Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Ever had a heart cath and angioplasty or stint put in?

Janice
15 years ago

Boy, you know you're 'over a hill' when you have to ask such a question! So, if you have,

did it work well for you?

Guess what I'm up for next week?

Comments (34)

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Oh Janice, I'm sorry. Please don't worry too much. A good friend of mine has had it done three times (she was a smoker until just a few months before this last one). The test, which may be what you've already had?, was where they put the dye in the vein. She said the worst part of that was laying on the table. I don't think she had any trouble after any of the 3 proceedures and went home the same day. The last one was a couple months ago and hopefully it will be the last since she's determined never to smoke again. I guess there's something in cigarettes that make the blockages form and stick to the inside of the veins (or arteries?). Be sure and keep us informed how you're doing.

If you have any particular questions, write me and I'll call her.

Myrle

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Myrle! I'm okay with doing the test but hopeful it will not require a stent (corrected spelling)!
    I know the newer ones seem to be better (as per my Cardiologist) but I prefer not having any artificial
    applications to my heart if not warranted! :o)

I had a CT Coronary Angiogram, which takes a 64-slice pic. of the heart in one minute and it resulted
    in everything is good with no calicfication, no plaque and all arteries open except one side 'limb' of the
    mid-line vein! The test indicated a possible stenosis of 50-70% that may even be "artifactual" (as noted
    in the report) or a 'blip' in the pic. due to an extra heart beat or even techinician error but in any case,
    after paying (out of pocket) $750 I still wind up doing the test that is more invasive, afterall! At least this
    test is covered by insurance!

I am just wondering, if 'down the road' the experience is good with having a non-flexible application
    to a vein being still a good thing!

If there truly is a stenosis caused by a bacterial infection, etc. (since I have no plaque build up) then it is
    a potential 'time bomb' to leave it *as is*!

Not one to worry--just one to want all the facts before I do anything--if possible! :o)

• butch_ragland
    15 years ago

I remember well riding in the ambulance after I regaining consciousness asking the attendant what was going on. "You are having a significant coronary event".

There I was on the gurney having a heart attack thinking "wonder what is going to happen since I don't have any insurance" because of apnea.

Seven years later I'm still making payments, BIG BUTT I'm alive to make them!

I had symptoms, would have seen a doctor sooner than my "significant event" if I had insurance. Not to worry, if you have a heart attack the emergency room will not turn you away even though you couldn't afford proper care prior to the "significant event".

My stint went well hope yours does also!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Butch,What does that mean, you could not get insurance because you have apnea?
    Carol

Janice, i sent you an e mail

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your comments, Butch and your email Carol! :o)

I'm very thankful, my heart appears to be in pretty good shape, except for maybe this one little
    thing--and hopefully that can be taken care of without a 'hitch'--and I can get back to being my
    'old (hard working) self' again!

• jel48
    15 years ago

I don't have anything to add medically because I haven't had any procedures like that or even know anyone who has. Well, maybe I do but if so I don't know them well enough to know that's what they had done. Anyway, Janice I just wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you next week and saying some prayers that everything goes well and you are home fast better then ever.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Janice,so sorry to hear about your potential problems! I do know a few people who had the procedure,and they are still"with us",but they were much older than you. I know that sounds bad,but,at my age,more and more of our friends are having troubles. My Dad lived to be 78,and my Mother 83,and none of them had any of those type operations,and they were both smokers. My one brother-in-law had a bypass operation in his 50's,and recently had a stroke,and he is still in his 50's,but he doesn't take good care of himself,as he is really overweight,and never exercises. I think you will do OK,as you are an energetic positive person,from what I have learned about you when we met this year. I didn't tell you all about another fact when I had my Gallbladder operation this year. I was supposed to have my operation on a Monday morning,and was prepped and in the operating room,when they noticed my EKG looked abnormal. So,they cancelled the operation,and put me in the ICU for a day and a half,where they did all kinds of tests,and finally,my regular Dr. and a cardiologist got together,and my doctor told him that my EKG's always looked that way,so I had the operation on Wednesday,and everything is still going well. The point of me telling you all this is,none of us are necessarily "normal",when it comes to tests. Hope everything turns out well for you,in your upcoming tests. 70 years young and still going strong! Phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Joyce! I appreciate your thoughts and prayers!!

And, Phil--thank you, too! You and I must be the ones to jinx things for everyone!
    I went today, to get my pre-op's and when I went for the chest x-ray, it stopped working
    after the first shot! They had to shut it down and restart it three times before it could get
    working again, and this hospital has been open less than 4 months now! LOL

When they went for a vein to put the dye into, they couldn't find one large enough!
    They called in a Care-flight nurse to try and she almost gave up but they settled on a size
    smaller catheter than they wanted! This was for the CT Coronary Angiogram, last Tuesday!

Now--what I'm REALLY more concerned about, is the 8 MM noncalcified pulmonary nodule in the lingula area
    of my left lung, found incidentally during that CT! It wasn't there in 2000, so I'm actually more concerned
    about it than the heart thing!

Sigh! I guess my 50,000 mile warranty has run out, and I failed to get the extended warranty when
    it was offered!! LOL

• butch_ragland
    15 years ago

"Butch,What does that mean, you could not get insurance because you have apnea?"
    Carol

Apnea leads to strokes and heart trouble so the insurance companies made a good decision for their bottom line to not insure me!

• butch_ragland
    15 years ago

Hey_J

PS, good to hear things went well for you!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Oh no Janice,
    Or,should we say, good thing you are having testing done,there are things they can give you to disolve the nodule i think,what did the doctor say?
    Carol

Butch, that stinks,we need new health care.Hope you are doing well.
    Carol

• butch_ragland
    15 years ago

Butch, that stinks,we need new health care.Hope you are doing well.
    Carol

Tks Carol, I am doing well but you don't want to start the healthcare question here again!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Butch,
    OH,ok,i was just making a statement,not opening up a new thread,thank you though.

I am glad you are doing ok, it is as it should be then.
    Carol

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay--tomorrow morning is the day! They'll either find there really was no reason to be concerned about
    the 'artifact' on the CT, or they'll angioplasty the stenosis and it'll stay widened or they'll ultimately place
    a stent in, permanently.

If they do not put the stent in, I'll be in the hospital for 6 more hours beyond the procedure, for observation.
    If they put the stent in, I'll be in overnight!

I have no bad feelings about it, going in! Just prefer not to have the stent if possible!
    Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers! I'll see you on the other side of this
    *procedure*, Lord willing! :o)

• yardmom
    15 years ago

I hope all went well, Janice! Thinking of you! Post when you can.

• jel48
    15 years ago

Thinking of you, Janice! I sure hope everything went well yesterday! There are lots of prayers for you. I just stopped right in the middle of this post and sent a small one up for you and for Papou too. I was sure you wouldn't mind me doubling up :-) We'll be waiting for your post saying that all is well.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Good morning Janice,
    How did every thing go for you yesterday?
    Waiting to hear from you and praying it went well.
    Carol

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did great! It was so apparent I was being prayed for, in so many ways and nothing was intolerable
    for me to endure through the procedure or anything leading up to it! I did have to go without my
    morning cup of coffee, which became 'telling' by around 11:00 a.m. but a small thing to have to deal
    with on the whole scheme of things! LOL

The Cardiologist says I have a VERY healthy heart, and the thing that caused confusion was the
    unique structure of my midline artery, which branched out much higher than most people's and
    gave the impression of a stenosis and blockage on the scan!

So, now, he has referred me to a Pulmonologist, he has faith in, and we will tackle the granuloma
    nodule and the other possible causes for my decline demonstrated by significant fatigue and other
    breathing issues!

Thank you for your concerns and prayers--they were very evident to me and others!

• jel48
    15 years ago

Janice, that is just great! I'm so glad to hear everything went well for you. You still have our prayers and I bet you will get through everything with the Pulmonologist just fine.

• chevy57red
    15 years ago

Janice,
    Glad that things went well for you. You will do just fine with whatever they decide to do!
    Medicine has gotten to be so precise now.
    I have P.A.D. (peripheral arterial disease)and I do have a stint. It was placed just below the split in the artery to my left leg.
    That was 5 years ago now and have had no problems since.

My thoughts are with you!!

Sheila

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi Janice,
    So nice to see that every thing is going well for you,one less worry i am sure,now,on for the next test eh? We are all pulling for you,and hoping things continue to go well.
    Keep us posted, when is your next test?
    Carol

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

I'm glad to hear everythng went well and that you have your priorities in order - NO COFFEE - YIKES!!! That's exactly what I was worried about when I once had to go under an anastethic (sp?) for my shoulder. Myrle

• shade_tolerant
    15 years ago

Oh my Janice, so sorry to hear all you are going through. Sounds like things are improving now. Hopefully you're taking it easy, sending prayers your way!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You all are so nice!! Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and your prayers, again!!!
    Good to hear from you, Dorothy, and Sheila and Eileen, too! Haven't seen any of you posting in a while
    and I'm glad to see you're still checking in on us on the forum!! :o)

Yep, McT--the coffee-deprivation was the worst part! LOL You had shoulder surgery, too? I had surgery
    on my left one (a few years back) because it became frozen! The right one, I fell and tore the labrum, but
    thank the Lord, I was able to forestall the surgery till the 'rider' on my policy was up, and then,
    I didn't need it at all!!! How about that!!

Carol, I'm scheduled to see the Pulmonologist on the 26th of this month (day before Thanksgiving)!
    I suspect, he will opt to 'watch' the nodule for a few months and do another CT then and see
    if it is growing! I would prefer they biopsy it right now, (of course) but having researched that
    possibility, it is not a procedure without substantial risks so I'm sure they will proceed with
    caution and take the less invasive approach first!

Again, good to hear from you all! You've made me smile today, despite a terrible night of stomach
    pain and continuing into today, but not nearly as painful. I suspect I picked up a 'bug' in the hospital!
    This is the worst of the whole experience--the belly-ache! :o/

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Gee,Janice,glad to hear the good news! I told you none of us are considered"normal",so I guess that proves it! I guess I should avoid CT scans in the future,as I've never had one,but my last stint in the hospital,they did a lot of other tests. Isn't that the way of doctors,though? I think they have to reach a "dollar ammount",before they say you're alright! LOl! Seriously,they always err of the side of caution. Hope your future tests come out OK,also,and we'll be praying for you. Phil

• hostasformez4
    15 years ago

Just finished reading that everything came out well for you Janice. Good news for you!!!

Connie

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Phil, for your comments (made me smile) and your promised prayers!
    I am *uniquely made* in many ways!!:o)

Say 'hi' to Diane for me! Would love some pics. of her stained glass pieces, sometime!

Good to hear from you, too, Connie!!! Thank you!!

Janice

• tsbccowboy
    15 years ago

Janice,

Hoping all your tests come out much better than mine did in high school!

Prayers from Minnesota,
    Cowboy

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL 'Tabasco'! That's a good one--you and me both! I'm thinking everything will prove to be fine,
    and I REALLY do appreciate all the prayers from you and Minnesota! ;o)

Janice

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Cowboy--got the MRI results today---"nothing there" were the nurse's words!!

Now 'the family' can have a wonderful Christmas and so can I--cause
    it was as I had thought!!! I was so 'at peace' about it all--I was so
    convinced it would be okay! I just wanted to be able to assure (with
    good test results) our one daughter, especially--who is VERY pregnant
    and was so very upset at the potential outcome of these tests!

Thank you (and others) for your prayers--I know they were contributory
    to us getting the results so fast! :)

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Great news Janice! Have a wonderful Christmas with your family. Myrle

• tsbccowboy
    15 years ago

Hey_J,

"Nothing there" has never sounded so good!

May everyone have a blessed Christmas,
    tsbccowboy

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, McT and John! Merry Christmas to you both, as well!!! : )

• toymr2mk2
    15 years ago

Janice,
    Just reading through some of the forum and saw this thread. So glad to hear that all is well with you. You and your family truly do have much to be thankful for. Now you all can go and celebrate the holidays knowing that you are in good health! Take care and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Art