Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Girlie talk! :o)

Janice
15 years ago

I've always been a huge fan of Estee Lauder make-up bases! I've used the 'Double-wear' product for probably

15 years but I recently purchased a starter kit of the 'Bare Minerals' product line and I'm impressed!

It is a very sheer powdery compound that allows you to control the coverage. It looks very natural

and I think I may make the permanent switch to it!

I just thought I'd give a plug for the product. I would not purchase it from the television spot,

because you then have to sign up for their automatic mailing of more of it and I prefer to make up

my own mind as to when and if. I want more. Thankfully, we have a 'Sephora' store very near to us and I can

purchase what ever I want there with no other obligation to receive more if I choose not to!

Oh, and you can order from the Sephora online site without being obliged to an automatic re-supply, as well!

The .9 oz base color is $25, and the 'Veil' (finishing powder) is $19. I would not purchase much else,

myself--any blush and eye shadows will work with their products!

Oh, and they also have applications brushes, that are nice, too! But, rather than pay $28 for just one, I got

the $60 starter kit, that includes three brushes and four of their basic products in smaller sizes (.03 oz)

than what you buy individually! I chose MEDIUM skin tone for my kit and it was perfect and I think

could work on even lighter skin tones, as well!

Just so you know--I have no vested interest in pushing this product beyond just wanting to give us gals

a 'heads-up' about something I've been curious about for a long time, and just recently have complimented

some of my friends on how nice their complexions are looking, only to find out they are using 'Bare Minerals' now!!

I like that the finish is smoother and consistent and yet so 'natural' looking when applied!

So, do you have any 'Girlie' products you're very happy to recommend to us 'Gals'?

Comments (7)

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi Janice,
    I only wear eye make up and a little lipstick, if i can find the right color.
    But now that i have let my hair "GO NATURAL",i find i am with out color,so, i did buy an organic product two weeks ago,but i discovered my "wrinkles" or "Charter Lines" if you will,lol-show up to much.:0(
    I don't really have a lot of wrinkles,but enough!
    I have not worn the make up,it sits in it,s container,just waiting to be used.
    Can you help Me?
    Carol

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah Carol--I can help--I think! 'Less is more'! You might try applying the foundation
    with a moistened makeup sponge--that is, if it's a liguid foundation you're talking about!

I find that with the Bare Minerals powdery base, you can avoid the 'charter lines'!
    I stay away from the outside corners of my eyes to avoid highlighting the 'laugh lines' that I
    have accumulated in that area--though not so awful many-- any are too much!

Hmm, on second thought, maybe the term for those crinkles around the eyes is 'crows feet'
    instead! Gak!! I like the idea of them being 'laugh lines' better!!!!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Well, actually, it was just a blush,powder.
    I know i would mot like the feel of liquid make up,not being used to it and all.
    Maybe some kind of moisture first,them the blush?
    Carol

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmm-moisture always helps the look of dry areas! NOTHING will prevent the obvious effects of 'maturing'!
    The best we can hope for is to temporarily improve the appearance of our skin and moisture does help.

A trick I've used in the past, is to really, really clean and wet my face, and follow with a very light coating of
    Petroleum Jelly! Apply it, wait 15 mins. and tissue off any residual jelly! The real benefit of any moisturizer is
    it's ability to hold in the water/moisture provided. The only thing that our skin will efficiently absorb is water!
    So, the PJ helps prevent it from evaporating!

The reason eye-creams seem to improve the look around the eyes, is that there is an ingredient that slightly
    irritates the skin so that it will uptake the moisture more readily! It used to be 'humectin', as I recall!
    I don't know about what is used these days--it's been a long time since I was a makeup-artist doing 'my thing' for
    the various cosmetic lines, depending on the promotions of the week! :o)

I realized that the base ingredient for the old Mary Kay moisturizer was Petroleum Jelly, along with what I suspected
    was glycerin. That's how I figured out that it would really be good to use to hold in the moisture/water! And it does!

And, it works really well on hands and feet overnight! An old remedy is to wash your hands and feet well with warm
    water and then apply a generous lather of the PJ (while hands and feet are dripping with the water) and put sweat
    socks on your feet (and hands if you don't have any cotton gloves) and go to bed! In the morning you will be
    amazed at the results and especially if your hands are chapped. They will be almost completely healed overnight!!

Try it--and let me know what you think!! :o)

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

AND, if you don't have any PJ (not peanut butter and jelly) you can use olive oil,
    instead, for the 'experiment' offered in my previous post! :o)

• spencersmom
    15 years ago

Hmmm.. I need to try that PJ idea. I am constantly bare foot (except at work, although don't peek under my desk) and my feet are trashed. I paint my toes so you don't notice the rest of the foot. I pumice several times a week and have the PedEgg (which works but in my case I would have carpal tunnel by the time I got to soft skin) but PJ is a good thought. Does it come out of the socks ok?

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The PJ doesn't really transfer to the socks!! You just put a good amount on--slather it on after your shower
    or bath--rub it in pretty well and put the sweat socks on right away and you'll see some very positive results
    by morning.

If you're worried about the socks, just designate a pair to the task, but I think you'll find it won't
    be a problem!! :o) Let us know what you think, okay??

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH