Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

So, what is your experience with leaves whacked off?

Janice
17 years ago

I am still concerned about hosta with their leaves getting cut back this time of the year. Am I being overly-concerned? I know, Donna said she received some that way last year and in the following Spring, those were the only ones not to return! It seems to be a customary things for many "places" to do, and yet it seems too early, to me, around here and further south!

Any other "personal" experiences with this phenomena?

janice

Comments (14)

• poppi
    17 years ago

Hi Janice...It seems we're both on the web at the same time! Well, last year I cut the leaves off a couple of infected hosta...all the way to the ground. That was probably in September. I didn't notice any shrinkage this year. I've done that to other hosta as well in Sept, with no repercussions. I think if you were to do that earlier...say August, it might be a problem and even earlier will cause real problems. So I guess I wouldn't worry about it too much.

poppi

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Whew--okay, Poppi--I feel better! Thank you for reassuring me! I have those I got on a recent
    "shopping spree" (ahem) and I'd hate it if they don't do well!
    It was the "Celestial" and the "Royal Flush"! I hope I have the one Buff put back, but I don't
    have any way of knowing that for sure with the leaves all gone!!! Whaaa!

Say "hi" to your "hubby" for me and my hubby! I think we each have real "keepers", don't you? :o)

And, where is Dave, over here???

janice

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

yes Janice - you worry tooooooooooooooooo much!

• Janice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I knooow! And, where is ken to tell me to "buck up", they're "only hosta" for goodness sakes etc.! LOL

janice

• ademink
    17 years ago

Why is this in "conversations"? HEY, THIS IS ON-TOPIC...WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING??? LOL!!

• sassy7142
    17 years ago

ademink,
    I was thinking the same thing! This is just too funny. LOL
    Ya think this will get thrown back to the "other" side?

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I was out in the yard yesterday after it hailed and rained for two days only to notice a lot of my newer hostas were missing their leaves due to rabbits. My Wolverine is nothing but tiny little nubbers. I did notice my Collector's Banner they ate the week before is now getting a new leaf, so I can now breathe easier!

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Hi Janice,

Yes, I purchased two hostas on ebay in Sept last year, and they arrived with no leaves. I'm in zone 6, planting is never a problem at that time of the season. Looking through my spreadsheet of hostas, I purchased 29 hostas at the same time last year, every one came up this Spring except for Amazing Grace (sniff, sniff) and Grand Canyon. I believe it was because they had their leaves cut off.

Sorry, but that is too weird for me to be a coincidence.

FYI, I would suggest that you plant them in a sunnier than normal spot. I planted mine in shade and I think they just went to sleep instead of getting acclimated in their new location. The warmth of the sunnier soil would stimulate the roots to continue growing. I didn't know that last season, or I would have done that. And I suggest that you water them until frost, so the really get settled.

Donna ;o)

• User
    17 years ago

I agree that the "no leaf" thing definitely makes me uncomforable because it feels like someone is hiding something.

Recently a friend introduced me to a woman that sells field grown daylilies. My friend conveniently forgot to mention to me that the woman also sells about 500 varieties of hosta (field grown). (surprise!) We visited the last week of August looking for late blooming daylilies and 1/2 the hosta plants had no leaves. Starting last August, the woman chops off the hosta leaves and subdivides her plants. It was a shocking site, however she has done this for years and it does not seem to effect the hosta....

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Back in 2004,I ordered online from Wade Gardens,and one of the plants they sent me was White Christmas. It had some broken-off leaves,which they put in the box they shipped it in. The plant never survived. It was a pathetic plant to start with,and this is why I will never order online again. Just MHO HF

• diannp
    17 years ago

Hosta freak, then you are not ordering from the right on-line places. I got plants from Hallsons, Bridgewood Gardens, and Foxfire Gardens this year and they were fantastic plants. Great root systems, big healthy plants, I couldn't have been happier!

Diann

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Phil, Naylor Creek and White Oak Nursery are two others that send phenomenal plants. I highly recommend them to you. I've learned that the earlier in the season you purchase the better off you are. I don't buy hostas online after August 15th. Too risky. Although on the upside, if you wait until after August you'll know if the plants have nematodes or not. I bought a bunch of Lakeside hostas and when I got them, LS Leprechaun had nematodes. I treated it and we'll see how he does next season.

Donna

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Yes Phil - I highly agree about White Oak. Carry about 200+ hosta - some old, some new. Great prices. I've never ordered from Hallsons but have only heard high praise.

I loved the Gilt by Association I got from the Naylors.

• anitamo
    17 years ago

Hallsons is great for hostas. They always send a bonus, and shipping is a flat 8.95. Great prices, healthy roots, nice leaves.