Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

Oh how I love my toad lilies!

lavendargrrl
17 years ago

I came home to find lots of them in bloom. Probably my 2nd favorite plant behind hostas, and also a very nice companion.

Tricyrtis hirta 'Lightning Strike':

{{gwi:897240}}

Tricyrtis ishiiana (this one was pretty much done blooming, but I missed it in its glory):

{{gwi:897242}}

Tricyrtis formosana 'Emperor':

{{gwi:897244}}
{{gwi:897247}}

Tricyrtis hirta 'Miyazaki' (I may have this ID wrong):

{{gwi:897249}}

Tricyrtis 'Imperial Banner' PPAF, PVR:

{{gwi:897251}}

I have some that aren't blooming currently also.

Tricyrtis hirta 'Raspberry Mousse'

Tricyrtis hirta 'Moonlight'

Tricyrtis formosana 'Gilt Edge'

Tricyrtis affinis ÂLunar LandingÂ

Tricyrtis affinis 'Key Lime Pie'

Tricyrtis formosana 'Samurai' - I just got this one for free from the JC Raulston Arboretum plant giveaway last weekend!! It is quite lovely. It was blooming when I got it, but I did not have time to snap a pic before I had to leave town again.

Anyone else into toad lilies?

~Angie

Comments (18)

• goldedger
    17 years ago

I love them too Angie.......I didn't realize there were so many varieties. I had to check out my garden index to find the tag for mine - I have two clumps of Tricyrtis 'Shirohotogisu' - arching rows of ornate white flowers! I look forward to them blooming each season (I get so little flowers in my shady garden) Mine start flowering in Sept., they're just about done now. Sorry no pics. :(

Your pics are lovely though, love the variegated leaf on 'Imperial Banner'.

June

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi June,

I had to look up your Tricyrtis 'Shirohotogisu', and it's a beauty as well! There are lots of toad lilies, but I don't see a lot of them in nurseries. I've gotten most of mine at Plant Delights, and a couple from other sources.

I found a few more pictures....

Tricyrtis formosana 'Gilt Edge':
    {{gwi:897253}}

Tricyrtis 'White Towers':
    {{gwi:897255}}

Tricyrtis affinis 'Lunar Landing':
    {{gwi:897256}}

Tricyrtis hirta 'Raspberry Mousse':
    {{gwi:897258}}

Tricyrtis hirta 'Moonlight':
    {{gwi:897260}}

Tricyrtis formosana 'Samurai':
    http://www.angielavendar.com/images/10_15/tricyrtis_samarui.jpg">;

~Angie

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tricyrtis formosana 'Samurai':
    {{gwi:897263}}

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Beauties all!

I *need* to add some to my gardens and you have all give me inspiration!

Thanks for posting the great photos

Alexa

• hostabff
    17 years ago

Angie, your Toad Lilies are adorable. This is a plant I have never considered and did not know what I was missing. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Last year I planted some for the first time. I got them as bare root corms from Brecks.
    They are called Amethystina Toad Lily
    {{gwi:897265}}

{{gwi:897268}}

I'm really happy with how they've grown and the flowers on them are so cute! I would definitely recommend them.

Janet

• ademink
    17 years ago

I love my toad lilies also. They are blooming like mad right now, even after 3 30 degree nights!!!

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

Those toad lilies are adorable. How hardy are they? I see your are all in a warmer climate than I am. Are they a bulb or a plant?

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Most of them say they are hardy in zones 4-7 or 4-8. There are a few that are only hardy in 5-8 or 6-9.

Search on the Plant Delights Web site for "tricyrtis". They have a bunch of them.

It is a plant - not a bulb.

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Here are some like mine from Breck's that are listed as hardy in zones 3-9.
    Mine came as bare root corms and they grew really fast and bloomed the first year.
    They are adorable little flowers!

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Toad Lily

• hostarox
    17 years ago

I like them, too! I used to have a few of them, but only one is out there now. I fear one got "pulled" by some "helpers" My only wish was bigger flowers with these guys. They are so tiny and petite, they get overlooked.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hostarox -

Most Tricyrtis flowers are small, but some of them have larger-than-usual flowers. Plus, when the plants mature, they get covered up in flowers. Especially the ones that get blooms in the leaf axils. I think it's important to plant toad lilies somewhere that they'll get noticed because you won't notice them from a long distance.

• ademink
    17 years ago

Mine are kind of stuck back out of the way also. I tend to forget them until I go back to that part of the garden and then it's like "WOW"! I love all of the velvety dots...so pretty!

• daisy_me
    17 years ago

There is a thread on the Perennials forum right now about 'Raspberry Mousse' possibly being virused. Thought you may want to check it out...

• papou
    17 years ago

Angie, Remember the Toad lilies you gave me last April? They grew well in full sun...hope I can dig up a pic ....Now you really have created some new interest with all those beautiful different varieties....
    I will have to find out eventually what type I have....

Papou

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The one I have labeled in my pics above as Tricyrtis formosana 'Emperor' is wrong. That is actually Tricyrtis 'Sinonome'.

Papou, I believe the one I gave you is either Tricyrtis 'Sinonome':
    {{gwi:897244}}

or
    Tricyrtis hirta 'Miyazaki':
    {{gwi:897249}}

If I gave you more than one, I might have also given you Tricyrtis hirta 'Lightning Strike'.

~Angie

• bluepoppy
    17 years ago

These plants are beautiful! I have one that looks a lot like your Lightening Strike. I love it because it blooms late.

If anyone has pets that chew on plants though, you might be cautious with toad lilies. I've seen them on some poisonous lists - same with FoxGloves (which I also adore).

• tsneal
    17 years ago

Wow Angie...just gorgeous!!!

Stephanie