Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

2010 Hosta Secret Swap Follow-Up

daisy_me
13 years ago

The first package has gone out...yippee!

Post any follow-up to the 2010 Hosta Secret Swap here...

Comments (55)

• becky_ia
    13 years ago

JUST CALL ME LUCKY! Am I the first to receive? My package arrive today! And what a wonderful surprise! A box was on my front porch waiting for me after work...this is better than Christmas!

My secret swap is from slp0100 and I am delighted! Sent a nice note along with FOUR great hosta. THANK YOU so very much!!!!

There were:
    Olive Bailey Langdon
    Antioch
    Candy Hearts
    Blue Angel

Can't wait to get them planted. Again...Chuck, thank you so very much. They are just lovely.

And I haven't even sent mine out yet, as I am going to the Hosta Leaf on Saturday and want to wait to see what they have new before I send out my swap.

So, my tradee will have to wait a little too!

Oh, this is such a grand idea and so much fun to do!

becky

AGAIN...THANKS slp0100!!!! You were so very generous!

• becky_ia
    13 years ago

Whoopes, in my excitement, Just took a second look at my "stash" and discovered I made a mistake reading the tags on my swap....it wasn't Antioch but AniMachi (Geisha) which is gorgeous! Also, the Blue Angel is Blue Angel Streaker! Which is also beautiful.

becky

• woodthrush
    13 years ago

Mine swap box went out yesterday. Caliloo - where is First Look being held?
    Pam

• slp0100
    13 years ago

Becky

I am glad you like what I sent you... I was a little disappointed in the roots on the BAS ... the one plant that did not come from my garden but rather bought just for the exchange. I hope they all do well for you.

II was a little nervous, I was my first time .

• angel2008
    13 years ago

My swap box is heading out tomorrow. I was surprised to hear my maillady at the door, went running out and sure enough a box. I know it wasnt my water lilies, I received them yesterday, and never thought I would be receiving my hosta box so soon..BUT its here and I did..and I loved every hosta in it. My swap is from Michiana. Thanks so much!! Here is what she sent:
    Radiant Edger
    Stilletto
    Moon Shadow
    Lakeside Blue Cherub
    Feather Boa.
    Now if it would quit raining out I could go and play in the mud. Thanks so much Kelli for doing this ..it was my first hosta swap and I hope we can do it again.
    Corinne

• michiana
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear you liked what I sent Corinne. I forgot to mention in my note that Lakeside Blue Cherub is a division from original stock (OS). The rain never seems to end here in Michigan either. But the plants are sure loving it, but then so are weeds and mosquitoes. LOL I hope they all grow well for you. Have a great gardening year!

• Eleanor B
    13 years ago

I'm a teacher and Thurs was my last day of school this school year. I arrived home to find my box of hostas from Alycia had arrived. (Becky and I may be tied for first to receive.)
    I was thrilled to get four hosta that I do not have. Lakeside Zinger and Paradise on Fire will be welcome additions in my garden of small and minis near my koi pond. I put Earth Angel and Blue Ivory in pots till I decide exactly where to plant them.
    Thank you, Alycia .....
    AND daisy me for organizing.
    I'll be sending mine out in next couple of days... I think my "secret person" will be very pleased.

• alyciaadamo
    13 years ago

Yeah!!! I just got my Hosta swap today! I was waiting for the mailman anyway because of a package I was waiting for, but when I saw the box I didn't even think. I was like what is that from? I looked at the address and I was like this person doesn't sound familiar hmmm? Then I realized about the swap. I was so excited just to send my box that I had forgotten that I was even going to get one!LOL Thank you so much Margie you really made my day! I was feeling a bit down in the dumps and your package just brightened up my day so much.I love the box you sent. I got Yellow River(I really wanted this one), Eleanor Roosevelt(AWESOME AWESOME LADY!) and Brim Cup I also got some African Blue Basil, Yellow Pineapple Sage, Cuphea Bat Face and Ricin Castor Bean. I love them all thank you so much.

Eleanor I am so happy you liked your Hostas.

Thank you daisy_me for putting this all together I really hope to do this again. This was a great experience for me.

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

Thank Goodness Alycia,
    I was so worried that you didn't or wouldn't get your plants,I forgot to get a tracking number ,My first time doing that and I couldn't find you on the thread,So of course I got worried. I'm happy you like your plants.I hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed the plants I have received from swappers.
    Margie

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

ZZtopsoil sent a really nice box of hosta to me.

Birchwood Parky's Gold
    f. Albomarginata
    f. Albo Picta
    Honeybells
    Lakeside Rocky Top
    Toy Soldier
    Undulata Albomarginata
    Wide Brim

These are a wonderful addition to my collection and will receive the love and appreciation they deserve.

I also want to thank Daisy Me for hosting this swap for us. Your efforts are appreciated.

mao

• mjjones453
    13 years ago

My package will be going out this morning! to someone I have traded with in the past! :)

• twin_too
    13 years ago

I got the best hostas from joan_h this weekend! She sent me 3 hostas that were all new to me! I am so excited! Here's what I got:

Holly's Dazzler (love the piecrust edges)
    Toy Soldier (on my wish list)
    Moonstruck (just beautiful)

Huge thanks to Joan, I lOVE them all!

My tradee is going to have to wait until the rain lets up, but I think she/he will be very happy!!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad everyone is having so much fun with this swap!

My package should be arriving somewhere north of me today...

• woodthrush
    13 years ago

I mailed my swap box on Thurs, June 10 and according to the DC # on USPS site, it was delivered on Sat, June 12.
    Pam

• michiana
    13 years ago

My turn, my turn! I am so happy to report my package arrived today! Mao-tse Mom sent me 7 nice sized divisions that are all new to me!! And she included a mini to a large!
    Guardian Angel
    Gypsy Rose
    Hanky Panky
    Spritzer
    Captain Kirk
    Estrellita
    and Inaho
    They are all soaking and will be planted in their new homes this evening. Thank you so much Cathy! You sent a very generous trade. I love each and every one!

• maidoshade
    13 years ago

My turn to get a box from the postman! I got POPO, GOLDEN SCEPTOR, PURPLE LADY FINGERS and MUNCHKIN from ( Stephanie STEPH98). All looking good and having a big drink of water. They look just wonderful sitting in the sink and will sure look better when I get them in their new homes in the garden. Thank you so much! I love them. It is finally stopped raining here and I have Friday off work so out to the gardens I will go.

• mjjones453
    13 years ago

Happy Days are hear again! Thank you Eleanor for the package of hostas! I am excited about everyone that you sent! Eleanor sent me Inniswood-I have had this on my list for some time, and am excited to see it grow, and pucker as it gets older. Avocado - adding to my Guacamole. Guardian Angel - My sister was going to give me this one, but bought it for herself after having to put her dog to sleep. I agree that she needed to add it to her garden, and then last but not least, Green Pie Crust! I am excited about seeing the rippled edges. Thank you so much! I will try to take the very best care of them. I have them in water, and will plant them up tomorrow! . Mary

• indyrose
    13 years ago

I got my hosta today -- Sweet Home Chicago -- one that was near the top of my "want" list.

Thank you suegardens2 for finding one I really wanted!!

Indyrose

• zztopsoil
    13 years ago

I Got a Hosta Box!
    "Thank You's" are in Order to...
    Mark aka: 'treemon'!

I Received Wonderful Hosta Varieties from Mark of:

Ann Kulpa.
    Earth Angel.
    Little Treasure.
    Wolverine.
    and a...
    Great Looking Seedling from Mark's Personal Seedling Collection with Incredible Potential!

Everything is so Beautiful.
    Arrived in Great Condition!
    These are All Out Back Taking an Evening Bath.
    I Will Pot Them Up in the Morning.

Incredible Box Mark!
    I Love Them ALL!

Thanks Hosta Buddy.
    Lelan.

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

hi all...

I rec. a pkg from mjjones453 today,,,i am assuming it was for this trade,,,it is a bit confusing as i signed up for ALL of the secret trades,,,i just LOVE getting pkgs in the mail...lol

anywho...this is what i received,,,LARGE specimens of

Plantaginea--didn't have it

Francee--surprise surprise--didn't have it

Savannah Supreme--OOH LA LA--didn't have it

and a nice division of Ruffles--which i had--but didn't have it on my list...one i can share with my sister

and a few pieces of Hakonechea something or other...the only grass i have in the garden is blue fescue,,,tried zebra grass several times but it doesn't like it here

jill

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

I 'mailed' my hostas today or tomorrow(lol!), so you'll enjoy then soon enough! I must admit I am new to this and didn't have any plants from my own gardens to send out(I've only been collecting hostas for a month or two), but I think they will be happy when the box arrives.

If the hosta swap sent my way arrived, never fear, I am in Yellowstone for 4 days and will get to the box soon enough!

-Will(sparky)

• lynnem
    13 years ago

I just got my trader's name on the 14th, and I won't be able to get my hostas out until Monday... trader, be patient!!

• indymom76
    13 years ago

I got my package yesterday evening!!! SO excited!!! A great big thank you to hostaformez4 for some beautiful hosta!!! I got:

Red October-love it-it's so different
    Stilletto-awesome!
    Platinum tiara-so pretty
    Golden tiara-beautiful
    Blonde Elf-love it and the name!
    Kabitan-never heard of it, but I like it!!
    A hosta seedling from hostaforme's garden-love it!!

My DD didn't know exactly what to say when she saw her mom dancing around the kitchen last night when we were opening the package!! :) I have some planting to do today!

Again, thank you hostaformez4 (Connie)!!!

• caliloo
    13 years ago

It's here!!!!!

Yep, I got back from swim practice with the boys and there was a box waiting for me on the front steps. Catbirdsue sent some lovely new additions to my garden... I am thrilled to be adding:

FALLEN ANGEL
    WHITE BIKINI

and a couple of great looking coleus. I love them all and will take the very best care of them.

Thanks Cathy!!!!

Alexa

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

What a treat on my return from Yellowstone Park, a big, long box full of new plants!

I must admit when I signed up for this swap, I was really expecting a single plant, and a small, 1-2 eyed plant at that simply because hostas can be expensive animals amongst garden plants. I shipped out more then one to my swap partner hoping to make his/her day but I now realize that my generosity 'level' is low compared to most of the fine hosta swap folk out there!

I'd like to give my heart-felt thanks to Becky for such a wonderful collection of plants. Amongst the beauties were:

Beckoning(amusing to receive this plant from Becky!)
    Nigrescens, a nice large looking hosta
    Something Blue(no, really that's the name!)
    Striptease(LOL)
    Fire and Ice(new to me, but something that would eventually be on my 'list')
    Dance w/ Me

Also Becky included some 'Blackberry lilies' which might be most interesting of all because I really have no idea what to expect! My gardening knowledge is vast in two areas, Japanese maples and conifers, but in all other areas, I have less then my two years of gardening in inexperience and this addition will be another wonderful plant for me to try.

I sure hope my hostas arrive to my secret swap partner in the next day or two - this package really brought a big smile to my face(and a new ache to my back!).

Thank you Becky and Daisy, for this is a truely wonderful new gardening experience for me.

Next year I plan on packaging a few 'conifers' amongst my hostas - I think people might enjoy some of the really neat little dwarf and miniature trees I have to share.

Cheers!

-Will

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

WOW Will

You might even entice Ken to get in on the secret trade if you dangle conifers under his nose

I'm ready to sign up myself :)

jill

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

Got my package June 14 and then left Tuesday afternoon and just got back this evening from working/visiting my niece with my sister her mother.

Daisy_me was my Secret Hosta Swap sender!! She gave me some Japanese Forest Grass, an unknown fern, and three hostas that are also new to me, Tall Boy, Abiqua Recluse, and Erie Majec. Sorry to be so late posting.

Thanks so much Kelli for the wonderful plants and also for being in charge of the Swap.

Connie

• becky_ia
    13 years ago

Will,

Glad the you are happy with the package sent!

becky

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Caliloo -- I got the package, but gotta run off to work, I'll post more later....thanks though!

EVERYONE ELSE -- today is your last day to mail, get those packages off to their new homes! :-)

• Joan Habel
    13 years ago

It came!!

Thank you so much Jill (Newhostaaddict) for the beautiful divisions of:

Tot Tot
    Mcfly
    Serendipity
    Eola Salad Bowl
    Invincible
    ...and of course for the cute frog decoration for my flower pots (he is hanging on to a philodendron in my kitchen right now.)

I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to read my trade list and send me minis and smalls. :)

Joan

• slp0100
    13 years ago

With great cheer I got my package today...
    Inside I found 4 great hostas;
    White wall tire (this one is so cool)
    Lakeside Sparkle Plenty (one Phils favs - already have a spot for this one)
    Kisuji (a steaked hosta!!!!!)
    and Pearl Lake (a great edger )

Thank you so much Phil (hostapumkinman).

I can't wait till next year...

Chuck

• treemon
    13 years ago

Thank you to Jeanette (Indymom76)! I came home tonight to find my package. I was like a kid at Christmas. The package included Hostas Blazing Saddles, Krossa Regal, and a NOID likely to be Gold Standard. All are in great condition, appear healthy and are enjoying a soak overnight. Blazing Saddles and Krossa Regal are new to my garden and have long been on been on my wish list. Thanks Indymom76!

Coincidentally, I was in Indy today on a bus tour with the Northern Illinois Hosta Society. One of the stops there was at Soules Gardens where our group shopped for hostas, daylilies and other perennials. I came away with a couple of new hostas there too.

Mark

• steph98
    13 years ago

Pam (Twin-Too)
    A Great Big Thank You! Got the package- it arrived safely on Saturday. We were out of town so my MIL "babysat" the plants til we got back. (I think she was nervous having that much responsibility and happy when she "released" them to me.)
    Love them all! I got:
    Platinum Tiara (must've seen this on my wanted list!)
    Whirlwind
    Lakeside Babyface
    Yellow Ribbons- very cool
    and, a clump of Melting Fire Heruchera- which is just fantastic b/c it's one of my favorites, but disappeared this spring!! Perfect!
    Thanks again.
    And, thanks to Daisy-Me for hosting.
    Stephanie

• lynnem
    13 years ago

Mine went out today.. I'll have to follow up with an email in a few days because I forgot to place a note in the box! To my trader.. I do apologize for the slug damage... I wasn't as diligent this year as I was in the past, and it sure shows!!

• lynnem
    13 years ago

Now I'm wondering... the person I sent my trade to has already posted that they have received theirs.....

• maidoshade
    13 years ago

I sent out my swap long ago and it was delivered long ago but no word from my swap-partner. How disappointing. I am almost as happy to see my trade partners response as I am to getting my own package. Oh well. Better luck next time.
    Cheryl
    Maidoshade

• woodthrush
    13 years ago

Don't feel bad, Cheryl. My swap partner never acknowledged receipt of the hosta I sent her either. And I haven't received anything yet from my swap partner. A disappointment coming and going - lol
    Pam

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LynneM -- sent you an e-mail...

Maidoshade & Woodthrush -- no one is required to post when they receive their package, and newbies to the swap especially may not realize that their sender is curious if the box was received in good shape. Still hoping you'll at least hear an "I got it" from your swapper...

Woodthrush -- sent you an e-mail on the other issue...

Caliloo -- thanks so much!

Caliloo sent me a box stuffed full of hosta! It had 'Dragon Tails', 'Lakeside Downsized', 'Alex Summers', and 'Katherine Lewis'. The small guys are going to look great in my mini pots (I have 3 pots of mixed mini's on my deck and it's time to rotate some out), and the large guys are going to look great in the new bed I put in this Spring. Thanks again, Caliloo! :-)

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

i too like to see what everyone else gets,,,part of the fun of the trade

this is a public "secret" trade,,,not a private one

it just makes you wonder if they were not happy with what they got

jill

• maidoshade
    13 years ago

Sorry to be a pain about this. Enough said.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Hoping to hear from my secret partner too though admittedly(and mortified!!!) my package went out a day or two after the deadline. I had them sent from a seller I trust and the seller was overwhelmed with real life events. Hopefully he is happy with the plants! :)

-Will

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Daisy_me,

Please contact me at jimnfrank@comcast.net . I need the name and address of my partner re-sent to this email. My laptop screen died on me and I cannot access any of my old emails.

Thank you,
    Frank

• franknjim
    13 years ago

I would like to thank Jason N. of NC (couldn't find your username) for the very nice hostas he sent with very nice zinc plant markers to go along with them. I received:
    Blue Ivory
    Gypsy Rose
    Moon River

I put them in pots temporarily until I can start planting again. After throwing my back out and having my laptop die on me, the box from you made my day a little brighter.

Thank You,
    Frank

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Frank, Hi! My 'secret swap' partner was you. First, I apologize, the 'sender' had a family emergency and thus got them out a few days late. I hope in this case, better late then never! Second, as you can see I had Jason from tnifong, ebay seller send out some nice selections for you. My hosta gardens as really young, almost all the plants I own I bought this Spring. I hope it still made it worth your while this year! :)

-Will

• twin_too
    13 years ago

Sorry, I am late in posting, but I wanted to give a big "Thanks" to woodthrush for my excellent package of hostas. I received 4 hostas and one huechera that were all new to me and even a couple from my wish list. I received hostas; First Mate, Teaspoon, Twilight Time, Queen of the Seas, and heuchera Dark Secret. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those of you who still have not shipped your box...and you know who you are...please contact me with a ship date. Your swappers have waited patiently long enough.

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Will,
    Thank you for the great hostas. They are gorgeous. Blue Ivory is now planted as a focal point at the entrance to my driveway for all to see.

Frank

• woodthrush
    13 years ago

I received a great box from Frank today. Wow, Frank is a very neat packer - lol - everything rolled and tucked so neatly!
    Frank sent
    Samual Blue
    Midas Touch
    Lily Pad
    and Little Patriot - 2 clumps!

Thanks so much, Frank. Hope your back is doing better.
    Pam

• hostalavista
    13 years ago

Instead of calling myself hostalavista I may have to change to The Procrasto-nator!
    I want to thank my sender but I lost her name, I tore the little address tag off the box, stuck it in my pocket and washed it, (maybe). So I still want to thank you for the three hostas you sent. They arrived in excellent condition.
    Thank you so much and thank you Kelli for doing this swap, I know you put alot of time in it.
    Here's hoping I don't get BARRED from future swaps!
    Hostalavista, Linda

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that is everyone! If I've missed someone (if you didn't receive a box), please let me know.

I hope everyone had fun again this year with the swap. :-)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living