Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Six Months Ago - 5/31/12

Posted by tsbccowboy MN (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 14:51

Photos are from six months ago which also means six months to go to see them like this again.

Applause

Big John

Climax

Great Expectations

Jim Matthews

Lakeside Dividing Line

Liberty

Magic Fire

Mr Big

Paradigm

Paradise Power

Rain Dancer

Sun Kissed

Tyler's Treasure

Victory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Six Months Ago - 5/31/12

Gorgeous photos! And these are all yours? Beautiful collection.

The ones that stand out for me are: Climax; GE (how old is yours and how many eyes does it have?); Liberty (who wouldn't love yours!); Magic Fire (similar to Liberty, but how is its growth rate and does it keep its color throughout the season?); Tyler's Treasure is lovely (there is a blue below it that looks similar to a blue I have with no ID. Can you tell me what it is? Also to the right of the blue is a large leaved light edged hosta. What is that?); and Victory is looking great too.

I've just begun a serious collection as of last year. Other than the common older varieties, I only have four mature hostas I have had for a long time---Wide Brim, Fortunei Aureomarginata, GE and Golden Tiara.

Would I ever love to have a walk in your garden! Unfortunately I am just too far---not that I would be invited anyways!

I am experiencing hosta withdrawal I think. Seems like it is going to be a long time till spring.

o

NewHostaLady,

Thank You! These are all Hostas from my gardens. The Great Expectations was planted in 2009; I am not sure how many eyes it has.

Liberty is one of my favorite Hostas and Magic Fire and Ivory Coast are similar. I think Magic Fire will act in a similar fashion to Liberty as far as keeping its color goes. The yellowish edge of Liberty turns white as the Summer progresses.

The blue Hosta in front of Tyler's Treasure is Uncle John. I got this one from Walnut Grove Nursery and am very happy with it. The one to its right is Miss Tokyo; I think this will be a nice one. Victory is going to get big and I am looking forward to that. The scapes on Victory were about six feet tall.

In the Fall of 2003 I noticed there were some really cool looking Hostas and started making a lot of online purchases that Winter. Collecting Hostas has been very rewarding over the years. Meeting friends online, visiting each others gardens and through the Hosta Societies.

I think if we have Hostas and we know the names of them, anybody who is interested in Hostas is always welcome to come visit our gardens. NewHostaLady, if you ever get to the Minneapolis-St Paul area of Minnesota during the Summer, You are invited to tour the gardens. There are a number of other Hosta gardeners nearby and I am sure they would also like to share their gardens with visitors.

If you would like to tour my gardens virtually, you may check out my Hostagardener.com website. I have photos of the various gardens and Hostas through the years. It is kind of fun to see the changes from year to year.

Enjoy your Hostas and gardens. Like they say "next year is going to be even better!".

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Hostagardener.com website

o

Hi John:

First of all, thank you for the invitation to tour your garden! I will keep it in mind should I travel your way.

In regards to Miss Tokyo, I understand that this hosta is fairly new. I hope it continues to do well for you. Looks like a lovely hosta. I won't be able to add Victory to my garden. I didn't know it got so large.

I've looked at your hostagardener.com website. I really like it. I love seeing the hostas at different times of the year and their growth from one season to the next.

o

Wonderful as always Cowboy. Keep 'em coming. Myrle

o

Yer a straight shooter, Cowboy. Thems some mighty fine pix ya got there.

Thanks for posting them.

tj

o

Lovely photos. Lovely garden.

bkay

o

Thanks, Cowboy! I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting in your area next spring/summer. My son moved to the area, and there's a little grandaughter who needs to get to know her grandparents. Son and family are too busy to come visit us, so we'll have to head up there to see them! I'll give you a holler when I get up that way. Great to see your beautiful pics again.

o

Thanks for sharing your photos. This is one of my favorite parts of visiting the garden web.
On your Climax photo, there is a white edged hosta just beneath it that is just the kind of hosta I like. A little frilly, nice habit. Wonder what it is.

Beautiful hostas.

Beverly

o

Linda P, looking forward to your visit.

Beverly, The Hosta by Climax is Spring Fling.

o

Cowboy, thanks for that huge selection of glorious pictures of beautiful hostas, just compared some of yours again to see how beautiful mine might get!
Bernd

o

Thank you for the 'hosta fix' on a cold winter's night! Reminds one that Spring will be here in a few months! Gorgeous pictures!!

o

I couldn't open up the site Myrle gave under "don't miss the pictures " but I do believe this may be what she was referring too and it is great for a winter hosta fix as rosie stated. Right now all we see is snow and more to come..yuk!

o

I so enjoyed these pictures here, decided to bump the thread! Isn't that Liberty stunning? Tsbccowboy, feel free to send us some new pics this year! WOW!

I just bought 2 beautiful Paradigms, hope mine will be as nice as yours. I have never seen or heard of Sunkissed, really a delight with the cupping action...

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here