Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

You've GOT to be kidding! Are we really ready for this?

Janice
14 years ago

Okay, no matter how you feel about immigration, this has to be alarming to any sane person!

Am I the only one who sees more than a few problems with this Amnesty proposal?

Here is a link that might be useful: This from CNN news!

Comments (6)

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

I agree with you HayJ. Who is promoting this ? We need to contact our congressmen.

Connie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Hmmm...my definition of sane does not include taking Lou Dobbs' words at face value. I will be checking into the accusations he makes, but I do know the last one about tuition for illegal aliens (assistance not available to citizens, he says) is untrue. Check it out by searching tuition for illegal aliens at Snopes.com. Knowing that statement of his (among others he has made in the past) is untrue, I am inclined to discount/question the rest of his diatribe until I find the evidence proving it-which I will look for and come back if I find it.

Illegal immigration is a problem and has been for years. Reagan signed an amnesty bill to make illegals living here legal and which also tightened the borders-illegal immigration actually increased. Bush favored giving illegals a path to citizenship. No one has come up with a perfect answer.

Nonetheless, I think it is always good to write your representative and senators. I think we would be wiser if we all do our research rather than listening to the talking heads and demagogues. When enough people are vocal in a reasonable, respectful way about an issue, the politicians tend to listen-lots of votes out there! I am not sure the language used by Sen. Boehner and repeated (albeit as "expletive deleted" but with the no doubt as to what the word was due to the graphic) by Dobbs elevates the debate.

okay, did a quick search and came up with the following. Seems no one thinks immigration reform will be passed this year and so far, can't find any bill with details so it must still be in committee. I'll keep looking.
    From the Library of Congress-"Senate Bill 9's stated purpose is to strengthen the U.S. economy, provide for additional border protection and security, add additional employment enforcement and reform and "rationalize" existing avenues for legal immigration. It simply states that legislation should be enacted to achieve these purposes. This bill does not set forth the details as to how these tasks will be accomplished. The bill does acknowledge the heritage of the United States as a nation of immigrants. "
    From the Washington Times website (note: not the Washington Post, but the more conservative paper in the city): "The number of illegal immigrants apprehended by immigration authorities is down from 1.8 million in 2000 to 556,041 in fiscal 2009, which ended Sept. 30, and demography experts say the number of illegal immigrants remaining in the U.S. has actually begun to fall." Also from the Times: "But when it comes to actual votes in Congress, there hasn't been a good test for some years, and earlier this year White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the "votes aren't there right now" to pass a broad legalization bill."

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Hmmm...my definition of sane does not include taking Lou Dobbs' words at face value. I will be checking into the accusations he makes, but I do know the last one about tuition for illegal aliens (assistance not available to citizens, he says) is untrue. Check it out by searching tuition for illegal aliens at Snopes.com. Knowing that statement of his (among others he has made in the past) is untrue, I am inclined to discount/question the rest of his diatribe until I find the evidence proving it-which I will look for and come back if I find it.

Illegal immigration is a problem and has been for years. Reagan signed an amnesty bill to make illegals living here legal and which also tightened the borders-illegal immigration actually increased. Bush favored giving illegals a path to citizenship. No one has come up with a perfect answer.

Nonetheless, I think it is always good to write your representative and senators. I think we would be wiser if we all do our research rather than listening to the talking heads and demagogues. When enough people are vocal in a reasonable, respectful way about an issue, the politicians tend to listen-lots of votes out there! I am not sure the language used by Sen. Boehner and repeated (albeit as "expletive deleted" but with the no doubt as to what the word was due to the graphic) by Dobbs elevates the debate.

okay, did a quick search and came up with the following. Seems no one thinks immigration reform will be passed this year and so far, can't find any bill with details so it must still be in committee. I'll keep looking.
    From the Library of Congress-"Senate Bill 9's stated purpose is to strengthen the U.S. economy, provide for additional border protection and security, add additional employment enforcement and reform and "rationalize" existing avenues for legal immigration. It simply states that legislation should be enacted to achieve these purposes. This bill does not set forth the details as to how these tasks will be accomplished. The bill does acknowledge the heritage of the United States as a nation of immigrants. "
    From the Washington Times website (note: not the Washington Post, but the more conservative paper in the city): "The number of illegal immigrants apprehended by immigration authorities is down from 1.8 million in 2000 to 556,041 in fiscal 2009, which ended Sept. 30, and demography experts say the number of illegal immigrants remaining in the U.S. has actually begun to fall." Also from the Times: "But when it comes to actual votes in Congress, there hasn't been a good test for some years, and earlier this year White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the "votes aren't there right now" to pass a broad legalization bill."

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

oops, sorry not sure how I double posted!

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, double posting is okay when you've put as much work into your posting as you did, Cyn!!!

I appreciate your investigative work! :o) I am most concerned about folks who are for anything
    that fits into their box without looking around outside of it for things that can get by without anyone's
    notice, if we're not looking!

Frankly, I have little trust in anyone in government anymore, to really care about the future
    of our nation. I feel, that most polititicians are out for themselves in the 'moments' of their
    individual lives and care little what we are doing for the future of our children, and their children!
    There are a few exceptions, but pitifully few!!

I'm sick of them all!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I agree!