Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

2006 Hosta Secret Swap - Sign Up

daisy_me
17 years ago

It's that time of year again....time for the 2006 Hosta Secret Swap!

I pushed the timing back a little this year in the hopes that our far-north hosta growing friends will be able to join us. The swap is open to all U.S. GardenWeb members. IÂd be happy to pair up Canadian members as well if thereÂs enough interestÂjust e-mail me if youÂre interested.

Well, here you go....

------------------------------------------

2006 Hosta Secret Swap Sign Up

If you are interested in participating in the 2006 Hosta Secret Swap you must sign up by 5/10/06. You must e-mail me with your info by the cut off date to be part of the Secret Hosta Swap.

1. The secret hosta swap is for at least ONE NAMED hosta. You are allowed to send more if you choose but you must send at least one healthy, disease free, named variety of hosta, at least one eye with sufficient roots. There has been much discussion on HVX and foliar nematodes on hosta forums. If you are suspicious of any hostas you have, please do not share those with fellow gardeners. Please only send a hosta or hostas that you would be happy to receive and plant in your garden.

2. All secret trades must be mailed by USPS Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation Number, Fedex, or UPS. Once your package is mailed please e-mail me with your DC number or tracking number. This will be used to track the package if there is any problem with delivery.

3. All packages must be mailed out by 5/31/06. If there is an unforeseen problem getting your package out on time, please e-mail me so I can contact your secret trader. This is a "secret" trade so no one knows who is mailing to anyone else until the package is received!

4. Last but very important, you must officially sign up to be part of this. Put "GardenWeb Secret Hosta Swap" in the subject line of your e-mail to me with this information:

Your first and last name

Your mailing address

Your user name on GardenWeb

I will e-mail you with confirmation that you are part of the Secret Hosta Swap. I will also follow up with the list of screen names of participants two days before the cutoff date for sign up. If your name isn't on the final list and you already signed up be sure to contact me immediately or you may not be a part of the Hosta Secret Swap.

I will post more new info on this forum about the secret swap. Please check the "Exchanges" part of the Hosta Forum frequently for updates and please only post on the "Exchanges" forum about the hosta swap. We are not allowed to post about this on the Discussions area of the Hosta Forum.

One last important note, this is always a lot of fun and we can avoid disappointment by making sure that those who sign up for the secret swap are committed to following through and mailing out their packages on time.

Let's get to trading! :-)

Comments (31)

• grumpygardenguy
    17 years ago

yeah it's time again. glad we stuck to the at least one named, 3 might be to much for the new hosta folks.

didn't we have a post about it last year on the regular forum, also isn't there something about having to put what types we have in our plants for trade page. Been a year and my memory sucks.

• WBLOONATIC
    17 years ago

info being mailed to you right now.
    thanks for doing this daisy me.
    and grumpygardenguy is right,please list what hostas you have in your members page,this allows your secret trader to see what hostas you already have so they dont send you any doubles.
    wbloonatic

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I'm in!

As far as receiving duplicates. I think it is unfair to expect a new to your garden hosta. THere are some members who have collections that number well into the hundreds or over a thousand. I would be hard pressed to make sure I found something they don't already have adn a newbie would probably not be able to accommodate that rule at all.

Besides, that isn't the spirit of secret hosta swapping. The whole point is to make a new hosta buddy, not just to increase your collection.

That being said, of course if I can send something that my person doesn't already have I will, but to expect that you couldn't receive a duplicate is unreasonable.

Alexa

• fenceberry
    17 years ago

I'm in, too. And I agree with Alexa, it's for the fun of it. If I get a duplicate, that means I have more to share with friends or keep as a backup. Thanks Daisy me!

• grumpygardenguy
    17 years ago

I think the list is helpful, as i would like to send something they dont have and no way to do that without knowing what they do have. I say i'd like too, but then i only have 7 named hosta theres frank henry bob george luke tom and TIMMMAY! kidding about the names, but still just have 7, would have 8, but golden tiara didn't make it after the trade last year. I have 23 hostas total, but only the 7 kinds and 3 of those are the less desired undulatas. i lost 6 this year ,one patriot, the golden and 4 undulatas. I still have 10 patriots, 3 fragrant bouguetes, 1 guacamole,1 sagae, 2 albo marangetas and 2 other undulats 6 each that i can't remember which ones they be.

• fenceberry
    17 years ago

I'm not saying we shouldn't post our lists, just that I won't be disappointed if I get something I already have. It's always better to get something on your wish list, but heck, who is going to buy me Rufus Rider or Dalton's Pick? I'll take it if someone wants to, though!!! lol

• pcmcg
    17 years ago

I'm in! Been waiting for this, thanks Daisy Me for heading this up again and waiting a little bit, my hostas are finally popping

• kymmieann
    17 years ago

Thanks Fence for letting us know over on the discussion board that the secret swap sign up was up and running.
    Of course we definately have to thank Daisy_me for arranging and getting this off with out a hitch once again. She is such a noble (sp) person for taking all of this responsiblity.Thanks in advance Daisy!!!
    Kymmie

ps Email on the way.

• mainma
    17 years ago

Count me in and thank you Daisy. I agree that lists are helpful but not mandatory. Last year my "sender" came up with a couple of classics I didn't have and the generous surprise of a couple of other perennials. Despite HVX and nematodes (going to isolate anything new just in case) I've decided to participate because it so much fun receiving that mysterious package in the mail as well s surprising another forum member with your mailing.

M-A

• cindy528
    17 years ago

Count me in too. E-mail on the way. Thanks Daisy for taking the time and making the effort. I love hosta swap time lol.
    Cindy

• lokigal92
    17 years ago

I'm in..Email is on its way. Thanks Daisy for doing it again.
    petlover

• lynnem
    17 years ago

I'm in, thanks!

Lynne

• Lee
    17 years ago

Me too... Thanks

Lee

• keithrnjd
    17 years ago

Thanks, Daisy, you have an e-mail on the way.

Sally

• zztopsoil
    17 years ago

E-Mail Has Been Sent.
    Signing Up on the Thread.

Lelan.

• grumpygardenguy
    17 years ago

Well call me stupid, but i can't see how to edit my page been since last may, now i see no edit your page link or anything. not that i have much to add to what is there just the fact it's 5 more patriots and one more fragrant bouquet and the guac and the one undulata i know the name of is albo and Sagae has 3 eyes now. So not like it's an emergency to change it. Oh the ALbo has bloom stalks is it bad to dig up an eye whilst it's blooming (not one that has a stalk in or near it). Figured i'd stick an eye in for good messure, with one of the hosta of the year winner types. That is how i started my hosta infatuation is with past winners, however at the time i got them i didn't know that they had that distinction, heh. I guess i just had a good eye for popular hosta.

• buff24
    17 years ago

Ooh, Ooh! Count me in! This will be my first time participating in the secret swap! How fun! daisy_me, you have mail...

Buff

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far! There's 5 days left to sign up so keep those e-mails coming! :-)

I do agree that if you have time you should update your hosta list and post it on your trade page. You may still receive a duplicate, but at least your secret pal would have something to review to give them some ideas on what you're missing, or what you may like more of. The swap is supposed to be for the fun of it, and to meet new hostaholics! Everyone have a good time and don't worry about it.

Grumpygardenguy--if you look on the main page of GardenWeb all the way at the bottom in the tiny print you'll find a link for "Member Pages".

• grumpygardenguy
    17 years ago

DAisy thx found it you'd think it would have an edit this page link on the page somewhere.

looks like we may need to increase the signup deadline, doesn't seem many have joined unless they are emailing and not posting.

• flower_power_nc
    17 years ago

Hi glad it's this time of year.
    Have been on vacation. Sending you
    my info. And I got a secrect pal who
    had every Hosta you could have last year.
    Hope they were not disappointed. I tryed.

• Lisa
    17 years ago

Count me in! It sounds like so much fun!! Thanks! Lisa

• garischa
    17 years ago

I want to play too. I'll update my list tonight.

Thanks for setting this up.
    Uli (garischa)

• mjjones453
    17 years ago

Count me in, I can't wait! Mary

• amr0719
    17 years ago

Count me in - email coming your way.

Thanks for all your time and effort!!!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good Evening! As of right now there are 48 people on the list (including Canadians). They are....

annzn5
    badzoe
    bonsai63
    bragu
    buff24
    caliloo
    cathgreen
    cindy528
    dbowemd
    digs57
    dukegg1
    easttexasgirl
    fenceberry
    flower_power_nc
    garischa
    goldfinchtn
    gottahosta
    granny57
    gregory2327
    grumpygardenguy
    halcyone
    hosta_mom
    hostabuff
    hostas1000
    indyrose
    intrepidgardner
    keithrnjd
    kiterloo
    kymmieann
    lavendargrrl
    lgkovalcik
    lroyrose
    lynnem
    mainma
    melati
    minnow
    mjjones453
    newhostaaddict
    paws4pets
    pcmcg
    petlover
    roz11
    serenity_kate
    spencer1400
    splashdown
    timhensley
    wbloonatic
    zztopsoil

If you sent me an e-mail and don't see your name, please send me another e-mail. If you didn't send me an e-mail and want to see your name on the list, send me an e-mail.

You have until Wednesday 5/10 12pm CST to sign up! :-)

• lynnda
    17 years ago

Am I too late? Just found this website a few days ago, but have many "named" hosta I could swap. Not quite sure how it goes, but I'd like to swap. I'm Lynnda
    Lynnda Ziebol
    2537 4th Ave. E.
    N. St. Paul, MN 55109

• grumpygardenguy
    17 years ago

lynnda ya need to send that info in an email to daisy me, she may or may not see it in a post and you have till midnight tonight. click on the my page in her first post and then the email link.

• michiana
    17 years ago

Sent you an email! I'm ready to trade!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sign up for the 2006 Hosta Secret Swap is officially closed. I've got the following people on the list:

annzn5
    badzoe
    bonsai63
    bragu
    buff24
    bukaeast
    caliloo
    cathgreen
    cindy528
    dbowemd
    digs57
    dukegg1
    easttexasgirl
    fenceberry
    flower_power_nc
    garischa
    goldfinchtn
    gottahosta
    granny57
    gregory2327
    grumpygardenguy
    halcyone
    hosta_mom
    hostabuff
    hostas1000
    indyrose
    intrepidgardner
    keithrnjd
    kiterloo
    kymmieann
    lavendargrrl
    lgkovalcik
    lori79
    lroyrose
    lynnda
    lynnem
    mainma
    melati
    michiana
    minnow
    mjjones453
    newhostaaddict
    paws4pets
    pcmcg
    petlover
    roz11
    serenity_kate
    spencer1400
    splashdown
    timhensley
    twin_too
    wbloonatic
    zztopsoil

If you sent me an e-mail and do not see your name here, please contact me immediately. I'll send everyone an e-mail this weekend with the information on their Secret Pal.

Almost time to get started! :-)

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

I'm sorry I missed it. Perhaps next year.

Lainey

• gottahosta
    17 years ago

Hey, would folks please update their hosta lists, so we can send something our secret trader doesn't have yet.

Two years ago, you could have sent me just about anything- now, I can send just about anything to my ST! lol!!!! Just seems like it!

Brenda

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz