Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Okay--what are you serving for Thanksgiving?

Janice
16 years ago

---besides Turkey, {{gwi:898013}}I mean???? ;o)

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

anything but turkey.. or my turkey hating wife will kill me ... go figure.. ken

PS: and i don't like it well enough to argue about it ...

PPS: i mean really .... a 20 pound bird for god's sake.. i can handle one meal . .... i might even enjoy ONE sandwich .. but what in god's name am i supposed to do with the other 18 pounds .. i mean really .. who cursed us with this ugly .. stupid bird anyway ... and of all our traditions.. why do we have to continue this one ... did you know.. they have been known to drown in rainstorms.. because they look up to see what is hitting them in the head.. and they drown ... do you really think we ought to be eating retarded animals???? enough already?? ... probably ... rotfl .....

PPPS: if that rant doesn't generate some replies.. i declare GW dead .. lol ...

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, ken! I'd heard that about them drowning in the rain before, myself!
    I like turkey alright--at least for one meal a year and maybe one pot of soup
    made from the carcass and whatever else remains! But, not more than that!

I hope you're right about your 'rant'! We aren't dead, yet--are we???

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Love turkey, the dark meat is the best in my opinion.

I am taking just part of the meal to my younger brother and his wife's house. I'm making a wonderful spinach and strawberry salad and am taking 3 impossible pumpkin pies as well as cool whip as my share of the food.

When we host we make the meat and potatoes and everyone else brings dishes to pass. I am from a large family and I have had as many as 32 come for dinner. They are spread all over both levels of our home!!!

It is really great fun to get together with family. We do this 3 times a year, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a family picnic in August.

Connie

• jel48
    16 years ago

I like turkey :-) And I like the turkey leftovers for about 3-4 days!

That said, don't know what I'm going to be doing for Thanksgiving. My daughter and son in law are a 10 hour drive away and she works in retail, so you know it won't be worth driving there (Tulsa) 'cause I'd only see her the one day. My son and daughter in law are here in town, but they have me, my son's dad (ex-husband) and my daughter in law's family to divide time between. I can't get too greedy. I guess I'll check in with them one more time, and if no one has snagged them for the holiday yet, I might make a try for it ;-) Although, now that I'm thinking about it so hard, I remember having them last year, so it's really not my turn :-(

If I were making Thanksgiving dinner for someone (even just one or two people), I'd be making a turkey, mashed potatos and gravy, cranberry salad, a green bean casserole, and probably another veggie, along with pumpkin pie and maybe other stuff as well. I'm big on holiday tradition. I love it!

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Joyce! Thanks for poppin' in and posting on this thread! I hope you find a way to get together with your family!!

We never have our Thanksgiving meal on Thanksgiving Day! We made it a tradition, several years ago, to let the daughters be with their hubby's family for *the Day* and I have it on the following day, Friday! This year, we are even moving it to the Saturday before *the Day* because oldest daughter and hubby will be going to Cirque de Soliel on Friday and we're going to see 'Mama Mia' at our local performing arts center on Saturday after *the Day*!

It works for us--it's much more important to be together, whatever *day* we can make it happen than having it have to be on the official *Day*!

Oh, and then I get to have them all Christmas Eve, which has always been our family tradition to celebrate the *Eve* rather than the *Day*!

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

We have Thanksgiving on the day but are very flexible with Christmas. We usually have it as close to the day as possible but on the weekend before or after as that means more of us can be there. It works for us.

Connie

• micke
    16 years ago

Ours is always a nightmare, lol! DH's family like to hog the *Day* for themselves, mom usually worked around this and has it on Friday, but DH actually got ticked at the arrangement said it wasn't fair for my mom, but now with our work schedules being what they are if he works on the Day I take the kids to moms, if he has it off, we have it at home with just us, then we go to mom's the next and save his family for a day on the weekend (Or vice versa) In the beginning we tried to get both families in but it was a horrible driving to moms eating there then having to drive to his moms and *trying* to eat there or vice versa (Christmas is just as lovely)
    When we get our house with a bigger dining area I am going to have it at my house and my mother and his are just going to have to get along!

But regardless I always buy a bird and fix it at some point (I have a ton of dishes for leftover turkey)
    baked bird is my most favoritest, if I can fit two in my freezer (and have) I will, I am not much on red meat I prefer birdies (and yes they drown, and yes I have seen it 3 1/2 years working a turkey farm) I say I would rather eat a retarded animal then a smart one, maybe they are not aware of their impending demise, but have you ever looked into the eyes of a steer or heifer? They know. Lol:)

with the Turkey,I always fix chicken and noodles (with homeade amish noodles) cornbread stuffing, homeade rolls, mashed taters w/gravy, baked beans, frozen corn with some butter, sweet potato casserole, cranberry dressing, Pecan pie and Pumpkin pie
    sometimes various other things like mac and cheese casserole or broccoli and cheese :)

• hostarox
    16 years ago

I do the Thanksgiving dinner here every year. This year is my 27th. I've had as many as 30+ people over. This year I think there's going to be around 18, give or take. The menu is different every year, but I always make a turkey.
    This year it's Turkey, sage-sausage dressing, mashed potatoes (the yummy ones with cream cheese and sour cream mixed in) and gravy, Green bean casserole (this one is different, it's actually better than the traditional one)
    frozen corn, 7-layer salad, relishes, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, and 3 desserts: brownie delight, pumpkin pie, and banana cream pie.
    Good thing I like to cook! :-))

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Rox--where did you get your better green bean casserole recipe? I've found one on the 'Good Eats' site
    that is named just that 'Better Green Bean Casserole', that I'm thinking about trying. I've never been a huge fan
    of the original one--so am thinking I might like it better!

Have you served it before?

• hostarox
    16 years ago

Janice, I got the recipe from a co-worker that got it from a woman who brought it to a funeral--of all things. The woman had left the bowl behind when she left so my friend held her bowl hostage and told her she couldn't have it back until she gave her the recipe! lol!
    Yes, I have made it twice before. it makes alot.
    Here goes: 6-7 cans of green beans, drained. put them in a mixing bowl with 2 jars of alfredo sauce and a big can of fried onions. mix well. put half of the mixture in a big oven safe bowl and sprinkle with a half pound of shredded swiss cheese. Put the other half of the bean mixture on top and bake for 35 min. at 350. remove from oven and put a small can of fried onions on top. bake 5 more min.
    It's really good. I'll probably never make the original recipe again now that I have this one.

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yum, Rox-that does sound better than the original and easy!! I'm going to have to try it! I might go with yours this Thanksgiving
    and give the other one I found for another day! But--here's the one I found:

Best Ever Green Bean Casserole
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2007

For the topping:
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs (found at Asian specialty stores & some very large grocery stores)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Nonstick cooking spray
    For beans and sauce:
    2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed and halved
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    12 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 cup half-and-half

-Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
    -Combine the onions, flour, panko and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
    -Coat a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and evenly spread the onions on the pan.
    -Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
    -Toss the onions 2 to 3 times during cooking.
    -Once done, remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use.
    -Turn the oven down to 400 degrees F.
    -While the onions are cooking, prepare the beans.
    -Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil in an 8-quart saucepan.
    -Add the beans and blanch for 5 minutes.
    -Drain in a colander and immediately plunge the beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
    -Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat.
    -Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid,
    approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
    -Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
    -Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine. -Cook for 1 minute.
    -Add the broth and simmer for 1 minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the half-and-half.
    -Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
    -Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 of the onions and all of the green beans.
    -Top with the remaining onions.
    -Place into the oven and bake until bubbly, approximately 15 minutes.
    -Remove and serve immediately.

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

On Thanksgiving we all gather at my sister-in-law's house. My parents died about 20 years ago. She pretty much likes to run the show and rarely allows us to bring anything. This year my DIL is making and bringing the stuffing whether she wants it or not and we're trying to get her to let us bring a couple pies at least.

In recent years, though, she is letting us help her in the kitchen on THE DAY. She lets me make the gravy and the mashed potatoes...two items I'm really good at. My DIL makes great, yet simple stuffing. My sister-in-law's stuffing consists of Wonder bread soaked in a gallon of chicken broth....a family recipe passed down from generation to generation. Last year we had both and everyone raved over DIL's stuffing.

S-I-L makes a couple of turkeys; I'd say we have about 25 people. Last year after the turkey dinner we all had a huge fight with the MIL over getting some in-house caregiving for her and FIL. She in a wheelchair and he with dementia. She preferred to let her daughter (yup, the same superwoman that hosts turkey day) to be there all hours of the day and night to care for her even though she has a full time job and was nearing exhaustion.

Well, a year later and things have changed. Father-in-law got lost while driving, hit a light pole and subsequently had a heart attack. That was a couple of months ago. In past two weeks, dementia has progressed to Alzheimer's and he probably has a few weeks to live (maybe) because of damage done to the heart. After the accident, their children stepped in and hired round the clock in home care in spite of MIL's protests. MIL has adjusted nicely now to the caregivers so hopefully there will be no tension this year. Oh, and my DIL wants to take the children to a movie (Enchanted) after the big meal while the guys are watching the games. It's a long day for everyone as my SIL also celebrates her daughter's birthday at supper time.

My side of the family celebrate separately with just their own children.

My hubby and I both LOVE turkey (and so does our son's family) and we make one several times a year. I always make lots of gravy and we freeze the leftover white meat in gravy. Then I take the carcass and make turkey soup!

Hope y'all have a wonderful, peaceful Thanksgiving.

Char

• jel48
    16 years ago

I think I finally know what Thanksgiving will be, or at least part of it! The kids (son and daughter in law) were over for supper last night and we talked about it. It's kind of comical. DIL said her mom just always assumes they'll all be there and never mentions it. So usually, DIL asks her about it way ahead of time. This year she decided not to ask whether her mom is having dinner, and just wait and see when her mom ever mentions it to them :-)

The three of us decided, that if DIL's mom has dinner Thanksgiving night (which is when she usually does it), then we will have Thanksgiving day brunch at my house! Hmmm.... might be a good time to try the Scrapple :-) I'll probably invite my ex-husband (my kid's dad) for brunch too. When I do brunch, I usually go way over the top, but maybe I'll try to go a little easy since there'll be another big meal the same day. I'm thinking maybe french toast (or waffles or pancakes - just one of the three), either bacon or sausage, fresh fruit, the scrapple, and maybe some cinnamon rolls. Yes, all that for 3 or 4 people. And yes, that is going easy, for me! I love to cook big holiday meals. I grew up cooking for a family and farm hands and I guess doing the big meals just takes me back to simpler and very happy times!

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Well at least you all have family that you like to spend the Holidays with.
    This time of year has become stressful and a dreaded time for me. Since my sister has got remarried she and new hub (who likes to cook and entertain) have to have T-Day at their big new house, but never seem to get around to inviting us (just me & hubby), though my parents and brother are invited. Our house is way too small to have a dinner here and I don't like to cook anyway.
    So for the past several years we just do our own thing usually going out somewhere for a dinner, then if weather permits just taking a walk through a nature preserve or park.

Hubby's mother lives with his sister and she just invites her 2 children and their families.
    It's really a shame we have families like this, but it's just so much easier if hubby and I do our own thing instead of facing the animosity of our families and forcing ourselves on them.
    Christmas is no better, but we usually spend the day at my parents, They are in their upper 80's and we all go there with food and even though things go fairly well, it's not easy being with my family.

I can't wait for January, lol.

Janet

• FlowersForMyFarm
    16 years ago

This year we decided to get an organic free range heritage turkey for the first time from a local farmer and prepare all the traditional fixings and do a small meal at home on the actual day in addition to the usual family celebration we go to on the following weekend. At first we were a bit worried when we were told how huge our bird is that we'd be eating turkey for at least the next 5 months but now as it turns out we're going to have a full houseful of people so the leftover situation shouldn't be too bad. Now my biggest fear is showing up to pick up the bird and being handed a live turkey...I never did think to ask if it would be processed (if that's the correct term) I can just see it now , a houseful of people all being introduced to our new pet turkey while they munch on peanut butter sandwiches!!! I'd better make some of that green bean casserole to go with the sandwiches, that recipe sounds really good.

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

Karen,

I think you better check w/that farmer to be sure the bird is dressed (processed), or you'll be plucking feathers until Christmas! I assure you though, it WILL be DEAD...so you wouldn't even get a pet out of it!

Happy Turkey Day to ALL,

Char

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, we had our traditional "Thanks-giving" celebration yesterday--earlier this year, than usual! I'm still in recovery,
    today!

I started the day, yesterday, with both of us having awakened at 5:00 a.m. and we couldn't go back to sleep so we got up
    and stayed up! After it was all over, I crashed at 10:30 p.m., way earlier than usual for me, who likes to stay up past midnight!
    Hubby didn't even wake me up for church, this morning (while I'm usually the first to wake up normally)! I woke up to him being
    on the phone with his mother, who we usually take to church and then I quickly fell right back to sleep, until the phone rang
    around noon!!! I can't even remember doing that before!!

Our oldest daughter made the turkey and dressing and gravy, thankfully, and it was delicious! Our other daughter made a huge
    cherry pie and a huge apple pie, from scratch! Also, very yummy! My mother-inlaw brought her tradion of devilled eggs and
    oatmeal cookies--always a hit with the guys!

I tried several new recipes, even of some tried and true dishes I've always included! Bad idea--if it's your first
    time doing them--especially for a big-day event! I was so nervous and so distracted by the BIG GAME being on
    (Ohio State and Michigan) and their excitement (not mine) over it, with the sons in-laws, etc, grandboys and the
    other daughter and the arrival of MIL that I thought I'd just collapse in a heap!

Oldest daughter's turkey wouldn't finish off in a timely manner, as planned (she stayed home to work on it and sent the grandboys with
    her hubby to our house at noon, game time) and I went through 3 packets of yeast before sending one of the SIL's out for a new packet!
    Despite the expiration date being March '09 on the first one, none of them would foam up like they were suppose to.
    This stalled me by over 45 minutes in getting the Parker House roll dough set aside to rise!!!

Then it was the frenzy of trying to get everything else done when they all needed to be in the oven at the same time but at different
    temperatures!!!!

Finally--we sat down to way too much food, at 6:00 p.m. when it was planned for 4:00 p.m.! I do it every year (too much food)
    but next year---I have sworn to gear back--at the insistence of the family, I'm trying to please--so hopefully, I will remember
    how I felt yesterday, and am feeling today, as a result of trying to over-achieve at making a wonderful and traditional "Thanks"-giving
    meal.

And, besides all that, we don't even really take enough time to focus on what we're supposed to be celebrating, anyhow--with only a brief
    and hurried obligatory 'thanksgiving' prayer!! I'm so concerned that it all be hot and so good and then I'm so worn out, I can't even enjoy the food
    and find myself having missed the whole 'reason, for the season' (much like Christmas, also, every year! Sigh! Don't get me started
    on that one)!What I wind up being most thankful for is the Day being OVER !! And, I really don't think the Lord was that impressed
    with my "THANKS" on a day like I had, yesterday, anyway!

So what has remained a tradition, for me--is the exhaustion and angst of trying to make it memorable, when everyone else says,
    they'd be much happier with far less food, and a more rested Mom! Isn't there a "Martha-story" like that in the Bible? I think I need
    to read that one every year, around this time of the year, especially! I wonder if it wasn't, also, a 'thanks' giving meal that Jesus was
    invited to, as well? :o)

Hopefully-next year--I'll slow down enough to actually think about what I'm most thankful for! Afterall--wasn't that the whole idea, anyhow??

• Janice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bet the story would have gone something like this:

Mary and Martha invite Jesus over for a "thanks" giving meal a week earlier and Martha gets to work--going through all her
    "cook-scrolls" looking for some improved versions of her old stand-by recipes. She probably wasted a lot of time doing that,
    the week before (like me) when she could have been getting her house in order instead. She probably wound up running out
    of time, (like me) and feeling very frantic to get it all together, she became cranky,worn out and frustrated, way ahead of time,
    just thinking about what she'd planned to be done (also, like me).

The day arrived and she was hustling all around the house, falling over the men who had gathered early to watch a goat-wrestling
    match, in the middle of the dirt floor of the gathering room. The children were running in and out the kitchen door, needing *this
    and that* (especially something to drink) and looking for things to occupy themselves with and asking lots of questions about
    what she was doing (sounds familiar)!

Jesus arrives, early, and they all rush to get the best seats next to Him. Mary, Martha's sister, also rushes in and happily finds a seat
    on the floor at His feet! She's very content to just listen to Him talk and hear others ask Him questions! She forgets all about the work
    to be done, planned by her sister! She could have at least finished setting the table or the floor (the custom of the day was to eat reclining!
    There must have been a *floor-cloth* to be put in place, at the very least)!

Martha is incensed! How dare Mary abandon her to all the work, (her plans) of preparing all the latest and greatest dishes for her very
    important guest and family! Sure she enjoyed the idea of making all those wonderful dishes, but she had miscaluculated the reality of being
    able to accomplish it all in one day, especially the new recipes she hadn't tried before, and couldn't rely on familiarity to make them easier to do!

Martha pulls Jesus aside and says, "Jesus, can you please shake some sense and shame into Mary, and make her come help me?"
    Jesus says to Martha, very kindly, "Martha, Martha! You are worried about making too many different things! A turkey and some
    dressing, gravy and maybe some green beans, a jello-salad and a pie would have been enough! We don't need, in addition to all that,
    *special* mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, tossed salad, fruit salad, cranberries, home-made Parker House
    rolls (okay-whatever *special* bread they had then), spiced apple rings, green-bean casserole (onion rings and sauce made-from
    scratch) scalloped oysters AND marinated asparagus! (groan--that was A LOT--and that, also, DOES sound familiar!)

Get real, Martha! Mary has it all figured out! It's more important to be with Me and those you love, than trying to prove how much
    you care, by how much and how fancy the food is you prepare! Make it easy on yourself, and have some of *you* left-over
    for those who love you!"

Martha must have felt like she'd been hit with a brick-bat. All that work, all that fussing about what would be really impressive
    to set before Him and the crowd, and all He really wanted was for her to do just what was necessary to meet a need, and spend
    her time with Him.

Blush! I hear it! This was also about me, and our Thanksgiving-Day celebration/not! Everyone else seemed to enjoy the day,
    (I must say) but I was left completely wrung out--and not much fun to be around--I'm sure!

I hope the rest of you, learn from my experience yesterday! Please, take time to enjoy the day, by not putting so much on yourselves,
    doing more than is reasonable and expected. Your family wants to be WITH you! If they want a waitress and a chef, they could
    go out to a restaurant, instead of to your house!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, and please, take time to give *thanks*--I know you have much to be thankful for--I've seen the pictures! :o)

Janice/'Martha'

P.S. That 'Best Ever Green Bean Casserole', that I posted, above---wasn't--IMHO!