Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschnauzies

WANTED: Anybody Up For A Mystery & Garden Art Swap??

sheilaschnauzies
13 years ago

I just finished moving from Missouri back to Nebraska the first of May. The many dozens of plants I moved (mostly hosta) are happily growing in their new beds. My garden art is... Well, never mind what the movers did.

Anyway I was thinking it would be fun to have a mystery hosta trade unnamed varieties!!) because I have so many pretty ones that have moved and lost name tags etc. Also wouldn't it be fun to include a little garden art gift just for fun.

If anyone is interested please post here and let me know your thoughts. Happy gardening!!

Comments (32)

• angel2008
    13 years ago

I would be interested in joining this fun exchange. We never can have enough hostas, named or noids. ..especially if your a newbie like me. I really do like the idea of including a "garden gift" with the trade.
    Corinne

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Sounds like fun to me.Count me in.
    Margie

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Looks like we are the only ones to take intrest in this swap.I say lets do it between the three of us.All three of us can send each one 3 trades.It will be fun to see what happens.We each should get 6 Hostas each if I'm doing the math correct.
    Just a thought.
    Margie

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Just sent you a email with all my info. Thanks for doing this swap. It sounds like fun and will be interesting to see what we get.
    Corinne

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Sheila, Corinne,
    I'm excited to do this with you both,I think it will be fun.My info is on it's way.
    I have lost so many of my tags from previous years and maybe by doing this mystery swap someone can come up with a name.Who Knows? Yeah!! Who Knows!!LOL No Pun Intended!!
    Margie

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Sheila,
    I can't seem to email you because it says the default mail client is not properly installed.I don't know if that means me or you.I'm not a computer geek like the rest of my family.So I will try to email Corrine my address and she can forward it to you if that's ok.I had another person named Cathy I tried to email and the same message popped up.What's up with that?
    I will post my info on line if I have to, But I'd rather not.
    Margie

• catbirdsue
    13 years ago

Ill play if you have the room.

Cathy

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

ok
    now i'm confused
    is this for plants?? or art??
    jill

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Jill, This exchange is for noid hosta's ...and we all are going to include a little garden art gift item with our plants. Hope this help you understand it.
    Corinne

• sheilaschnauzies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Cathy and Jill! We have already made plans to do our three-person exchange so hope we can catch you on the next one!! Thanks for your interest tho!! Happy gardening, -Sheila

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

hey
    no problem
    got busy in the berry patch anyway
    maybe next time
    jill

• angel2008
    13 years ago

OMG, I just had Christmas in July...thank you so much Margie for everything you sent. Plants all arrives in beautiful condition despite the hot weather we have been having.

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Hi Corrine,
    I'm so happy you received your package and everything was in great shape and from your private email to me you liked everything I sent.
    I also received your package to me on Monday and just now had a chance to post. Thank You so much for the 3 hostas you sent and the Beautiful Garden Flag. I will cherish it.I will look forward to doing this swap again next year.
    It's been nice chatting with you!!!
    Margie

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Margie, Glad you liked the garden flag, and glad to hear the hostas have perked up after this heatwave we have been having, and sitting in the PO over the weekend..so much for priority shipping and 2 days :.)Its been great chatting with you as well, its fun "meeting" friends who have the same interest..hostas! I look forward to the exchanges again as well.
    Corinne

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Margie, I was just wondering if you heard anything from our host--Sheila? I am having problems with her emails going thru, and I know you were having problems as well, when we first joined this exchange. As of today, I still havent received anything from her or heard from her. I do know she received my box. I just hope everything is OK with her.

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Hi Corinne,
    No, I haven't heard a thing from her since I emailed her almost 2 weeks ago on a Monday to see if she received the package I sent to her and should have gotten the Saturday before. She emailed me back that same night((Monday)) and said she did get it on Saturday but was to busy to post anything because of company.
    She also said she liked everything I sent and it was like Christmas in July.I stuffed the package full and said she was sending out hers that week.That was like I said; Almost 2 weeks ago.
    Surely she would or someone would let us know if something happened to her and if she's ok or not.
    I'm not sure what the deal is. But I guess on swaps you never know.Sometimes you win some and you lose some.I wonder which one we are, Winners or Losers???

• angel2008
    13 years ago

I would have to say right now..we are losers. I am hoping as well that nothing is wrong, but dont you think if something came up she would of told one of us? In the few emails I have received from her, she told me in all of them she was sending our boxes out of that week, that was starting with the weekend after July 4. Then the last time I heard form her, which was about 2 weeks ago, she said she would be getting them out that week. The deadline was the 15th, and I personally dont think it looks good for someone who is hosting any swap to do this, and not at least keep in touch, at least we wouldnt feel like losers..LOL..I dont know what to think, and like I said. I dont know if my emails are all going thru to her, I have received a few back as undeliverable. I know she said she really liked my garden flag as well as the 3 hostas I sent to her. I dont like to think the worst but geezeeeeee. Sheila if your reading this, would you please let us know what is going on, and if we can expect to receive your box of goodies or not. If there is a problem we will definitely understand. Hoping all is well, and sure hoping to hear from you one way or the other.

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Hi Corinne,
    I think we can chalk this one up to a lesson learned.An expensive one at that, For me anyway.I always try to think the best in everyone, But this time may be the exception.
    I've stopped looking for anything and don't expect to hear anything either on line or other wise.But one good thing has come out of it,I've made a good friend from all of this,On line and on the phone. I look forward to hearing from you over the weekend.
    At least we know we can trade and deliver.:)
    Have a good one!!
    Margie

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Ladies,
    I am sorry to see this has happened to you. After seeing the end result in this swap I did some looking around online and emailed her myself to see if she would respond to a person that she did not know. I used an email address that I don't use on the gardening forums to email her. I sent her the email yesterday and asked her if she was still into the Schnauzer Rescue. She responded the same day and said yes.

At the very least she owes you a response and an apology for not following through with her end of your swap. I also did a search in the "Rate & Review Exchanges" Forum on here and only found one positive rating for her from two years ago.

Over on DG, ZZTopsoil is currently hosting another secret hosta swap in the hosta forum if you would be interested in joining in. I was in his last one and in Daisy_meÂs & CatbirdsueÂs secret hosta swaps over here.

I would like to extend an offer to the two of you. I have a lot of extra named hostas sitting around in pots and I would like to send you each a box full of them. I do not ask for anything in return or even postage. I would just like to do something nice for you to help make your day a little brighter. You can email me at franknjim@comcast.net .

Frank

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Frank. You are a very considerate and caring person. I just sent you a email.You definitely made my day , and I know you made Margies day as well..
    Corinne

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Hi Frank,

When I sent you an email this morning,I didn't think to post here til just now. I was so in Awe of your kindness I just quickly went to get in touch with Corinne and fill her in on what you had posted .
    It's so comforting to know there are such Wonderful and Beautiful people out there like yourself, Who care enough to go the extra mile.You couldn't have made my day any BRIGHTER then you already have and I know how delighted Corinne is!!!Your one of the BEST!!
    Thank You so very much.Your a Blessing to us all!!!
    Margie

• suzy_q_granny
    13 years ago

Hi,
    This happened to me 2 years ago , I made a plant exchange of named daylilies, she had fernleaf bleeding hearts and other stuff I was looking for and I sent my box out and never did receive anything from her ? I found her address and even sent her a letter, then a invoice for what she received from me ????
    Nothing..
    It sure ruins the fun of an exchange when you have to worry if someone is honest or not....
    Thanks for listening....

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Frank, I wanted to give you a big heartfelt THANK YOU from both Margie and myself. Margie is having a hard time logging in and I am on the phone with her as I type this. Your plants all arrived in excellent shape, and I have already planted them. They are happy campers with all this rain we have been having. You have definitely made our day bright.

• franknjim
    13 years ago

You are very welcome. Both of you received the same four plus each of you received two that the other didn't get so when they multiply you can share those with each other. Feel free to email me anytime if you have any questions.

Frank

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

a BIG thank you to Sheila for NOT allowing me in this trade...i have had enough of the bad trades already...

frank,,,that was very NICE of you to step in and be Santa...

jill

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Finally!!!
    Hi Frank,
    I have been trying to get into this site ever since yesterday when I received your package of Beautiful Hostas and couldn't wait to post on the thread, And was so Bummed when I couldn't.I wanted to let you and everyone else know what a true Gentleman you are and a Man of your Word.What a wonderful gift you sent.
    You have to be the Nicest and Kindest man I have never met!!!:)
    I love all the Hostas,Especially the Little Patriot and Peradigm. They all were in Beautiful Condition and packed so very nicely.
    You not only Brightened my day, But you made it Exciting!!!

I received ;
    Red October
    Golden Sceptor
    Peradigm
    Golden Tiera
    Limon Lime
    Little Patriot
    I can't wait to get them planted when it gets cooler out.
    Thank You so Very Much Frank!!!
    You are what makes the swap's so much FUN!!
    I'm so Proud to be in the same company and share the same interest as you and all the other True Hosta Lovers.But Mostly With Warm and Generous People Like Yourself!!
    Thanks Again,
    Margie
    PS,I can't forget to Thank My New Friend Corinne for all the help she gave me when I needed it most.
    Thank You Corinne!!!

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Frank,
    I think Corinne and I shamed Sheila into following through with her end of the swap. We finally received a package from her.Even though we did receive something back from her it was Bittersweet. She took all the FUN and JOY out of it. I wasn't THRILLED about it like I should have been because of all we went through to get it, But at least she did finally send something.
    I don't like to bash anyone in the Hosta Swap's or Otherwise,She may very well be a really nice person, In person, But I think for my part I will defere from anything she will Host in the future.
    I wanted to make sure you knew so I could send you your plants back with deep regret.I love everyone of them,But you sent them to us with the thought that we weren't going to receive anything in return. I don't want to keep anything from a Kind and Generous Soul on false pretense.
    From what I have gotten to know of Corinne over these past couple months through this, I know she would feel the same way.
    And as Jill Put it;
    You were our Santa, And No one wants to be on the Naughty List:)
    Especially Me!!!
    Thank You Frank,
    Margie

• angel2008
    13 years ago

To everyone following this exchange... we finally heard from Sheila, I was relieved to hear that nothing had happened to her or her health. I received 4 hostas,but all except one small one,were in a horrible dried out condition, I dont know what could of went wrong, since she had a tracking number on them...and they had only been in transport for 2-3 days. THere was no moisture at all on anything. The garden art she sent was nice. I just dont seem to have the normal excitment, I always felt about this exchange because I feel like we forced her to go thru with it. Alot of this could of been avoided if she would kept in contact with us, but instead the email I received just said the boxes would be sent out July 5th. We honestly would of understood Sheila, but you left us no option but to think the worst.
    Frank, I feel so guilty now that you have sent us the beautiful plants you did.I dont want you to think we were trying to take advantage of you, by accepting your wonderful offer to us. That said..if you would like us to reimberse you for your plants or return your generous offer please let us know. I know I can speak for Margie as well as myself on this. We honestly didnt expect to hear anything from Sheila.
    If there is one thing I would like everyone to remember if and when you do a "bad" trade...something good will come out of it..its called friendship,that would come in the form of anyone who comes to your defense in your situation. I am proud to say, I have made 2 wonderful new friends ..Margie and Frank. The hosta community is truly a very special community of some wonderful people, so dont let one bad experience spoil it for you. (((hugs))) to all and have a great day!

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

well....YEAHHHH....i think the lesson here is we need to communicate more...somehow,,,someway...if your computer doesn't work...there is always a friend,,,or the library...

sheila,,,i know you will feel better for coming through...

anywho...margie and corinne...just toss those hostas in a pail of water and give the roots a good soak for a day or two,,,just keep the crowns above the water...

and i wouldn't send Santa back his hostas....but if you wanted to...you could send him some others,,,kindof a secret trade itself

and margie,,,start watching your mail,,,my side of our trade is on the way,,hopefully there by saturday

jill

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Gosh Corinne,
    If I wasn't the other person in on this swap with you, I think I would have cried after reading your post:) And Jill's YEAHHHH!!!
    I felt bad having to say anything at all about the trade that's been talked about,I feel better now.I'm sure we're all feeling better about this whole thing,And I don't know about anyone else, But I'm ready to move on and enjoy the next swap. And Suzy Q Granny((Are we related??)) Kidding! Hopefully you will find you will always have an ear to listen and friends to share, On this forum or any other Garden Forum.
    Thanks Jill,
    Your right about one BIG THING HERE, COMMUNICATION!!!!
    I'll be on the lookout. I'm still without a car at this moment with the promise of a fixed one tomorrow.I should have my package to you in the mail Sat, If I'm lucky . Monday for sure.I will keep you informed.
    Being without a car is the PITTS!!But having a COMPUTER AND A PHONE takes the sting out a little bit:)

Margie

• franknjim
    13 years ago

The hostas I sent were a gift from me to the two of you. I did it because I saw an opportunity to do something nice for someone. Things lined up in just the right way that I would see this thread and happened to have many extra hostas just sitting around in pots and I have the resources to do what I did.

Do not feel bad that you did get something from Sheila and from me. She had emailed me a second time before I sent the boxes out and had told me she was going to send something to the two of you.

Just think, since we are all 3 in the other secret hosta swap on DG, one or more of use could get partnered with the other!

Frank

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Thanks Frank,
    Your gifts will have a Happy Home in my flower beds and I will Forever Remember your Kindness.
    And your right, One or more of us could be partnered up in the Secret Hosta Swap on DG. Wouldn't that be a TREAT!!
    Thanks for sharing that info with us. I would never have known about it otherwise.
    Stay as you are Frank.Your one in a Million!!!
    Margie

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!