Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Is anyone doing Christmas cookies this year?

jel48
16 years ago

Is anyone doing Christmas cookies this year? I am... just arranged with a friend to bake cookies together a week from tomorrow after work (for her that is, since I don't work Mondays). We did this once before, about 5 years ago, at her house. This year we're doing it at my place. Last time we both came up with 4 or 5 of our long time family favorites. We baked all evening, had a couple of glasses of wine, and ended up finishing up about 2 am! and THEN we had to decorate the traditional 'icing' type cookies a couple days later! They were great. Both of our families absolutely LOVED the whole thing and thought we should do it every year :-) Things have finally worked out for a second time this year! This time, I'm not going with old time favorites, but with new recipes that I've found online and in magazines.

I usually bake cookies for Christmas every other year or so, and when I do, I do it big time. Last year I baked on my own, and went with an up north Minnesota theme! I'll show ya!

This year I'm not doing any that need decorating.... unless my friend brings that type of recipe, of course.

We'll purchase supplies ahead of time, spend a wonderful, warm evening full of baking and good conversation, and then split the rewards!

Now, how about you? Any good cookie plans or traditions you can share?

Comments (6)

• hostahaveum
    16 years ago

Those cookies look yummy!Great idea, my Mil used to compete w/ me on how many doz. she had baked, it was so much fun we had cookies in the freezer till Easter, too funny. Not baking here yet ,hubby is doing plumbing work, electric, new stove & oven not hooked up yet .....what a mess ! I am cooking on a two burner hot plate & microwave. But it will be a great kitchen when hes done, hopefully soon ;) I did buy lots of chocolate chips , to motivate him! Dot.

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Not unless my Hubby wants to eat some and them he will have to help make them. Actually we haven't taken the time to think about them yet.

Connie

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Wow Joyce! You are one ambitious gal!
    I think I see a plate of my favorites on the table. Are those peanut butter blossoms?

I am hoping to get some made and if my mom finds her recipe for Mexican Wedding Balls, I want to make some of those too.

Sounds like you and your friend have a great time. What a fun idea!

Janet

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

I cant wait to see your cookies this year.

Its going to be hard to top those Moose in Minnesota. There were VERY CUTE!

I browse cookie recipes in magazines too. This pic was from 2005. One of these years, I might try to make them.

{{gwi:898556}}

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Made cookies last Sunday. Called my second son's live in girlfriend and we baked together!

Just as I started to warm up the oven the element went out!

I did have a back up down stairs as I have my old gas stove hooked up there so we had to go up and down all day but got the job done. The guys who were watching football in the family room watched the times for things to come out of the oven. Nine different kinds of bars or cookies later we are eating our hearts out and putting on the pounds!

My 20 year old grandson and his girlfriend came and helped frost cutouts which I thought was nice. He heard from his dad that we were doing cookies and he likes to eat them so........! We had lots of willing eaters for the rejects.

Connie

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My cookies were baked on the 17th. My friend, Jean, came over after she got off work (I had the day off) and we baked until midnight! The first pic shows a pistachio/raspberry bar and some capachino cookies. The second pic shows Reese's peanut butter cup cookies and a very simple cornmeal cookie (much like sweet cornbread in cookie form). We cooked 3-4 other kinds as well. All recipes were new this year and we were lucky because a couple were absolutely delicious and none were bad... all keepers! Later on, I boxed up 7 tins to give away to family members and also took a large platter to work. I think I'll have to repeat the work thing because there are enough cookies left at my house to last me all of 2008!