Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasformez4

White Christmas

hostasformez4
16 years ago

How many of us in the hosta community will truly have a white Christmas this year?

I will as we have at least 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground and more to come before December 25.

I'm Connie and I live near Freeport Illinois in the Northwestern area of the state.

How many people,name your cities and states please, will I hear from.

Connie

Comments (16)

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Yes Connie here just a bit more south in Illinois near Ottawa, I have about 4" of the white stuff on the ground and with the predicted temps only being in the upper 20's, I think it will stay around for awhile.
    For the past week or more we've alternated between freezing rain, sleet and snow, with more predicted for tomorrow.
    I guess it's a good thing, providing the ground with moisture and snow cover, considering how dry we were in previous years.

Janet

• jel48
    16 years ago

Mine will definitely be white, as we have about 13 inches at the current time. The highest temp I see on Weather.com's 10 day forecast is 28 degrees, so unless it rains enough to change it all to ice, I think it's here for the duration.

Things don't sound so good for Missouri and Oklahoma (my sister and daughter's states). Sounds like major ice storms in MO have taken down trees, power lines, and so on. Was on the phone with my daughter (Tulsa OK) this morning and Tulsa is pretty much shut down because of ice, although it doesn't sound like so much as in MO. My daughter and son-in-law are both at home because their workplaces didn't even open up today.

On a lighter, brighter note, it IS awfully pretty :-)

• jel48
    16 years ago

OOPS!! I'm Joyce calling in from Rochester Minnesota :-) Forgot to put that in my earlier post.

• hostahaveum
    16 years ago

Hi I am Dot, from South NJ, sometime we have a few inches of snow at Christmas time not always. We had a very long warm fall here , had some Hostas hanging on after mid. November. So far we have had a snow dusting 2 times ,the second day it snowed like crazy for hours & all told we only had about two inches.Some winters we have gotten a foot here & there,others hardly any thing at all.My family is from Iceland so we , don't consider snow a hardship till you have to dig your way out the door in the mornings before work. I love a white Christmas , spent a few in Japan & California, just couldn't get in the mood to get my jingle on in shorts!

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Well,since it barely RAINS,here anymore,it's doubtful if we will have a white Christmas. If we get any snow it will be in January,sometimes February. Sorry!

• hostasformez4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Picture of my front yard and the ice on the trees. Enjoy!

Connie

• phil
    16 years ago

I'm phil, from northern Ohio. Sometimes we have lots of snow for christmas, sometimes we have lots of ice and NO electricty and some times we just have rain like the last 3 days.The Lake effects our weather, so what ever mood she is in that is what we get. But I intend to have a great Christmas no matter what the weather.
    So Merry Christmas to you all.
    phil

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

We have snow here and its just right for making snowmen.
    Zone 5 - Eastern Washington.

{{gwi:898196}}

These old fir trees are in a Park in our town.
    {{gwi:898198}}

• hostasformez4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Liked the snowman! I haven't built one since the grandchildren were small. Boy, that brings back memories.

The trees are beautiful with their snowy coats.

Any one feel free to post your pictures. I know lots of you are taking winter ones.

Connie

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

Resizing my photos, and trying to delete the big ones.
    {{gwi:898199}}

{{gwi:898200}}

• jel48
    16 years ago

Someone already mentioned it in another thread, but it IS amazing, isn't it? How much more beautiful all that white stuff is in someone else's yard? Actually, it is beautiful in my yard too. I guess I just don't appreciate it there quite so much :-)

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

Oh, I love that photo taken through the wreath!!! WOW what a clever eye you have!

That red bird house is wonderful. So Christmasy in all the black and white.

The snow photos (black and white) take me back to the 60's and 70's. (remember the cartridge film and flashcubes?)

• jel48
    16 years ago

Wow, poppy, do I ever! I hadn't thought of those in years. And the poleroids too. My folks gave my two sisters and me a poleroid 'Swinger' for Christmas one year. Do you remember those?

I'm glad you liked the wreath and bird house photos. I took those the other day, to email to my sisters, along with a question about what their weather was like. I figured I wouldn't have to explain my weather with those photos attached. I'm in MN, have two sisters in IA, one in NE, and one in MO. The Missouri sister emailed back to say that they had a quarter inch of ice and it was really beautiful but that she had an idea it was going to get worse before it got better. Which it did... that was right when the big ice storms were hitting Missouri and also Oklahoma (where my daughter is).

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

Some years we have snow here in central B.C. Last year we had lots including fresh snow on Christmas Eve to top what was already on the ground. On Christmas Day it was sunny and beautiful. Here are some pictures.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! You live in a beautiful area :-)

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

McTavish, your photos capture the magic of the season.

Beautiful!

I almost missed seeing your kitty. If the snow got any deeper, your dog would have been in deep trouble.