Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhostaaddict

HAVE: Secret Trade from Summer has Arrived...

newhostaaddict
15 years ago

WOOHOOEY.........

8 VERY NICE plants from summer daze arrived here yesterday...

thank you SO MUCH...they look GREAT...kept them out of the cold last night and gave their BIG roots a little soak..

suzan sent me...

Tokudama Aureonebulosa

Summer Music

Gypsy Rose

Cliffords Comet

Stiletto

Carnival

Christmas Tree

and....Red October

thanks again suzan...

and thanks kelli for arranging the trade...

jill...

Comments (55)

• pandora
    15 years ago

Wow what a surprise. Great hostas.

Lainey, please do not feel stupid at all. The trade is for one named Hosta.
    Summer Daze was very wonderfully generous. That is fantastic, but not the norm.

Your gift will delight your receiver as long as the hosta is named (not the most common Undulata) and healthy with some nice roots.
    Believe me.

• pandora
    15 years ago

How in the heck did I post twice????? Sorry, wish I could delete it.

Maidofshade, very very nice hostas. You will have great fun finding a place to plant them.

I can hardly wait for my package. :)

• steph98
    15 years ago

Got mine today. Thanks, Cheryl! What a nice haul! I got Golden Scepter, Elegans, Pandora's Box, Allen P. McConnell and Cheatin' Heart. My mini garden is loving this! And, yes, don't worry, we'll find room for the Elegans. There's always room for one more hosta, isn't there!?
    Thanks, again Dirtdiva and DaiseyMe as well!
    Steph98

• teresa_ohio
    15 years ago

My hostas arrived first thing this morning. Thank you Doug M. from Indianapolis. I'm not sure what your GW name is. :) I received Green Gold, Golden Drop, Toy Soldier, and Frances Williams. Also included was Caliph's Rose daylily. Thank you so much for all the great plants and Thank you Daisy for hosting this trade. Teresa

• mjjones453
    15 years ago

Glad you liked them Cheryl! I love sharing with anyone that appreciates Hosta's. You know the green ones,and the green and white ones! lol!! I can't wait until my package gets here!! anticipation! Mary

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

My secret trade came today, just minuet ago!Wow,I AM HAPPY.
    This is my very first time trading and it has been so much fun,every day checking the mail,then in a big hurry,open the box to see what goodie awaits your great expectation,how fun!
    I recieved-Regal Splendor
    Jimmy Crack Corn
    & Guacamole,with very nice plant markers with their names on them.AND,they are all Big,and Beautiful,did i mention they were Big?

Can we do this again any time soon? :0)

Thank you Dasie for putting this together for all of us,it must have been a lot of work on your part,what are YOU looking for?
    Again,thank you Dot-aks-Hostahaveum,you done good.I do believe i will add your name in my garden.:0)

Carol-aks-Just1morehosta

• mjjones453
    15 years ago

A big thank you to Lynnda for the wonderful hosta's! Lynnda sent me Aphrodite, Venusta, and FireOpal! None of which I have! any growing tips? let me know! I looked up Fire Opal on the internet just to get some background info. Thank you again! Sorry that it has been a slow growing season for you because of the cold! Mary

• summerdaze_tn
    15 years ago

Wow! My many, many thanks go out to dbowemd for an outstanding shipment of hostas. He sent:

Amy Elizabeth
    Emerald Tiara
    Kabitan
    Prarie Magic
    Longissima
    Illict Affair
    Lemon Delight
    Twist of Lime
    St. Elmo's Fire

And I had none of these in my collection.

I will remember the sentiments with Kabitan and be sure to share it in years to come, Dr. Dave!

Thanks a million!

Suzan

• fenceberry
    15 years ago

Got my package today. Thanks Tasha!
    She sent Brass Horn and Spilt Milk. Don't worry, I think the roots on SM will be just fine. I hadn't heard of BH before so I had to look it up and I think I have a good spot for it.
    They're soaking up some water now but I'll have them planted by this evening. Thanks again!

• amr0719
    15 years ago

A BIG thank you to Teresa-Ohio for the wonderful hostas!!!
    She sent Jimmy Crack Corn, Paul's Glory and Munchkin. I had a Paul's Glory several year's ago but it disappeared. I'm so glad to get a replacement and the others! I've just started with minis so Munchkin will be a wonderful addition.

Thank you again Teresa-Ohio and thank you DaisyMe for arranging the trade.

• hostapumpkinman
    15 years ago

Thanks to Mary (Pandora).She sent me:Leola Fraim
    Golden Oriole
    Striptease
    Jack In the Pulpits
    All were much appreciated and will make great additions to my garden,Phil

• daisy_me
    15 years ago

Yeah! Mine arrived also, actually a couple of days ago but I've had to work a lot this week.

Maidofshade (Cheryl) sent me a completely overstuffed box containing:

St. Elmo's Fire
    Tick Tock
    Lakeside Elfin Fire
    Lemon Lime
    Allen P. McConnell
    Alligator Shoes
    Pearl Lake
    Lakeside Babyface

I love them! I lost a couple of these last year to drought and my plain laziness, so I was really glad to see them again. And I've been wanting Alligator Shoes for a while now!

Thanks again Cheryl, you really went above and beyond.

And Just1morehosta (Carol), everyone's thanks are enough for me--I love the suspense of these swaps so it's a lot of fun for me to do them.

• daisy_me
    15 years ago

A couple more things...

While it's in no way required, almost everyone in the swap enjoys getting a response of some type from their secret swapper so they know their package arrived in good shape. Publicly or privately is your choice, and I'm sure your swapper would appreciate it!

If you have not contacted me to let me know you are mailing late, or have already mailed, please do so at your earliest convenience. I won't start bugging anyone about it until early next week, but if you e-mail me first you won't have to hear from me. ;-)

Thanks to all the participants, and I hope you had fun!

• maidofshade
    15 years ago

Kelli (daisy_me) You are soooooooo very welcome. These trades ROCK!!!! Think of all the anticipation and surprises for everyone. Thanks again for putting this on!!
    Cheryl

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

I received my trade this past week. A big THANK YOU to Steph98 for my "Oldies but Goodies" box! She sent Golden Scepter, Lancifolia, Blue Cadet and Golden Tiara. They are happily enjoying their new home.

Thanks, Steph and thanks to Kelli for pulling off another great Secret Swap!

Sally

• margo5084
    15 years ago

The Mailman was here! Thanks Alanis for sending me a cool Eskimo Pie on this warm June day! Gotta love these trades! Margo5084

• hostahaveum
    15 years ago

Hi all ! I just got my secret trade from Jill ! She sent First Frost, Shade Fanfare, Pearl Lake,& Abby all are new for me. Thank-you Thank-you Thank- you I love them all. There was even a lttle smiling snail in the box, so cute I will cherish him always ! :) Dot

• dirtdiva
    15 years ago

I am sooo excited!! This is the best!!! I received Sweet Home Chicago, Radiant Edger, Baby Bunting, and Little Wonder!!! Included in the box was pachysandra and bloodroot for my shade gardens!! I am overwhelmed!! A BIG thank you to Michiana (Marge). I am delighted. Kelli, thank you for putting this swap together.
    dirtdivarocks (Cheryl)

• michiana
    15 years ago

Hi Cheryl! I'm glad to hear that you are happy with what I sent. After the deer had a buffet in my hostas I was really concerned what I had left to send that still looked ok. Have agreat growing season!

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

Hey Suzan,
    These are all good fast multipliers, and distinctive ones.
    Kabitan is special because it was originally given to me by a hosta collector (Who had about 50 varieties at the time) and started me wanting to collect. I think I also got in that original group Ginko Craig, Golden Scepter, Gold Standard, Allen P. McConnell and Fortunei Aureomarginata. About 2001 I think.
    I know you'll enjoy them.
    Dave

• just_one_more
    15 years ago

I received my secret trades from Flowergazer early last week. Golden Scepter, Crested Surf, Queen Josephine, Little Wonder, Island Charm, and Invincible were all neatly packed and in fabulous condition sitting on my front step.

What a fun thing!!

Thanks again,

Mike

• flowergazer
    15 years ago

Thanks so much annzn5,
    I loved Home Sweet Chicago and Snow Cap. Nice divisions and excellent shipping. The beautiful note and Burt's Bee Hand Salve is very much apprecited also. Brenda

• mareas
    15 years ago

I received my secret hosta today from BOTANYBABE - a show quality 'Revolution' plant!
    It's beautiful, thank you very much!! ~ Marea

• Tasha
    15 years ago

Thank you so much Fenceberry!
    I got Magic Fire, Christmas Pageant, August Moon and Toy Soldier.

Thank you so, so much! They are all greatly appreciated.

• fenceberry
    15 years ago

You're welcome, TK. I tried to get a couple from your wish list.

• Tasha
    15 years ago

To tell you the truth I want them all. I just went through hallson's site one day and put down what caught my eye.

Especially thanks for August Moon. It is one that is special for my niece. We always say that is her hosta because she was born during an August Moon.

Thanks again!

• mareas
    15 years ago

I got ANOTHER secret box from Botanybabe!!
    She had Joy Creek Nursery here in Oregon send me YELLOW RIVER, which is every bit as beautiful in person,
    if not more so, AND a campanula with a brilliant blue flower!?!
    Both plants are BIG and have flowers about to open!! I'm positively giddy from all these days of happy dancing!

• pandora
    15 years ago

I read a post earlier that someone was going to get a 2008 Intro.

Yipppeeee! I got it! My secret trader was mareas. I received the box today and the hostas arrived in perfect condition.
    They are healthy and beautiful.

Thanks to Daisy_me for organizing this.

I received
    Hosta 'Ice Prancer' a 2008 Intro descended from Reptillian - it is gorgeous
    I've never had a new Intro before.
    Hosta 'Dream Weaver' have wanted for a long time - such pretty variegation in the leaf.
    Hosta unknown Blue a very beautiful and healthy division.

I am one lucky dog and just thrilled with my new babies.
    Thanks to Daisy_me for organizing this.

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

Mareas,

I'm so glad you liked your secret trades. It was fun picking them out, digging, and getting them to you.

I am looking forward to doing the happy dance when I receive mine.

Lainey

• alanis
    15 years ago

Hi Margo5084,

Your welcome, I'm so glad you liked the Eskimo Pie....
    sure wish I had one of those ice cream bars in my freezer too!! With all this rain, now we are going to be steamy...YUCK!!

alanis

• granny57x
    15 years ago

Hi Mike!!!
    Received your package today!!!What a nice surprise!!!!
    I love every single Hosta you sent to me!!And the garden name tags were WONDERFUL!!
    Mike sent me;
    Elvis Lives
    Crested Surf
    Christmas Tree
    Invencible
    And 4 Wonderful Plant name tags with names of Hostas on them ,And yes Mike,I do have those named Hostas that you have on the tags.Thank You so much!!
    Everything came in perfect condition and the plants were VERY NICE!!
    Did you make the tags yourself?I've never seen any like them anywhere.Lovely,Just Lovely!!
    Don't worry about being late,It was worth the wait.Keep that youngen of yours in the garden as long as he'll stay with it.
    Thank You again for a Wonderful group of Hostas and the much needed plant tags!!
    Margie((Granny57x))
    P.S. Don't know your screen name.

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

OMG I got my long triangle box from Minnow (Beth) last night, which was sitting on the dining room table, after working 14 hours and getting home around 10:30 pm.
    It was heavy!
    What an amazing selection, perfect for me since I do hybridizing.
    1. Outhouse Delight, a fertile breeding plant from Undulata (which is practically infertile) Never seen it at a nursery, I didn't figure I'd have it. Two nice separate pieces. Wow!
    2. Misty Gold, a speckled plant, looks like Montana Chirifu to me, I still have to research this one. Fantastic markings, and a huge division, almost two feet tall... Woww!
    3. Lakeside Leprechaun, a bright green one with pebbled small heart shaped cupped leaves that I want as a trait in my breeding program. 5 nice eyes growing and a tiny one trying to compete. Wowww!
    4. War Paint, the recent intro, a sport of Niagara Falls with the white center in spring, that later turns green, and it's expensive because I put off buying it. And the plant is a double division that looks like its 2 1/2 feet tall, HUGE! Wowwww!
    Beth you have made my summer with this one, it's the best ever!
    Thanks so much Beth for the thought and effort! Thanks to Kelly too for organizing this.

Dave

• minnow
    15 years ago

You are very welcome Dr Dave! I know that you would appreciate OHD & MG! Both are OS also! I have had WP for 4 years now & it has grown like a weed in full sun, so I had plenty to spare! I just found the note that I was going to include with all of the info on it for you, but you had no problem figuing it out. Enjoy! I hope that you are babying that OUD. It did not have as many roots on it as I wanted!

TTFN!

Elizabeth

• daisy_me
    15 years ago

Good evening everyone! Glad to see everyone is having so much fun with their secret trades this year. :-)

By now you should have received your trade, or received an e-mail from me letting you know it's going to be a bit late. If neither has happened, please contact me as soon as possible!

And I've still got a couple of e-mails sitting in my in-box that I need to respond to. Don't worry, I'm not ignoring anyone, but e-mail has not been arriving very quickly and it's been very sporadic, so I'm not sure what's going on with it.

Keep the posts coming, I like to see what everyone has received!

• minnow
    15 years ago

OH my! I need to apoligize to my trader Carol (Just1morehosta) ! I thought that I had already posted a thank-you! Alas it was from another trade!

She sent me 3 beautiful hosta! One huge unknown that looks to be maybe Abiqua Moonbeam, also Fire Island & June. All 3 are potted up & waiting for the heatwave we are having here to pass so I can put them in their permanant home!

Thanks again Carol! I am very happy with them!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

You are very welcome minnow,i am happy you are satisfied with my choice i send to you,my first time trading and did not know what to expect,or even how to ship a live plant.This has been fun.
    Carol

• michiana
    15 years ago

My box has arrived! And good things come to those that wait! Granny57x sent 4 wonderful hostas, nice sized divisions, all new to me.
    Royal Charm
    Orange Marmalade
    Praying Hands
    Lakeside Elfin Fire
    And that's not all! I also smelled something really good when I opened the box and I found
    African Blue Sage, Mmmm, smells fabulous
    Globe Amaranth
    Cupea Cigar Plant
    And a Double Ddecker coneflower seedling. Can't wait to see how this one blooms.

Thanks so much! I appreciate everything you sent. I hope your DH is better soon and that your shattered wrist heals quickly.

Michiana

• granny57x
    15 years ago

Hi Michiana,
    I'm so terribly sorry you didn't get your package before now.I was hoping you would at least get it by Sat.I was really worried that we were going to have to use our tracking # to find where it went.:)
    I'm very happy to hear that you liked everything and that everything arrived in good shape.
    Your very welcome and I hope I'm forgiven for my tardiness.
    Thanks for the sweet WELL WISHES.Your very kind.
    BTW,That Plant you like to smell so much isn't a sage.I must have tagged it wrong.It's an African Blue Basil.One of my very Favorites.The more sun,The Blue-er it gets.
    Enjoy!!
    I know I have!!
    Thank You Again Daisy-Me!!! For all your hard work.You've done an Awesome Job as usual!!!I'll be back next year!
    Margie((Granny57x))

• negardenfan
    15 years ago

Received my secret trade over a week ago. Finally getting a chance to send many thanks to Margo5084 for Paul's Glory, Lakeside Kaleidoscope and Frances William!! All were in great shape with many roots and well tagged. Your enclosed letter with instructions was a lovely touch. Your hostas have wonderful new homes in my garden and are welcome additions!!
    Thanks also to Daisy-Me for putting the hosta trade together. I hope to do it again next year.

negardenfan

• michiana
    15 years ago

Ooops. Sorry granny57! That was a typo, I knew it was a basil but my fingers thought otherwise. You have an email so please check your mailbox!

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

Today my secret trade arrived. I was thrilled to receive Titanic, Blue Mouse Ears, Little One, and Sea Yellow Sunrise. I did not have any of them before the trade arrived. I almost purchased Blue Mouse Ears yesterday.

Just one thing was missing. The identity of the person who sent them to me. I did not find a note or anything that would indicate the forum identity of my benefactor. There was a last name on the return address, but of course we don't know people by their last names here, usually, and I certainly would not divulge it openly in the forum.
    I can only assume that this person wants to remain anonymous.

So, whoever you are, my secret trader, please know that I am pleased as punch with the hostas you sent me. They arrived in excellent shape and I've got them soaking right now. I'll pot them up tomorrow. Two of them, Blue Mouse Ears and Titanic I had wanted for a long time, but never took the time to add them to my wish list here on Garden Web. And the other two, I'm equally tickled about. You must be psychic.

Thanks so much,

Lainey

• bragu_DSM 5
    15 years ago

Your welcome Lainey!

I hope you like them.

I do apologize they were so late because I had an Email foul-up toward memorial day.

Enjoy!

I was so thrilled with the blue mouse ears, we ordered them as inserts and wasn't sure what the roots would be like, but they'd been potted about 6 weeks, and it appears they are now retail ready!

Yay!

Dave

a.k.a. Bragu

from the birthplace of John Wayne (google it), the land of covered bridges, the home of the Delicious apple, Geo Washington Carver, the underground railway and so much more

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

Hi John,

And thanks again. The root systems on each of them was terrific. Blue Mouse Ears had a substantial root system, and very chubby roots too. You did a good job of getting them to "take off." I planted the small ones together in a big pot, perhaps I'll snap a photo and post it. I'm thrilled and I hope you enjoyed your Secret Trade as much as I did mine. Grazia, grazia.

Lainey

• zztopsoil
    15 years ago

Well I Held Back from Posting but...
    Since I Can Not Get an E-Mail Reply from Kelli Our Host...
    I'm Asking...Am I the Only Person Who...

Has NOT YET RECEIVED Their Hosta Secret Trade?

Lelan.
    (ZZ)

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lelan...
    have you heard from your trader yet??
    jill...

• zztopsoil
    15 years ago

No Jill I Have Not.
    But I Now Have Heard from Kelli.
    She is Trying to Find Out What is Going on.
    Thanks for Asking.

• daisy_me
    15 years ago

Yes, I'm still checking. I sent my 3rd and final e-mail to the person today. I'll give them a couple of days to respond, though in my searches on GW I have not found a post from them since late June so they may be MIA right now...

Don't worry Lelan, you won't be forgotten. :-)

• daisy_me
    15 years ago

Well, I've given the person an adequate amount of time to respond to my 3 e-mails. They've chosen not to. I will not publicly "out" this person as a bad trader, but you are welcome to e-mail me for the person's name and you can then make your own decision whether or not to trade with them in the future.

Lelan--watch your mail next week, you have a box coming. :-)

• zztopsoil
    15 years ago

Well...
    I Wanted to Say "Thank You" to Everyone Out There who had Offered to Send ME a Box so that I Would have Received One...but As I Told Everyone..."Thank You but No Need for a Replacement Box".

But...
    Low and Behold Dear Kelli(daisy_me) had Not Only My Name...but Plans on Sending Me a Replacement Box. I Ask Her Not to. Everything was OK...But...She Did Anyway.

I Received 2 Beautiful Hosta's and a Pulmononia(sp) from Kelli.
    A Beautiful Little Blue Mouse Ears. (very big smile) and...
    A Beautiful Winsome.
    Plus My New and Only Pulmononia(sp)-'Mrs. Moon'.

Thank You So Much Kelli!...and...
    Thank You Everyone Here...Who Wanted to Help Feed My Addiction...You are All Wonderful Examples of Great Hosta Friends.

Lelan.
    (ZZTOPSOIL)

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GREAT Lelan...

glad you weren't left out...

and that Kelli sure is amazing...

jill

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review