Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Tell me about your Empress Wu

gardenfanatic2003
12 years ago

Is she a good grower? What about her leaf substance?

Pictures would be great! Thanks,

Deanna

Comments (14)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Here's my first year plant in August. The white stuff is Liquid Fence. You can see from the new growth in the middle that this one just kept adding new leaves all year.

I think the Empress is an outstanding grower. My first year plant probably tripled in size. The leaf substance is probably a little better than average. I didn't have any slug problems with mine. Those holes are from falling sticks.

Here's what a mature plant looks like (Adams Garden):

Steve

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Here's my first year planted 8-13-09. It was quite small.
    {{gwi:914269}}
    Second year 5-11-10.
    {{gwi:914271}}
    Last year 6-29-11.
    {{gwi:914273}}
    Another pic from last year. It got about 4 feet wide. The big one in the background is 7 feet wide x 3 feet tall.
    {{gwi:914275}}

It does set viable seed. It had about 50 seedlings surrounding it last year. Empress Wu is supposed to be green but mine pretty much stays blue until late in the season. It only gets early morning sun.

• hostamanphil
    12 years ago

I do not have Empress Wu.Jeff Miller gifted me some seeds of Empress Wu x Christmas Tree Gala.Here is a pic at 6 months.Keeping my fingers crossed that I could end up with a streaked giant.Phil
    {{gwi:914277}}

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Here is my Empress Wu in May 20, 2011, unfurling her leaves which became larger than 10x10. I planted her in 2009 as a plant with several eyes. In 2010 I replanted her under a pear tree in shade, and she is doing well, also no slug attack.
    Bernd

• gardenfanatic2003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Frank, impressive pictures!!

Phil, that's a 6 mo old seedling?? Wow!

The more I see, the more I like. :-)

Deanna

• almosthooked zone5
    12 years ago

I am so excited ! Myrle has got one for me as a gift from her trip to the USA and she said to save room for it. She won't tell me the other surprises so will have to wait until the week-end. She knows mine as well as her own so is like the good step mother and what and where to plant. I am so lucky. Only a few more sleeps and will be just like Christmas in April

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Phil, with those large new leaves it might become a huge one. Wow, that would be a great streaked creation. I have to read Jeff's seed website in October when I plan to start again. Right now I have OP seedlings from 4 of his streakers, only small.
    Bernd

• Cindy
    12 years ago

I just planted my first 2 but everyone seems to have fabulous luck with them so I am preemptively excited!

• bannyrooster
    12 years ago

just bought one and waiting for delivery. all the pics have me very excited. pardon me, im new to the site....hello all.

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Mine starting on her third full year. Some of the leaves are already up to 16" wide. It is also currently taller than my giant Samual Blue. I have never seen any hosta gain size as fast as this one.
    {{gwi:914281}}

• Gesila
    12 years ago

This is one of 2 Empress Wu's in her second year. Last year on April 22, her largest leaf was 11 x 9. Almost a year later, her largest leaf is 15 X 11.

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Frank -- stand back and watch her leap. What an impressive show she is putting on!

Bannyrooster -- welcome aboard -- hope you like it well enough here to stick around! There's lots to be learned, and some laughs thrown in too! Enjoy.
    Jan

• gardenfanatic2003
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bannyrooster - welcome to the hostaholics forum...er, I mean the hosta forum!

Frank - impressive! Did you keep any of the volunteer seedlings last year?

Deanna

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I left the seedlings where they were. I think a couple of them have shown back up this year. I get quite a few seedlings coming up all over and I am trying not to become too attached to all of them since I am limited on space. I am hoping to use EW pollen with Ice Age Trail and Savannah Supreme as pod parents this year if things work out time wise. Otherwise I will be saving the pollen and storing it for next year.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths