the one who lays the fewest eggs or warn the roosters that the the first one to spur you in the morning is going to be soup.

That being done, you make your choice in the morning and point it out to the DH, neighbor, mailman, whoever you can find to chop the dang things head off and gut it for you. If you are lucky, they'll even pluck it, but don't count on that, men don't much take to the plucking thing.

For you sissified city folks, go to the butcher or store and buy the cheapest whole chicken you can find. Get real, it's going to be soup, sure don't need to be that fancy, smancy, skinless chicken breast or corn fed yellow carcuse you pay an arm and leg for.

Now that you have the chicken, throw it in your largest soup pot, cover with water, and then go into the root cellar and find what ever is on it's way out. Get all those wilty carrots, sprouted onions, whatever, don't even bother to peal, just throw them in the water with the chicken. Then go to the spice cabinet and find all those old bottles of spices that everyone seems to give you for Christmas and you don't know what to do with them, and throw in what ever sounds good. Simmer this mess until the chicken is tender and let cool to touch.

Pull out the chicken and pick all the meat off the bones, make sure you save that wishbone, we all need a wish from time to time. Strain the broth, I like to strain it through coffee filters, throw the chicken meat in the broth.

Take a whole stick of butter. Yes I said a whole stick, butter makes the world go around, if you don't believe me, then just ask Paula Dean. She is a fine southern lady who believes in the power of butter. In that butter, saute, I know a fancy French term, I've been corupted by the food network, use them fancy terms from time to time, some diced carrots, onions and cerery. This time use the good stuff. this is for eating, not just to make the stock. Put that whole mess in the stock with the chicken meat.

Bring to a simmer and adjust seasoning, mostly just adding some salt. Once simmering, throw in some egg noodles. Now while I know it is better to make your own noodles, this is one time I do rely on the stores, after all, I have put so much work into this so far, let's not go overboard.

Cook until the noodles are done, serve, and threaten the kids that if they don't eat it, they won't be eating anything else until it is done.

LMAO, of course I am being silly here. Since I do have a large collection of cookbooks, I have often thought it would be fun to make a silly one.

• micke
    17 years ago

stained glass cookies

3c. sugar
    1c. oleo (softened)
    2tsp. vanilla
    4 eggs
    2 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. salt
    2 c. gumdrops, snipped into sm. pieces
    6 c. flour
    cream sugar and oleo, blend in vanilla and eggs. Stir in flour mixture. fold in gumdrops (please do not use 'spiced' gumdrops yuccckkk!) shape into 4 (1 1/2 in.) rolls. wrap and chill. slice into 1/4 in. slices. bake at 350' on greased cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes. remove from cookie sheet immediatly.
    makes 10 dozen.

Gingersnaps

3 c. shortening
    4c. sugar
    1c. light molasses
    4 eggs
    8c. flour
    8 tsp. soda
    4 tsp. cinnamon
    4 tsp. cloves
    4 tsp. ginger
    1 tsp. salt
    cream shortening and sugar. add molasses and eggs, beat well. add dry ingrediants, mix well. chill. roll into balls, dip in sugar, place 2 in. apart on greased cookie sheet. bake at 350' for about 15 minutes.
    makes 16 dozen

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

My in-laws beg me to make this anytime I go to their house.
    I hate measuring, as you will see from my recipes.

Spicy Olive Dip

1 jar jalepeno stuffed olives 1 block of cream cheese (softened) 1/4 cup sour cream several dashes of tabasco sauce (I prefer Frank's Red Hot) garlic (either powder or stuff in jar) onion powder or onions finely chopped Chop up a jar of jalepeno olives. Mix together cream cheese and sour cream. Add chopped olive mixture. Season with tabasco, garlic, and onion to your taste. Serve with pretzels and/or celery. My husband favorite (it's alot like Andrea's) Chicken Cordon Blue

4-6 skinless chicken breasts
    4-6 pieces of thin sliced ham
    4-6 piece of swiss cheese
    2 cans cream of either chicken or mushroom (or I mix one of each)
    1/2 cup water or milk
    1/2 can or more of stove top stuffing (chicken flavor)
    1/4 cup butter

Line baking pan with chicken breasts. Top each with a piece of ham followed by a slice of cheese. Mix soup with water or milk and pour over chicken. Melt butter and mix with stuffing. Put this mixture over the soup. Bake at 375 for 1/2 hour with foil and 1/2 hour without foil (an hour total).

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping

Potatoes:
    3 c. mashed sweet potatoes
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 stick butter
    3 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 c. milk

Topping:
    1 c. brown sugar
    1 c. chopped nuts
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 stick butter

• Combine all ingredients and pour into baking dish, lightly greased.

• Combine dry topping ingredients - melt butter on stove then add to other ingredients.

• Spread topping and bake at 350 deg. Until browned.

Spicy BBQ Shrimp

Ingredients:
    2 pounds LARGE shrimp, uncooked, pull the skin/tails off
    1 cup olive oil
    1 lemon, juiced
    2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste (I just use ketchup)
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (original called for parsley)
    dash of Dave's Insanity super-hot sauce* (be careful!)

*Add more Dave's and/or Chili Powder if you like very spicy

Directions:

• In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the shrimp.

• Let sit overnight at room temperature in a tupperware container, shaking occasionally as the ingredients settle. This should really infuse the oil with flavor.

• Dip each shrimp in the marinade to fully coat, and then put all of the shrimp and marinade in a container and put in the fridge for several hours, flipping occasionally to distribute marinade. Or, just do all the above at once.

• While preheating your BBQ grill, skewer shrimp.

• Put on the grill for a few minutes, flipping once. You should not have to brush w/marinade.

Serve over rice, pasta, or as is. This makes a yummy appetizer!

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

This is a recipe I got from a restaurant I worked at a long time ago. It's delicious. I made it for a family reunion once, and it was a huge hit.

Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Peppercorn Sauce

Marinade:
    1 c. soy sauce
    1/2 c. olive oil
    1/4 tsp. molasses
    1 tbs. fresh ginger
    1 tbs. dry mustard
    8 cloves garlic

Peppercorn Sauce:
    (makes 2 quarts)
    1 1/2 c. sauce mix (demi glaze)
    4 c. water
    1 c. red wine
    2 tbs. shallots
    3 tbs. green peppercorns
    2 tsp. fresh garlic
    1/4 c. dijon mustard

I grill the marinated pork tenderloin, but I'm sure it can be roasted in the oven as well.

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My turn!! Here's a very easy but yummy recipe! I've used it alot to take to folks who have
    needed meals in recovering from surgery, illness etc.!

I don't have a "name" for it!

Chicken parts, thighs, breasts, etc.(6-8 pieces)

Place in baking dish and cover with strips of bacon

Bake 350 for 30-45 mins.

Meanwhile, mix together 8 oz. sour cream and 1 can (undiluted) mushroom soup
    (you can double this if you want plenty of sauce over noodles etc.)

When done baking, add mushroom soup mix over the chicken pieces and bake till slightly browned.

Meanwhile, cook pasta, spiral macaroni or noodles for 4-6 servings.

Remove the chicken pieces and mix the remaining "sauce" over the noodles etc. serve with chicken
    and bacon pieces on the side!

I've also had a "version" of this that uses breast meat chopped up after baking thoroughly with the bacon strips.

You mix the same sauce but you add 1-2 Tablespoons of poppy seed, adding the chopped chicken and bacon,
    and then top with 2 sleeves of crushed Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter and then spread on top and bake
    till crackers are browned.

You can serve this over wild rice or noodles!

Also well received when served! :o)

Very tasty!

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Well, first the disclaimerÂthis is not dietetic. This chicken dish is melt in your mouth delicious, everyone I make it for loves it. Although it sounds Italian, it isnÂt. This dish is great with mashed potatoes and honey Tarragon carrots on the side.

DonnaÂs Mozzarella Chicken
    Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Oven temp: 350 degrees
    Cook Time: 1 Hour
    Servings: 6 to 8 (depending on how many chicken breasts are used)

INGREDIENTS:
    6 to 8 boneless/skinless chicken breast halves (however many fit in a 9 x 13 pan)
    Garlic powder
    Salt
    Pepper
    1 cup shredded mozzarella
    ½ cup mayonnaise (low fat mayo DOES NOT work)
    ½ cup to 1 cup plain bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9" x 13" pan (glass or metal, no difference) with non-stick cooking spray. Wash the chicken breasts, pat dry and arrange in the pan so they are all touching. Season the chicken with a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt and pepper.

In a bowl combine the mayo and shredded mozzarella, then spread on the chicken, smear all over so everything is covered. Then sprinkle the unseasoned bread crumbs over the whole thing (I use the whole cup, sometimes more).

Cover with foil and bake for one hour at 350 degrees F. I try to uncover it for the last 10 to 15 minutes (whenever I remember) so that it browns up a little.

Enjoy!!

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Here is another favorite at our house. It is adopted from 30 Minutes Meals w/ Rachel Ray. It is super easy to make, and VERY hearty. I don't eat beef, so you can substitute my ground turkey for beef if you like. Also remember I don't like to measure.

Meatball and Pasta Soup

Soup Base ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ You start with the holy trinity of soups....carrots, celery, and onions. Chopped them up and put them in a stock pot and saute with some olive oil. (You can also add garlic.) Then add a box and a half to two boxes of chicken stock (found in the soup aisle at the grocery store). Bring to a boil and then simmer. Meatballs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1/2 lb ground turkey 1/2 lb ground pork 1 egg 1/3 cup parmesan cheese 1/3 cup bread crumbs small sprinkling of nutmeg 1 tbsp of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle (if you don't have a Penzey's store or have never seen the catalog, this is the best spice EVER. Here is what is in it, in case you want to substitute: Sweet basil, Turkish oregeno, Thyme, and garlic) salt and pepper to taste Mix these all together. Form small meatballs and drop right into the pot of soup base (yes, no frying ahead of time....see told you fast and easy). Bring soup to a boil once again. Add a half cup of some kind of very small pasta, and bring the soup down to a simmer for about 10 minutes. This soup is sooo good, and one bowl will fill even my DH up!
  • lynnem
    17 years ago

Ever make chocolate chip cookies and they turn out different every time?? Sometimes mine would be puffy, other times flat...
    Finally found a recipe that comes out perfect every time. Kind of adapted it from the famous Neiman Marcus recipe, along with other hints for "making the perfect chocolate chip cookies" that I've found on the web. Melting the butter first and extra vanilla make the difference. Don't leave out the instant coffee, either.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
    1/2 cup butter, melted (NO SUBSTITUTIONS)
    1 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons vanilla extract(yes, tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee, slightly crushed
    8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips ( I usually add a 12 oz pkg)

1. Melt butter first. Cream the butter with the sugars until fluffy.
    2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract
    3. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt, mix well.
    4. Add coffee first, then gradually add flour.
    6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
    7. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
    8. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes.