Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: hosta to trade

Posted by alanis NE IA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 8, 06 at 17:22

was wondering how do you prepare a hosta for shipping by mail? How does it stay alive when it's a bare root?

I'd be interested in doing a trade.

I have Guacamole, Summer Breeze, Old Glory, Plantaginea, August Moon.

Would like: Blue mouse ears, baby bunting, eskimo pie, aristocrat

I live in tristate area...IA,IL,WI...so would consider meeting for a trade too.

I hope I didn't break any rules posting all of this here.

Thanks!
alanis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: hosta to trade

Don't feel bad about asking. We all have to learn! I rinse off my plants then I lay the roots on two layers of paper towels. Cover the roots in fresh potting soil then wrap up the roots with the paper towels and place are rubber band around the top. I then dip them in fresh water, place them in plastic sandwich bag and put another rubber band around the outside, with a popsicle/craft stick with the plant i.d. I then put the entire plant inside a plastic grocery bag and roll it carefully and place it it a box for shipping.

Hope this helps. Also, I would be interested in your Old Glory and your Summer Breeze. I will check my blue mouse ears and aritocrat. See my trade list and let me know if there is something else you may be interested in. Thanks, Jane

o

hi...

i would love to have summer breeze...i have aristocrat...jill

o

Don't have anything to trade right now, but you can see an excellent tutorial for dividing and shipping hostas here. This was put together by one of the forum members (weed30 - thanks again!).

~Angie

o

I don't have the varieties that your looking for, but I am interested in Summer Breeze and Plantaginea. Look through my trade list and see if anything strikes your fancy. Email me if so gaterry@cri-mms.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here