Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

WANTED: 2009 Hosta Secret Swap

daisy_me
14 years ago

It's that time of year again....time for the 2009 Hosta Secret Swap!

The swap is open to all U.S. GardenWeb members (there has not been enough interest in the past couple of years for a Canadian swap).

Well, here you go....

------------------------------------------

2009 Hosta Secret Swap Sign Up

If you are interested in participating in the 2009 Hosta Secret Swap you must sign up by 5/31/09. You must e-mail me with your info by midnight on the cut off date to be part of the Hosta Secret Swap. You will receive the name of the person you will be sending to by 6/2/09, giving you plenty of time to dig/divide or shop. As a reminder, its helpful if you update your exchange page so your sender knows what you have/what youÂd like.

1. The hosta secret swap is for at least ONE NAMED hosta. You are allowed to send more if you choose but you must send at least one healthy, disease free, named variety of hosta, at least one eye with sufficient roots. There has been much discussion on HVX and foliar nematodes on hosta forums. If you are suspicious of any hostas you have, please do not share those with fellow gardeners. Please only send a hosta or hostas that you would be happy to receive and plant in your garden. And of course, companion plants, garden ornaments, and garden tools are always welcome as well.

2. All secret trades must be mailed by USPS Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation Number, Fedex, or UPS. Once your package is mailed please e-mail me with your DC number or tracking number. This will be used to track the package if there is any problem with delivery.

3. All packages must be mailed out by 6/15/09. If there is an unforeseen problem getting your package out on time, please e-mail me so I can contact your secret trader. Please do not make me track you down--it only takes a minute to shoot me an e-mail. This is a "secret" trade so no one knows who is mailing to anyone else until the package is received!

4. Last, but very important, you must officially sign up to be part of this. Put "GardenWeb Hosta Secret Swap" in the subject line of your e-mail to me with this information:

Your first and last name

Your mailing address

Your user name on GardenWeb

I will e-mail you with confirmation that you are part of the Hosta Secret Swap. I will also follow up with the list of screen names of participants two days before the cutoff date for sign up. If your name isn't on the final list and you already signed up be sure to contact me immediately or you may not be a part of the Hosta Secret Swap.

I will post info on this forum about the secret swap. Please check the "Exchanges" part of the Hosta Forum frequently for updates and please only post on the "Exchanges" forum about the hosta swap. We are not allowed to post about this on the Discussions area of the Hosta Forum.

One last important note, this is always a lot of fun and we can avoid disappointment by making sure that those who sign up for the secret swap are committed to following through and mailing out their packages on time.

Let's get to swapping! :-)

Comments (27)

• pandora
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So Sorry about the Canadians, I wish there was more interest.

I cannot resist..... I'm in.
    PM on it's way.

Pan

• zztopsoil
    14 years ago

I'm Signing Up.
    Mailing Information has been Sent.
    Thanks Kelli.

ZZ.

• maidofshade
    14 years ago

Email on the way. Thanks Kelli!

Cheryl

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Sending my info too! THanks for organizing this!

Alexa

• mjjones453
    14 years ago

I am signing Up! yeah! and Thank you, Mary

• threedogsmom
    14 years ago

I am in... thank you for organizing this ! It will be my first online swap so I am excited !

• threedogsmom
    14 years ago

Can you post details on how to package hostas for shipping ? Basically, should you cut all the leaves back to stalks and roots before shipping, or do you leave the leaves on, no matter how big the leaves are ? You know how they cut daylily foliage to a fan shape of 5-6" tall, I was wondering if you cut back the hosta foliage like that too ? Thanks for any pointers form people who have successfully shipped their plants ! I want to make sure my secret person gets everything in tip-top shape !!

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

No, you shouldn't cut the leaves off. Dividing the hosta will be a shock to the plant and cutting off leaves will be more. Wash any soil off the roots, wrap a wet paper towel around the roots and then wrap saran wrap around the paper towel so it stays moist. Lay the hosta on a couple sheets of
    newspaper and roll the hosta in the paper, and secure with tape, and label. FYI, the PO has free 30" tube boxes and they usually cost the same weightwise as a regular priority box would.
    Pam

• bragu_DSM 5
    14 years ago

I'm in again as well.

^_^

dkB

• Lee
    14 years ago

Sending my info too and thks.

Lee

• grdnnkd
    14 years ago

I'll play here too. A PM is on the way.

• pandora
    14 years ago

Hi Threedogsmom,
    Caliloo posted this tutorial in the FAQ. It was made by Seedseller1.

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry this post is late, but as you all probably know I couldn't get into my post last night either...

The current list of participants is as follows:

newhostaaddict
    annzn5
    woodthrush
    zztopsoil
    pandora
    Mike in Minneapolis
    timhensley
    maidofshade
    caliloo
    whitewater
    mjjones453
    bernergarden
    joan_h
    plantbug
    gregory2327
    threedogsmom
    botanybabe
    woodnative
    adctd2hostas
    frdshox3
    omoelegba
    bragu
    Drew Featherstone
    melati
    grdnnkd

If you've e-mailed me and are not on this list, please contact me immediately. If you are not on this list and want to still get in on the fun, e-mail me by Sunday 5/31 at midnight CST!

Thanks! :-)

• mareas
    14 years ago

Hooray, I didn't miss this year's swap! I've sent you an email, daisy_me, with my info.

MaidofShade, your blue seedling is just ravishing this year! Thanks again!

Thanks for hosting, daisy,
    Marea

• maozamom NE Ohio
    14 years ago

I want in. I'll e-mail information now.

mao

• wildflower59
    14 years ago

count me in please
    wild

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The final list...

newhostaaddict
    annzn5
    woodthrush
    zztopsoil
    pandora
    Mike in Minneapolis
    timhensley
    maidofshade
    caliloo
    whitewater
    mjjones453
    bernergarden
    joan_h
    plantbug
    gregory2327
    threedogsmom
    botanybabe
    woodnative
    adctd2hostas
    frdshox3
    omoelegba
    bragu
    Drew Featherstone
    melati
    grdnnkd
    mareas
    mao tse mom
    vawildflower
    steph98
    minnow
    platy
    glendolyn
    daisy_me

If you e-mailed me and don't see your name on this list, please contact me immediately! I plan to have e-mails out to everyone Monday evening/Tuesday morning with their secret swap partner.

If you have not updated your exchange page, now is a good time to do so. It's always helpful if your secret swap partner has an idea of what you have/what you want. For the one person who was not a GW member when he signed up, please become a member, create a list, and e-mail me your GW name, or at the very least e-mail me a list of what you have so I can pass it on to your secret swap partner.

Let the fun begin!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry folks, but your e-mails with your swap partners will be arriving a little late--Tuesday evening at the latest. Life got in the way today and I wasn't able to get it done. :-(

Keep an eye on your inbox Tuesday evening!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK folks, check your inbox! If you don't have an e-mail from me please let me know. :-)

-Kelli

• minnow
    14 years ago

Well rats! My tradee has no list at all, so this will be hard for me to decide what to send! I have searced all of their posts & I have only found one clue as to what to send!

I will be out today digging, so someone up North of me should be expecting a USPS Priority box on Tuesday or Wednesday!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    14 years ago

I'm in the same position. Hopefully that means anything would be welcome.

mao

• plantbug
    14 years ago

Kelli,

My goodie box hit the air waves TODAY and I will be sending you the confirmation number tonight. I hope all recipients report back with their surprises. Thank you Kelli for organizing this fun. plantbug

• Lee
    14 years ago

My box went out this afternoon too.. West of ME lol!!!!

• frdshox3
    14 years ago

Where do I find my tradee's wish list?

• minnow
    14 years ago

frdshox3, just click on their name & look at their page. They should also have a trade list or a want list. Most of us old timers just have a list of what we have, which is also helpful for your trader. Good Luck!

• mareas
    14 years ago

I got my box winging it's way East to it's secret destination this morning ;-)

• gregory2327
    14 years ago

I got my Hostas today - thank you Annzn5!!!!!
    Ann was gracious enough to send me three beautiful Hostas that I really wanted; Earth Angel, Sagae, Blue Umbrella's.
    Ann also sent three tall metal tags for me to use because she somehow had a preminition that I don't mark plants very well!

Thank you Ann.

My package is going out west today (west of NH is pretty relative)!

Sponsored