Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

UPDATE: 2007 Hosta Secret Swap

daisy_me
16 years ago

I've got 39 people on the list so far (including myself).....

If you don't see your name below and have sent me a sign up e-mail, please e-mail me immediately!

If you don't see your name below and would like to, please e-mail me no later than midnight CST 5/16!

Now here's the list.....

aka_margo

bragu

caliloo

cathgreen

cfmuehling

cindy528

davej_07

daylilylover

diggetydig

dirtdivarocks

flower_power_nc

flowersformyfarm

gardengal101

granny57

grdnnkd

hostabuff

hostapumpkinman

indyrose

just_one_more

keithrnjd

kymmieann

lori79

lykaon78

lynnda

lynnem

maidofshade

mareas

melati

michiana

mjjones453

newhostaaddict

steph98

takingroot

teresa_ohio

timhensley

twin_too

wbloonatic

zztopsoil

Comments (59)

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

So, I wrote tooooooo fast.

Once I sat down to pot my new hosta from Lynnda, I was shocked. First, to find the Ventusa had 9, nine, yes NINE divisions in it.

Then, under the packing, I found her note. I don't know if Lynnda is receiving GardenWeb email, so if you're not? The Embroidery was the first to catch my eye, with its beautiful margins. Thank you for tailoring the hosta to suite my profile.

So on that note, once again, this is an amazing trade, my Santa-ette is incredible, and I'm going to think of this every time I puruse my lovely gardens.

Thank you, all.

Christine

• dirtdiva
    16 years ago

zztopsoil (love your name) I'm so glad you are pleased!!

Thank you timhensley! I received my box today and WOW!! The roots on these plants are awesome!! I received illicit affair and midwest magic. This has been a very fun swap, thanks for all the time and thought you put into this Kelli.

Cheryl (dirtdivarocks)

• newhostaaddict
    16 years ago

received my trade today.....from mjjones453

i received fine,,,mult-eyed,,,divisions of Devon Blue,,,Hadspen Samphire,,,and Veronica Lake....

none of which i have....thanks so much....they look GREAT...

jill

thanks so much keli for putting this together again...

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad everyone is having such a good time with this swap!

For those getting nervous....remember that Monday is a holiday and I for one decided to wait to ship until Tuesday to avoid having my package sit an extra day while the post office was closed....I know it's hard, but try to be patient. :-)

Well, MY BOX ARRIVED! I received a completely stuffed box from Lori79 yesterday. What a great surprise! She didn't send her confirmation number so I wouldn't know when it was coming! Sneaky!!

I received from her Venusta (so cute!), Zager's White Edge, Pacific Blue Edger, Blue Cadet, and Daylily 'Primal Scream'. Despite my severely out of date list she managed to pick ones I didn't have! And beautiful ones at that. The daylily (in the pictures I looked up) is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks again Lori, my package was great!!!!!!!

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

Mine is going out tomorrow. I am excited to hear from my tradee.

Sally

• lynnem
    16 years ago

Mine are dug, will be packaged tonight, and off they go tomorrow.

• lynnda
    16 years ago

Haven't received email from you. I tried to email you back from the gardenweb but am getting some internal server error when I try to contact you from your page. I'm glad you liked what I sent. Hope they grow well for you. Lynnda

• WBLOONATIC
    16 years ago

received my secret trade today
    from gardengal101 i received special gift.
    thank you for the hosta.

wbloonatic
    john

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

I received my package today from flower-power-nc. I got nice healthy divisions of Blue Mouse Ears (that I came soooo close to buying last week) as well as Summer Music and Sun Power.

Thanks so much, Debbie, and thanks to you, Kelli for putting this all together!

Sally

• Lee
    16 years ago

Mailed today ... hope she like them :)

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My package went out yesterday....heading southeast....delivery confirmation number is....oh come on, did you really think I would? Hee hee!

Hope my pal is pleased when they receive it!

• kymmieann
    16 years ago

Hmmmmmmm...........package went out this morning...going a bit south west of me, I think. Not good with directions.

Kymmie

• mareas
    16 years ago

***This is SO fun! Thanks for posting everyone!***

• cindy528
    16 years ago

I was doing the Happy Hosta Dance when I got home today and saw the mail. Thank you LynneM for the beautiful hostas. They arrived in great shape and are getting a nice long drink while I get ready to dig their new homes. Lynne sent me:
    Waving Wuffles
    Scooter
    Emerald Necklace especially nice since emeralds are my birthstone :)
    Sweet Bo Peep.

Just a quick question since I'm not familiar with these, will they do better in some sun because I'm running out of shade lol. I read that the all green ones do good in the sun.

• TakingRoot
    16 years ago

Yes....I did do the last minute thing but I was trying to stuff the box full.......MINE WENT OUT TODAY!
    Hope my partner like's everything!

Can't get enough of those HOSTA'S.....

THANKS........ daisy_me FOR HOSTING....SO MUCH FUN....!

Jaye (takingroot)

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

My package arrived, my package arrived!! I am so excited!
    My husband almost fainted when I just kept pulling hosta after hosta out of the box!

Thank you SO MUCH CFMuehling!!! You and the hostas are awesome!

In the box were:
    Lakeside Kaleidoscope
    Queen Josephine
    Blonde Elf
    Tiny Tears
    Lemon Lime
    Little Po Po
    Ginko Craig
    Ventusa

• teresa_ohio
    16 years ago

I mailed my package today, so my pal should have it in a couple days! Thanks! Teresa

• lynnem
    16 years ago

Cindy, I'm glad they arrived safely! I think that waving wuffles may take more sun, and emerald necklace and sweet bo peep have a heavier substance, they may do well also. Not sure about Scooter, I've always had that one in mostly shade.

• gardengal101
    16 years ago

Glad you liked your hosta wbloonatic, I thought the name was appropriate for this. Mine should be here any day now, can't wait!!!

• lynnem
    16 years ago

I received my Secret Trades from both the Hallson Swap and the Gardenweb swap, today!!!!! It's just like Christmas! Both of my swappers sent nice notes,but didn't id which trade it was... now I could do some research, but I'm just going to thank both of them on both forums!

From Mike Huber in Minnesota, I received a beautiful Queen Josephine! and to make things even better, Mike also sent me some homemade plant markers which are just fantastic! I will post pictures of these later this evening. I am so inspired by these, that I think I will try this idea myself.

And from Laura Sakos, I received Bluebell, Winsome, Louisa, maraschino Cherry, Royal Standard, and one unnamed that I believe is Queen Josephine. (Only reason I can say that with some assurance is the similarity it has to the one from Mike) AND, a "crackling rosie" begonia. No worries about any duplicates as my oldest daughter just bought a house, and she's been eyeballing my hostas for weeks now!

Mike and Laura, thanks to both of you for a great trade!!!

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Jennifer!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed your package. I was excited and really hoped you would.

I realized later that Lemon Lime was on your haves list, but eh! Share it, right? :)

It's really nice to be able to share. My gardens wouldn't be what they are today without others.

Enjoy, enjoy!
    Christine

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Christine,
    I have them all planted and watered in. I had the perfect spot for the Lakeside Kaleidoscope!! It is now brightening up a very shady corner of my garden. I am going to share the Lemon Lime, I'm sure my Mom doesn't have it yet!
    Thanks again!!!
    Jen

• steph98
    16 years ago

Yeah. My package arrived today. I was amazed to find four great new hostas:
    Baby Bunting
    Yellow Boa
    Inniswood and
    Grand Prize
    Grand Prize is a very fitting name. I feel like that's what I won.
    Thanks so much Lee, you outdid yourself!
    Steph98

• mareas
    16 years ago

My box from KEITHRNJD arrived today & it must be Christmas!!
    I am now the proud & deleriously happy caretaker of:
    KROSSA REGAL
    LEMON LIME
    TOM SCHMIDT
    and a really pretty "unknown" blue one!
    She went overboard and also sent me two more plants from my wishlist:
    'Constitution' canna AND a very cool little ground cover, Ledebouria Cooperi 'Jess'.
    Thank you a zillion, Sally!!
    Marea

• Cathgreen
    16 years ago

Many thanks to Daylily Lover for great divisions of Sunshine Glory and Guacamole! They will find a very happy home here in NH! They arrived in great condition and are having a little soak before I plant them tonight.

• Lee
    16 years ago

I too received my secret trade box yesterday! John from LI sent me 5 very nice sized hostas and all of them are new to me...
    Fatal Attraction
    Green Lama
    Pee Dee Gold Flash
    Blonde Elf
    Emma
    thank you so much John! and thanks to Kelli for organizing the swap!

• lynnda
    16 years ago

Got mine today! Pam sendt Baby Bunting, Allen P McConnell, Thumbelina, and Stiletto. I love them all and they will make wonderful additions to my collection. Thanks so much for sending small ones, just what I wanted!! And Thanks too to the Swap Organizers, this is the second year I've joined in and it's so much fun.

• kymmieann
    16 years ago

Got my secret trade today. Thank you so much Hostapumpkinman...I recieved 3 Hostas from Phil he sent beautiful healthy specimans. Swirls, Lakeside Sparkle Plenty and Northern Halo. None which I had. I am obsessed with Lakesides so that added to that collection nicely, Swirls well no one could ever have too many streakers and I have no idea why I havnt gotten Northern Halo but after seeing this Hosta in person NO ONE should be without it!!!!
    Phil they were great picks and I will enjoy them forever. Thanks for all of them but especially for opening my eyes to show me how gorgeous Norhtern Halo is!!!!
    Also wanna thank Daisy for another job WELL DONE!!
    Kymmie

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Woooooooo hoooooooooo! My package arrived from Indyrose and what a great package it is!

Golden Meadows - not familiar with this one so off to the HL
    Green Gold - another classic that I didn't have
    Blue Cadet - love the small blue ones!

And 2 huge chunks of a dark purple Sib Iris, 'Ceasers Brother'

Everybody is having a little drink while I plan out where to put them.

THanks again Indyrose - they are all super!

Alexa

• TakingRoot
    16 years ago

I received my secret swap partner's box and it had 3 great hosta's to add to my collection:

X-rated
    Faithful Heart
    Lakeside Kaleidoscope

all were just awesome.....and an extra big bonus plant of a Brunnera called Jack Frost. Thanks to my secret pal Daisy for sharing these with me...I know I will enjoy them for years to come!
    Daisy/Kelli....Thanks for organizing this swap...I'm glad I could be a part of the fun!

• mjjones453
    16 years ago

Wow this is so much fun! Thank you Jaye for the package of goodies! I didn't get out hosta shopping yet this year, so this is such a delight! Jaye sent me H. Big Daddy, H. Diana Remembered, H. Leola Fraim, and a cute little Noid. Not only hosta, but she also sent me to Sedums - Autumn Joy, and Blue Spruce, a Canna - Florence Vaughn, and Light Lavendar Iris! I get to go plant! Yeah! Thank you so much Jaye, and also a big thank you to Daisie Me! Thanks again! Mary

• michiana
    16 years ago

My trade came also! Diggetydig sent me 5 wonderful hostas which were all new to me.
    Lakeside Babyface
    Cheatin Heart
    Sparkling Burgundy
    Moonlight Sonata
    Yellow Splash Rim
    They are all soaked and planted in the ground. We have rain in the forcast so this was perfect timing! Thanks so much for your generosity Vicki, and a special thanks to Daisy_Me for hosting again this year.

• diggetydig
    16 years ago

Hello Cathy!!

I was out of town all weekend and came home to find 4 beautiful additions to my gardens. Thank you for your generosity!!!!! I haven't had so much fun in ages. New additions,Sparkling burgundy, Wheaton blue, Sweetie, and (hope I am spelling this correctly) Kifukurin Ko Mame are all safe and in the ground!!!!

Thanks again for the wonderful gifts.

Thanks Kelli for all the work

Vicki

• gardengal101
    16 years ago

Yippy, Yippy, my secret trade came!! I received from Robyn (Hostabuff):
    Chantilly Lace
    Limey Lisa
    Golden Prayers
    Heart and Soul
    Thank you so much Robyn, they are beautiful! A big thanks to Kelli too!

Heather (Gardengal101)

• indyrose
    16 years ago

Yee-Haw! I feel like I hit the jackpot!! Six hostas, including "Toy Soldier," and a clump of ribbon grass.

Thank you so much ZZTOPSOIL!

My package arrived just at the right time on Saturday, as I was preparing a new pot-garden under my big maple tree. The hostas went into the pots immediately and will stay there for at least a year. (I always put new acquisitions in pots under that maple, which is pretty much what zztopsoil recommended anyway!)

The secret swap is great! Thanks to all.

Indyrose

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Everyone is receiving some really great plants. Good to see it.

By now, your box should be on the way to you, received, or you should have received an e-mail from me notifying you that it would be sent late. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT RECEIVE A BOX PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I can't fix it if I don't know it's broke. ;-)

• granny57
    16 years ago

Thank You Kimmieann!!!
    What a WONDERFUL and FUN SURPRISE!!!
    I wish you could have seen my GRIN SMACKIN FACE when I opened the box you sent me.
    Everyone; Kimmieann gave me Christmas in June.Not only did she send 6 Hostas((None of which I had))But they were in Sweet little CHRISTMAS socks and stuffed with;
    HALLYS DAZZLER
    AMBER TIARA
    SILVER EAGLE
    EMERALD& RUBIES
    LITTLE STIFFY and BLUE MOUSE EARS,WHICH I have wanted ever since I heard about it.Thank You so very kindly.I love them all.You did a GREAT JOB!!Plus as an extra Bonus,2 sweet little wire bird houses.Just Darling.You out did yourself.I am very lucky to have such a generous swapper.
    And everything was so nice and neatly boxed and labled!!
    I have the perfect spot for them!!!
    Thank You Again Kimmieann,
    And Thank You Kelli for letting me participate.You've done an outstanding job pulling this together!!
    So Much Fun!!!!
    Margie((Granny57))

• teresa_ohio
    16 years ago

Hi there!
    My box came today!! Yippee! From Dave (bragu) I received 4 wonderful hostas. I love them all and they are all new to me. This is what all he sent:
    Dorset Blue
    Purple Lady Fingers (esp loving this one)
    Viette's Yellow Edge
    Midnight Ride
    Thank you soooo much Dave! I've had a hard week and this helped brighten my day!

I haven't heard whether my pal received his box yet. DC said it arrived, so I'm hoping it did arrive safely and he enjoyed them. Thank you Kelli also for hosting this swap! Teresa

• just_one_more
    16 years ago

Theresa, it's funny you just posted, because i was in the middle of writing this!

I did receive my hosta's on Sat! Thank you sooo much! I did not have any of the 3.

Theresa_Ohio sent me a

Northern Exposer
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Serendipity

I planted them yesterday, and they look great!

this was a lot of fun, and i will be in for next year for sure.

Mike from Minneapolis

• teresa_ohio
    16 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I'm so glad they arrived ok and that you liked them. Thanks so much for letting me know! Enjoy! Teresa

• kymmieann
    16 years ago

Margie,
    I was sooooo worried you wouldnt like what I sent or that I sent ones you already had. The only one I knew you didnt have and wanted was Blue Mouse Ears.
    Im so happy you did like everything. I love adding extra special stuff to the trade.
    Thanks again Kelli
    Cant wait for the next one.
    Kymmie

• twin_too
    16 years ago

Yeah, I got my package right before I left for work this morning!! Of course I had to stay home a little longer and open it up. I got four wonderful hostas from Stardust!

I got a VERY nice size Sum and Substance, Inaho (WOW, a streaker), Pearl Lake (tried to buy this one once, but it was sold out), and Chartreuse Wiggles (Love, Love, love the little ones).

Thanks for the hostas Denise, and thanks Kelli for organizing the swap!!!

-Pam

• granny57
    16 years ago

Kammieann,
    So sorry you worried your self over what to send.It wouldn't matter if I did have any of the same ones.It's the thought that counts.And the thought of me ever receiving a Blue Mouse Ears Hosta through a secret swap or coming across one never entered my mind.I will cherish it!!I have looked everywhere, and wanted one for so very long I can't even tell you.I am very pleased with everything,But ESPECIALLY with the Mouse Ears.
    Thanks Again!!
    Loved the goodies!!!
    Look forward to doing it again.
    Margie((Granny57))

• lori79
    16 years ago

Today I received my hosta from the secret trade. Cindy528 sent me Sum and Substance and Elegans. I don't already have Elegans, so I'll be sure to find a special place for it in the garden. Both plants were nice big eyes with large root balls. Thanks Cindy!!

• hostapumpkinman
    16 years ago

I recieved my package yesterday afternoon from Brian AKA grddnkd.I recieved three hostas :Invincible,Pilgrim and Savannah Supreme.All three are appreciated especially Savannah Supreme,which looks like it will be an interesting addition to my collection.Thanks Brian!
    Phil

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Michiana, What does Sparkling Burgundy look like?

And Golden Prayers? Oh, there are so many.

So.
    When can we do this again? Do you need a rest, Ms. Special Daisy_Me? :)

Thanks to all. I'm just thrilled.

Sincerely,
    Christine

• cindy528
    16 years ago

Hi Lori,

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them. I had qualms about shipping them with the big leaves so I am glad they arrived okay.
    Cindy

• daylilylover
    16 years ago

I received a wonderfully stuffed full box today from Granny 57! Thank you, thank you!!!! It was all things I did not have and I can't wait to plant them! They're getting a little drink now.

• granny57
    16 years ago

Daylilylover,
    I am so glad your pleased with your package.
    So I take it I Am forgiven for my tardiness??!!.
    I hope everything arrived in good condition.
    Happy Planting!!!
    Margie((Granny57))

• flower_power_nc
    16 years ago

I receieved from my secret pal Dave 07.
    I got Ghost Spirit healthy.
    And I received a little streaker.
    Thank you very much.
    A big thanks to Keli for hosting the
    swap for another year.
    Hope everyone has a great summer planning.
    Debbie

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz