Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

What is your favorite 'Heuchera' as a companion to Hosta?

Janice
17 years ago

I'd love to see what you find "irresistable" in Heuchera or Heucherella!

I know, I love My "Heuchera Can Can" and "Heucherella Sunspot", oh,

and "Heuchera Lime Rickey"!

If you have any pics. of them, I'd love to be enticed by them!

janice

Comments (19)

• megaul
    17 years ago

Janice, this picture doesn't do it justice, but I love my Peach Melba!

There were two at the nursery and the other one had many more peach colored leaves, but it was also, already in the hands of another person! Don't you hate it when that happens! LOL!

So, I bought the smaller one and hope it grows up to be just peachy!

• party_music50
    17 years ago

Silver Scrolls with a blue hosta!
    Peach Flambe or Obsidian with a bright gold hosta!
    A nice specimen of Dale's Strain or Green Spice... just because. :)

Any of the bright/deep purple or wine colored ones can set off a hosta grouping... Plum Pudding, Regina, Stormy Seas, or a *really* nice Palace Purple.

I bought Lime Ricky and Marmalade from Park's this year but they were practically DOA and I wasn't able to keep them going. :( I wanted the Lime Ricky SO bad.

I love heuchs!

• party_music50
    17 years ago

This is one of my favorite little patches... because of the *really* nice PP:

This PP was in more sun and looked just awful... all mottled and bronzy and washed out. I moved it to this full shade spot and the color just *popped*! I love it.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I love my Heucheras too.... the only ones I have recent photos of are

Caramel:
    {{gwi:897100}}

Regina:
    {{gwi:897101}}

I'll see if I can get a few more photos before they all go to sleep. I noticed yesterday tat Amathyst Mist looks awesome too....

Alexa

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I only have a few,but,so far,the one that's done the best in my new Lime Rickey. I guess that's because it's green! I also have Palace Purple,and Plum Puddin',which sorta look alike,and I have a struggling Amber Waves. I just moved it again,looking for the right spot for it. Amber Waves apparently needs a tad more sun than some. Phil

• User
    17 years ago

I had a few Heuchs -- this year I decided "to collect" (like I don't already have enough plant collections...). Snowfire is a beautiful plant but it did not bloom in light shade - moved it to sun and it was an explosion of color.
    Snowfire in bloom:

Lime Ricky was a bright spot on the corner of my front walkway and the flowers are a brilliant white:
    Lime Rickey in bloom:

I have Frosted Violet next to H. Fire and Ice and Mocha Mint next to H. Halcyon. I have an unnamed variety with the most beautiful pink flowers and a bunch of Purple Palace that always looks brown vs purple... I may not keep those....

I visited Home Depot this week and purchased a pot of 6 plants for $6.99. Seemed like a good deal. The pot included two each of Heuchera Key Lime Pie and Peach Melba, and Tiarella Iron Butterfly. Now if they will just stay alive through the winter ... the root systems looked young....

• hostared
    17 years ago

I'll chime in, Ultimate favorite "Obsidian"
    Peach Flambe, Key Lime Pie.
    Key Lime Pie holds up better in the cold weather than Lime Ricky. There are few more that are very ruffly but the names don't come to mind.
    Sun Spot is also a good one.

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

Wait a second, aren't these suppose to be the latest in plant, the ones that are supposed to be replacing hostas?

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Yeah, at the master gardener meeting they said Heucheras were more "popular" than hostas. I love both! But there are still a heck of a lot more hostas out there.

My favorites are Monet and Can Can(no picture):

But I also love Stoplight:

Chocolate Ruffles:

Cherries Jubilee and Mystic Angel:

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

ok, now I actually found one I want, Monet. Monet my favorite artist, I have a real love, a passion, a driving need, for art and Monet speaks to me as no other artist does. No matter how much I may love another artist work. I love Monet's work so much that I keep a folder of his work by my computer to look at most everyday, did my bedroom in a Monet theme, and named my best friend, my hosta dog, my standard poodle, Monet. I have just got to have a plant named after Monet. I really never did take much note of the Heuchera's other than an interesting contrast to the hostas, but if anyone can tell me where to find the one named Monet, it will be given a star spot in my gardens.

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

The best part about the Monet Heuchera is that it gets really bright red stems and flowers.

I found mine last summer at a local place and have never seen one again. I do happen to have two of them....hint hint...for the right hosta I could probably be talked out of one of them next year. LOL

Otherwise they do have them at Big Dipper Farms.
    http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Heuchera
    Have never purchased anything from them before, so can't tell you anything about their plants or service.
    Jen

• megaul
    17 years ago

I'm new to Heuchera this year, too. I tried paying more attention to my 'companion' plants this year and these seem to catch my eye. My Dale's Strain is still looking good.

And, my Can Can, I got greedy and divided it when I bought it, so it's a little behind and looks like it's about ready to say nighty-nite for the winter.

I LIKE the Heuchera, (heck, I'm still having trouble spelling it!), but I LOVE my hostas!

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, thank you one and all for all the "enticements" with word and pictures.
    I have a good start to my collection, I see. I have a good many listed but
    I do love them already--not as much as hosta, but I do love 'em!

And, Marsha--I LOVE your signatures, please keep them up! I'm envious
    of your "collection"! You should post that on the "collection" thread! :O)

janice

• goldedger
    17 years ago

Gosh I love my Heuchera's and Heucherella's - almost as much as my Hostas! But I don't have lists of them or pics like I do for my hosta.

I think Marmalade might be my favourite, but Stoplight and Amber Waves are pretty special too, as is Lime Rickey and Obsidian.

I'll have to see if I can get some pics - pretty leafy out there right now - Fallen leaves....LOL

June

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I took these photos yesterday. Crimson Curls is my favorite with Can Can in second place.

Crimson Curls

Can Can

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

I don't have any good huechera pics, but I do have a few different kinds.

Heucheras:
    Velvet Knight
    Mint Frost
    Lime Rickey
    Frosted Violet
    Amber Waves
    Purple Palace
    Marmalade
    Starry Night
    Amethyst Mist

I have one Heucherella, but can't remember if it's Stoplight or not.

I also have one Tiarella.

Marsha, Dale's Strain looks very similar to one called Mint Frost that I got a couple of years ago. I think mine has all but disappeared :-(

~Angie

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

I have several different varities of Heuchera in different areas, but I put in a couple of 'Firefly' at the edge of one hosta bed.

I also have one called Bressingham and an old one I got from my mother that I don't know the name of.

This year I also had to get one called 'Petite Pearl Fairy'
    {{gwi:897119}}
    it just sounded like such a cute one. Can't wait to see it in bloom.

I also have a Tiarella called 'Pink Skyrocket'. Next year I want to add 'Jeepers Creepers' in the hosta bed.

Janet

• User
    17 years ago

I visited Home Depot to pick up lime and checked out the plants. This time, I found Heuchera Hollywood for $4.11. It was on my wish list so I picked it up. In July I was hunting for Heuchera and the garden centers were all sold out of the "good" ones (good ones are the varieties on my wish list).

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

hi all...

here are a few of my new ones this year...

jill