Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Six month ago 6-20 &21-08

Posted by mctavish6 4/5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 12:19

More Pictures. It's -15f. this morning Burrrr!

Photobucket

Golden Tiara, Fringe Benefit and Holy Mole

Photobucket

Erromena

Photobucket

David Austin Rose - The Countryman

Photobucket

Honeybells, Richland Gold, Green Fountain

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Looking up the garden from the seat in the previous pictures

Photobucket

This is the area where I was experimenting with comparing the blues and greens. Clockwise from bottom right is Bruces Blue, Curls (new), Devon Green, Blue Wegewood, Joseph (below Queen Josephine), barely seen are new Arctic Blast and Ringtail which will probably be moved next year.

Photobucket

Left to Right top: Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, Ming Jade, Middle: Mt. Tom, Hirao Majesty, Bottom: Elizabeth, Dark Star, Moonstruck

Photobucket

Clockwise from top: Eskimo Pie, Potomac Pride , Emerald Tiara, Manhattan
Photobucket

Photobucket

A few of the bowl planters of mini's

Praying Hands, Dorset Blue, Cracker Crumbs, Dixie Chick, Grand Prize

Photobucket

Change of Tradition with Baby Bunting and Pandora's Box hiding underneath - a bit of Hosta Minor barely seen at the back

Photobucket

Blue Blush, Golden Oriole, Tattoo all new this year and all suffered from the April snow that covered them.

Photobucket

Sunpower in the sun

Photobucket

Richland Gold

Photobucket

Gin and Tonic

Photobucket

Li'l Abner

Photobucket

Daybreak, Ann Kulpa and Miss Tokyo - Fragrant Blue top right

Photobucket

Sunpower Shade. I'd just moved a big astilbe out and put Camelot here.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Six month ago 6-20 &21-08

It's only -14 here but still nice to be able to tour your gardens. Each day keeps getting more incredible.

Cowboy

o

It still amazes me to see how much interesting 'stuff' you put around and near your hosta. I so enjoy seeing your groupings and marvel at how well you do them. You pop in color everywhere!

I'm wasting time when I should be gathering stuff for our vacation as we leave in 8 days. Oh well, I'll get it done sometime. LOL

Connie

o

I've enjoyed your garden pics soooo much this morning
4:30 am) :):) Your hosta are very nice. I was glad to see that you have some in pots...I'm planning to do that this
spring because I'm afraid that the VOLES will get to them.
I don't have a lot, however, I do have some nice clumps
in the back of my house. Your mix with the flowers really works well.
On another post, I saw your roses (Baffin & Cabot) When do
you prune Cabot...I have those two roses also, Right now
I'm growing them as large shrubs but I like yours better.
Your garden is quite lovely...reminds me of my own.
Margaret

o

McT, I really enjoyed the garden tour. Wonderful combos! I especially like the photo with 'Eskimo Pie' in the background. It really pops with the companions you've chosen. You definately have a knack for combining plants in a visually appealing way. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

o

Thanks folks. This gallery side seems to have died recently.

Dan, I'm thinking of moving that Eskimo Pie since it kind of deteriorated a bit last year and I've heard it's hard to grow. I would put it in a bit better light to see what happens. Since I like the coloration there, I was thinking of putting a reasonable size Great Expectations there. What do you think?

Margaret, I'd love to see pictures of your garden. I see you are in zone 7 - the tropics to me. When I moved here from costal zone 7 or 8 I found that many of the plants I'd grown before couldn't take the winters. I have only a couple of T roses now and the fancier climbers didn't work at all. I'm happy with the much hardier Explorer Roses. I don't prune them until spring and then it's mostly what damaged or dead or in the way of something else. That John Cabot needs to be tied up properly, maybe this year. The William Baffin is right in the line of fire where snow and icicles fall off the roof. I'm happy that some of it survives ok.

o

Hi McT, I went to the Winter Scientific Meeting last weekend and Mark Zilis mentioned 'Eskimo Pie' specificly as not being a particularly good grower, but he didn't mention any recommendations for growing it larger. He just showed a photo of one that wasn't particularly large and said it was the biggest one he had seen in person. I like your combo the way it is. 'GE' would look nice there too. Do you have more than one? I haven't had any problems with it(mine's in a sunnier spot) but many say they're finicky, so that would be my only worry on moving it to that spot.

Dan

o

Wonderful photos of your garden and I especially love the paths and the intermix of the hostas with other plants.

o

Thanks Dave. I just answered a question in this gallery section of 6-28-08. If you're interested in how the paths were made, you might want to check it out. McT

o

• Posted by hey_j 6 Dayton Oh. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 17:19

LOL, McT--I just saw these and as USUAL your pics. are so inspiring and as we've conversed before,
we have many things in common, beyond a shared birth *day* with more evidence---I have the SAME
SQUIRREL as you have pictured in your last pic.!

This is too wild!!LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here