Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Looking for advice - throw rugs that won't stay put!

jel48
16 years ago

Once more, this morning, I have to move my long (hallway length - about 8 feet) throw rug back into the middle of the hallway. I bought this rug a few months ago when I moved into the house. At the time, it was put in place so that I could come in from the garden, across the uncarpeted kitchen and into my bathroom without tracking garden dirt on the hallway carpet. And, as a bonus, the rug even looks nice there!

BUT, by the time a day or two has gone by, the rug has ALWAYS scooted way over to the side of the hallway. It scoots toward the bathroom, and my only guess about why is that I must come ON to the rug most often from the other side, and every time I do so it moves over a fraction of an inch.

Does anyone know something that would really work to keep this rug in place? Keep in mind, it's sitting on top of berber carpet, not on a hard surface. I know they make stuff that you can cut to the size of the rug and put underneath so it doesn't slip on hard surface, but would that make any difference on top of carpet? I've even wondered about using upholstery tacks, but kind of concerned they might work out and I'd end up with one in my foot!!

Can anyone help me out?

Comments (12)

• phil
    16 years ago

JUST SEW SOME VELCRO ON THE BACK OF IT. IT WILL BITE INTO THE CARPET ON THE FLOOR.
    ohio phil SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a good idea, Phil. Something that hadn't even occurred to me! Thanks.

• hostared
    16 years ago

One quick solution is double sided carpet tape.
    We did this for our runners. Works great.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The double sided carpet tape is a great idea too! I have even heard of that... but .... uh... I guess I had forgotten about it (which happens way too often). Thank you :-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

that's because you spend too much time in the camera shop .. versus the hardware store...

velco will snag the bottom carpet.. and eventually MIGHT make a bad spot ...

i put down tape 7 years ago, near the front door.... that carpet has never moved ....

ken

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nah.... ken. It's 'cause I'm getting old... ;-)

Seven years is a good track record! I'm convinced!

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

SonKen,

Why didn't you tell me about it?!?

I had a long runner that I put in the hall but everytime I looked it it had moved and was at an angle when I viewed it in the mirror at the end of the hall. I ended up rolling it up and putting it away in the closet. Now I can get it out and try again.

I can't believe you would help a stranger out before your dear old mom! LOL

MonConnie

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Connie! Your post is a riot :-) Read your 'son is a son' post too!!

• Janice
    16 years ago

See what I mean!! How could I think otherwise than--that Connie and Ken are real Mom and son?? Sigh!!! ;o)

• chatty_2008
    15 years ago

Ken,
    When you wrote that you used "tape" and your throw rug has stayed put, for 7 yrs., are you talking about the two-sided tape? If so, how much did you use? I tried that, but just put it on the corners of the back side & that didn't work. Velcro didn't work & neither did that rubber matting that I cut the same size as the throw rug. They both scooted. I recently had back surgery & can't straighten these throw rugs all day long, so please answer soon!
    Thanks,
    Chatty in Ohio :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

see link ..

i gotta think i went around the whole binded carpet ...

but i sure as heck am not going to go lift it to find out.. lol ... no edge is lose.. so i am pretty sure...

its berber on berber ... its a front door mat.. made of the same carpet below ... and has the same stiff backing .. so that might make the tape work better ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: ken

• Bretthall100
    9 years ago

This is the good concept I agree with this. This advice is really good.