Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Where do you keep your thermostat set?

jel48
16 years ago

In the winter that is... I'm in the new house and I set it at 62 when the weather started getting colder. Got my first 'real winter' natural gas bill the other day and immediately lowered it to 60. Right now, I have a sweater and fuzzy slippers on along with my jeans and t-shirt and I'm about ready to go get a blanket :-( On the other hand, when my friend was over and we baked cookies all evening yesterday, it was toasty warm in here!

Comments (13)

• hostahaveum
    16 years ago

64* here, windy old farm house:( , hoody & fuzzy socks too! Natural gas , heating oil & even wood is very expensive unless you cut it up your self anymore. Every winter we talk about windmills & solar panels when we get the first oil & gas bills YIKES!! Now wheres my nose muff....

• hostahaveum
    16 years ago

64* here, windy old farm house:( , hoody & fuzzy socks too! Natural gas , heating oil & even wood is very expensive unless you cut it up your self anymore. Every winter we talk about windmills & solar panels when we get the first oil & gas bills YIKES!! Now wheres my nose muff....

• hostared
    16 years ago

OMG!
    I'd freeze.
    I would be praying for hot flashes.
    Has to be on 72 degrees during the day and no lower. Heating bills are not bad at all. At night I like it cooler sometimes it's at 68 but no lower and thats only at night!
    Wow you two are warriors. lol

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Only about 65-68 here. We have central air & heat pump,as well as electric heat strips,if we need them,but we only heat with a propane gas log fireplace which has a fan. At night we have heated bed mattress cover,if it gets too cold. Usually,we really don't get that cold until January,when it sometimes gets to single digit outside temps,but not even below zero. Sorry about that frozen tundra residents!lol! Phil

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

The older you get the colder you get!!!! As with everything else,we are paying more the last 2 years for our natural gas.

We do 68 degrees and try not to change it. I am here all the time and when I feel a chill the sweater and booties go on. Our fanily room downstairs is about 3 or 4 degrees cooler so we have an old wicker basket full of throws for us and guests to wrap up in. No TV in the livingroom for us for over 30 years so it's either down there, the kitchen, the computer room, or the bedroom if you want to watch it.

• hostahaveum
    16 years ago

Thanks hostared ! I always wondered who the heck invented hot flashes ,& what ever for?? LOL Now that was a Good one :) I can see me now.... go ahead dear ,turn the heat down a few more degrees...hee hee

• Teresa_MN
    16 years ago

I used to turn it down to 62-64 over nite. I would raise it to 68+ during the hours I was home. However, five years ago I was in a crosswalk and someone talking on a cell phone while driving hit me and 3 other people. I had 19 fractures on my right side. It cause some injury induced arthritis and now I go with whatever temp feels good. For some reason if its too cold the right hip hurts and I cannot sleep.

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

I set the thermostat to be 72 when I home, and 61 at night or when I'm not home. Gas heat.

To keep toasty warm, I prefer the new down blankets over the old style down comforters. They are so lightweight, its amazing how they hold in the heat.

• Janice
    16 years ago

Our thermostat is at 68-70 during most cold days and 62 at night after 10:00 p.m.--gas heat!

bluepoppy--can you tell me more about your down blanket? How does it differ and is it the
    only blanket you use on your bed? Is yours washable?

• hostared
    16 years ago

Hi Jan,
    I can tell you about our down comforter.
    We have almost a 2" thick one. It is stitched in squares and filled with mostly all down. The sides are not stitched down but have a piece of material stitched so the loft is raised. And I believe it is double stitched. None of the feathers have ever gotten out. Well worth the investment.

We have had it for 10 years. I do wash it in the spring then let it sun dry outside. We have a duvet on it so it's easy to keep the surface clean.

As for warmth there is nothing like it!
    And we sometimes use it in the summer with the air on and it's not to warm. I think it breaths so it can be used in all seasons.

Don't buy a cheap one it's an investment that will reward you for a long time. And many can be found on sale w/coupon in January. Duvets can be made or purchased. Target has them at a resonable cost.

Besides a sheet it's the only blanket we use!

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

I got mine from qvc - item H97172. 600 fill power down.

I agree with hostared, it's an investment, but well worth it! machine washable/dryable.

• Janice
    16 years ago

Thank you, Gloria and Poppy! Definitely worth looking into, I'm thinking! Brrrrr!

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

Hi Gang,

We have our thermastat set to automatically go up to 68 degrees about 6 a.m. and go down to 60 at 8p and 50 at 9 p.m. Really helps on the heating bill too! (Gas Heat/Forced Air)

You would think we'd freeze but get too warm and can't sleep if set any higher. We even like the ceiling fan on. I think it has something to do with being older...the whole menopause thing. We use 1 vellux blanket and a comforter...but half the time I end up throwing the comforter off for a while. One of my cats might be cold though as she asks to come under the blankets several times a night!

Char

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County