Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Various Pictures--Thanks to Forum for the Inspiration

Posted by oleander_il 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 15:09

I am mainly a lurker, and wanted to share pictures of my hostas this year since I have gotten a lot of inspiration, information, and guidance from reading this forum. Lots of great helpful people here who know their stuff--I always recommend this site to beginner gardeners. So thanks again! Most of the plants pictured are in their second year, a few are three years in or more, but the hostas are mainly second & third year. I am not a fan of manicured gardens (mostly because I am lazy) so my yard might seem messy to some, but the plants overall seem happy & healthy, and bring me joy. Thanks for looking. :)

June2
2006: just starting to get the gardening bug (S&S still in its nursery pot)

Garden 2008
View of garden area from the deck in 2008

Photobucket

Photobucket

Garden 2008--web

Garden 2008--web

June--web
June

Garden 2008

Photobucket
Blue Angel (?) and Sum & Substance

Photobucket
Paul's Glory

Photobucket
Golden Tiara

Gingko 2008
Gingko

Krossa Regal & corydalis
Krossa Regal behind corydalis

Photobucket
Faithful Heart with Japanese fern, cinnamon fern, and plantain lily

Photobucket
Paul's Glory & ??? can't remember...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Various Pictures--Thanks to Forum for the Inspiration

Very nice gardens,Oleander! But I thought oleanders only grew down south!Lol! I had one in my yard in Fla. Seriously,I see nothing wrong with your sytle of gardening. Phil

o

super...

just dont hide the post over in the gallery side next time ....

way back when... BP ... before photobucket.. and such services ... GW offered to allow you to post one pic in the gallery ....

but with the advent of PB and such... post them away in the main forum ...

super pix.. super garden.. super effort in posting.. THANKS ....

BTW .. no such thing as a plantain lily ... 150 year old terminology ... which was never correct ... hosta are hosta.. they are not plantain.. and they are not lily ...

ken

o

Thank you, both.

Ha! Here I purposely chose to post in the gallery so as not to clog up the Discussion page with a picture-only post--I'll know better next time. :)

I understand about the term "plantain lily." Thank you for reminding me--it's a habit from when I was little. My mom called all the hostas that were plain green a "plantain lily." Old habits, I guess. :)

o

It looks as if you have the perfect place to grow hosta and they are beautiful. But I'm blown away by your corydalis! It's amazing!

Lainey

o

You have a beautiful shady oasis. The plants sure do look happy, so you know what you're doing. I wish I can get corydalis to grow in my garden. After seeing yours looking so big and healthy, it's time I try again. Thanks for sharing.

o

Beautiful garden oleander,

Alot of time and hard work payed off,simply beeeeautiful.

Carol

o

Wow, Oleander -

What a gorgeous dappled yard - very, very, very appealing - you caught the perfect time of day!

Hostas gorgeous and love the corydalis -

Many are fearful of planting Goutweed since it spreads so aggressively - yours looks great with hostas - any problems controlling it?? It's such a pretty plant to add some light to a planting --

o

I like the look of your garden. Your hostas are beautiful and everything looks healthy, very nice.
Shawn

o

One word describes your beautiful yard....TRANQUIL

What kind of trees are they?

o

very nice!! love the corydalis too!!

o

What a beautiful setting, Oleander. Just think what they may look like in another ten years. Your June is out of this world.

o

but if no posts pix over on the other side.. then interest dwindles... and no one posts... so .. a real catch 22 ...

i thought you knew the plantain name thingee... but not every answer is specific to the poster ... and my mom did the same ...

since i clogged up the other side.. i would say traffic has quadrupled in the last week ... new posters.. more pix.. etc ... makes me want to check in and see what is happening .. as compared to the end of winter .. when we were all suicidal ...

ken

o

Very beautiful gardens and the pic of the g.tiara and corydalis is very nice. Carydalis doesn't like it here as well as it does in your yard obviously.
I was curious on what type of trees you have also.

o

• Posted by hey_j 6 Dayton Oh. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 9:26

"You've come a long way baby", er Oleander, from your very first photo before your garden 'took off'!
What an encouragement to those who are also just getting started! Wow! thank you for sharing your
progress with us!

o

fantactic

glad you are out of lurkdom

o

• Posted by patann Z5 SE Mich (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 13:58

Oleander, very beautiful gardens, thank you. Can you tell me the name of the green lance-like hosta surrounding Budda? I must have it. Kikuuti maybe?
Pat

o

Thank you for all the great comments!

I am constantly digging up and pulling out corydalis. I love it, and find it all over my yard--I'm happy for all the volunteers, but it's amazing how well that spreads in my yard. I've always thought it looked like a yellow bleeding heart, and only recently learned it is closely related.

The big tree in the middle of the yard is some type of oak, not sure what kind. I also have a maple (I think a soft one), that is not in any of the pictures but provides lots of shade, and some kind of very tall, skinny conifer. The rest of the shade comes from other people's yards--mostly oaks. I chose most of the plants for this garden when my neighbor had a mature tall apple(?) tree in his yard that made my yard very shady. Well, he chopped it down last year, so now I have quite a bit of afternoon sun--some of the plants wilt tremendously in July & August, but if I water every day, they seem to stay alive. Guess that's the drawback to neighbors--never know what they are going to do with their yards! :)

Pat--the plain green hostas surrounding the little statue are hosta lancifolia. I have a million of them-they line the fence much of the perimeter of the yard. So dependable and always look great, boring, but green, glossy, and a good backdrop.

As for the Bishop's weed, yes, I was hesitant to plant it as I had heard it is so aggressive, but when I walk around my neighborhood, one of the plants I ALWAYS admire is the bishop's weed. It looks so refreshing and soft, as it forms a pillow of leaves, and so I just had to have it as a contrast to the dark greens in the yard, despite its reputation. I love it at twilight--it positively glows. I just rip out what I don't want to keep it somewhat contained. Also, it is a good deterrent to my dog--keeps her on other paths in the yard so she doesn't trample the ferns and other plants. :)

Thank you all again for looking and commenting. Hope I addressed all the questions. Have a great day gardening!

o
Brown Oak Tree Leaves

I also wanted to mention that the brown leaves on the oak tree are likely the effects of the cicada arrival last year. I have read that they cause natural trimming/grooming of the trees from when they lay their eggs and do their eating. We had an amazing amount of cicadas--I was a little freaked out and really didn't spend much time outside since they were clumsily flying all around landing in my hair all the time. :(

Here's a glimpse of last year:
Cicada Invasion 2007
Cicada Invasion 2007
Cicada Invasion
Cicada Invasion 2007
Cicada Invasion 2007

Hopefully next year the oak will have recovered from the cicada invasion. It looks healthy otherwise, so I'm not too worried.

o

Wow--what a display of gardens, Hosta, and all the other plants. I love mixing Bishops Weed, Corydalis, Astilbe, Bleeding Hearts, Lady's Mantle and a few others with my Hosta. Partly because I love those plants also and partly because it adds another dimension to the garden. I have a very woodsy lot, and like you, I just love to scatter plants around and hope they all grow happily. I don't think my gardens look as nice as yours, however, which is why I love to look at pictures of other gardens and get new ideas. Mary

o

Wow! That is one of the prettiest shade gardens I've ever seen. Great job!

o

Oleander - that is such a peaceful, restful place. I am looking for inspirational pictures for my newly aquired hosta collection and yours certainly fits the bill. I do love the mix of other perennials and the bugle weed is really pretty and such a nice contrast both leaf shape of color - thanks for sharing.......

Lynne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here