Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Lakesides 2014

As everyone knows I take Lakesides very seriously. So today I have no riddles or jokes. I do have 2 rules that I follow religiously tho and I thought I would share them with all of you. So here they are:

1. Everyone should own a Lakeside Shore Master.

2. No new order is complete without a Lakeside on it.

Loving my Lakesides lets see yours:

Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled 4th year grown from a liner

Comments (100)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

L.S. Cindy Cee

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

L.S. Spruce Goose

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Great looking Lakesides from everyone! I keep scrolling back to look again,

Lakeside Lolipop
    {{gwi:2126687}}

Lakeside Paisley Print....in front
    {{gwi:2126688}}
    ......close up
    {{gwi:2126689}}

Lakeside Shore Master

The next ones were all new in the fall. Not much to look at yet, but really looking forward to seeing them emerge in the spring.
    Lakeside Kaleidoscope OS

Lakeside Hoola Hoop OS

Lakeside Dragon Fly

Lakeside Black Mama OS

Lakeside Midnight Miss

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

These Lakesides are a terrific shopping list. WOW ! ! !

Picked up Lakeside Shore Master in summer of 2013. Love at first sight! Here it is Fall of 2013.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Lakeside Baby Face

This post was edited by almosthooked on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 22:50

9 years ago

LSHore Master September 2014...

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

lakeside cup cake ( new)

9 years ago

Earlier in 2014

9 years ago

Lakeside Cupcake, new 2014

9 years ago

Lakeside Cupcake in garden setting, lower right.

Paula, yes, I need to find more Lakesides this year! ðÂÂÂ

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

lakeside full tide

This post was edited by almosthooked on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 23:22

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Lakeside Jazzy Jane

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Lakeside Pebbles New in fall 2014

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Lakeside Rocky Top also new in fall 2014

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Lakeside Spellbinder is the last of my fall Lakeside purchases

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

A brand new LS Kaleidoscope right at the end of last season, my only Lakeside so far and yes maam, Paula I will get LS Shoremaster and LS Dragonfly is in the mix too.

Denis

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Lakeside Roy El. A robust plant of substance well-above average. Can grow well into a large size hosta.

Don B.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Don, that's a really good looking hosta...a favorite color combo of mine. I didn't know much about it, so I looked it up... to my surprise it's the pod parent of Cindy Cee, Dream On and Jazzy Jane. It also looks similar to my L. Legal Tender so I compared the two.

I bought L. LEGAL TENDER when it looked a lot like Roy EL. It's grown taller than the 8" it's supposed to get and it's in an area where nothing grows to its stated size. I'm wondering whether I actually have a Legal Tender. Does anyone else have it?

Lakeside Legal Tender?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Irawon, I think your plant is Legal Tender, it matches up well with the pics in the library. Looks nice : )

Don B.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Thanks, Don for contributing your discerning eye to my question. I'm glad it seems to be what it's supposed to be...L. Legal Tender.

A picture for Paula. What my L. Zinger looks like in the ground.

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    9 years ago

Hi Folks! Not to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to share a couple picts of my Lakesides, if I can find them. Did not do a great job organizing my photos this year, but here's LS Paisley Print that's been in the ground a few years now. LOVE!

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    9 years ago

Here's LS Breaking News in way too much sun. But it never burns -- just lightens as you see here. 35 year old birch that used to shade it was falling down and had to be removed..... Another favorite; love the almost saw-edge and ruffle.

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    9 years ago

LS Breaking News again a couple weeks after previous post, with flower scapes. Sorry so blurry....

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    9 years ago

LS Paisley Print in bloom. Again, sorry for the blur........

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

GREAT specimens, windchime! I have LS Breaking News, too, but it's not nearly as pretty as yours. The edging on yours is beautifully pronounced.

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Lakeside Fruit Loops
    {{gwi:2126690}}

Lakeside Banana Bay
    {{gwi:2126691}}

Lakeside Dragonfly
    {{gwi:2126692}}

Lakeside Cupcake
    {{gwi:2126693}}

Lakeside Paisley Print

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Lakeside Meter Maid
    {{gwi:2126694}}

Lakeside Love Affaire
    {{gwi:2126695}}

Lakeside Black Satin
    {{gwi:2126696}}

Lakeside Beach Captain
    {{gwi:2126697}}

Lakeside Explosion
    {{gwi:2126698}}

Lakeside Cindy Cee
    {{gwi:2126699}}

Lakeside Prophecy (not any longer in pot)
    {{gwi:2126700}}

Lakeside Hoola Hoop
    {{gwi:2126701}}

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    9 years ago

irawon did you spread that LS Zinger out or did it grow that way? All your hostas look so great.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Paula, I bought a division of L. Zinger from someone locally raising money for her church. It seems to me that divisions grown from hostas grown in the ground are hardier than one's straight from tissue culture. I could have sworn that L. Zinger was rhizomatous but checking with D. Rawson's lists it appears not. To answer your question Paula, I did not spread it out. It grew that way and I think I will move it b/c it's occupying real estate for something bigger.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Bennie my L. Black Satin shows its dark colour but yours shows the rippled edge as well. I hope it's something mine will develop. How old is yours?

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Irawon, I bought my LS Black Satin June 28, 2012. It had the rippled edge right from the beginning. I have to add that I went to the Netherlands, to Jan van den Top, and bought it in a pot. He has really large plants he sells at home for the same price.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Bennie, isn't the internet wonderful that I can be talking to you in Germany while I'm in Canada. I hope to be able to do the same in the near future. Thanks for the info.

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Irawon you are perfectly right. For me this is still wonderful. In particular since I am from the former behind the wall. ;-) Ottawa is nice. I was there twice in 2009 and 2013.

• flowerchild59
    8 years ago

Here is a pic of lakeside blue jeans in the back, blue cherub in the front (about 3 feet across) and missy little with the light edge on the right.

8 years ago

Flowerchild, never heard of these so will google...they really are beautiful..love the smaller leaves. Blue Cherub makes a gorgeous specimen!

• hosta-see
    8 years ago

LS Kaleidoscope

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Lakeside Frosted Mint looks yummy! Love it.

• plantnutz
    8 years ago

There's some Lakesides now on auction at the hostalibrary,org.

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    8 years ago

They had Lakesides (Cupcake and Paisley Print) at Lowes this past weekend-- not sure if the stock is similar at most Lowes or not, just FYI.

• dhaven
    8 years ago

Please be very cautious in buying hostas from Lowe's. Our local store has been selling hostas with HVX for several years, despite being told by several local gardeners about the HVX problem. While the problem is most obvious at point of sale on varieties such as Gold Standard and Golden Tiara, these plants all come from the same wholesale sources.

• Pamela Devine
    8 years ago

My Lakesides never seem to flourish......My shoremaster is literally 1 leaf and has been every year......my paisley print is probably the best of the bunch. I'm hoping dragonfly seems to be doing better this year....time will tell though

• hostatakeover swMO
    8 years ago

Pamela, that's likely because Mary Chastain bred her Hostas to be heat tolerant so folks in more southerly regions could enjoy Hostas like our more northerly, Hosta-lovin' compadres. Sure hope your Dragonfly thrives for you.

• bkay2000
    8 years ago

Boy, she bred some gorgeous hosta.

bk

• plantnutz
    8 years ago

That she did bk! I visited her place twice when she had an open house and sale. It was lovely!

• TheHostaCottage
    8 years ago

Don't want to be picky but was wondering if we could start a new thread instead of using old posts? It took me forever just to get to the bottom of this thread to see what was updated, LOL!

• don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

They should still do fine in areas that don't get as hot as Tennessee, shouldn't they?

• hostatakeover swMO
    8 years ago

One would think so, Don. In fact, I hear Mary herself was amazed at how much bigger some of her creations grew in more northern gardens. But some Hostas just seem to be a bit pickier about their environment. It may be the temps, soil or lighting, who knows. Perhaps Pam's particular spot in Canada just doesn't appeal to Lakesides. I'll be interested to see how Dragonfly does.

Hippie, I hear you. It does take an extra long time to get to the bottom of this thread, but then I'd hate to lose all these wonderful photos to the nether regions of this site, too.

• Eleven
    8 years ago

Just to show I do have Lakeside Shore Master, as recommended :)

Also, Lakeside Tee Ki is a cutie.

• don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

I don't have LS Shoremaster, but I do have St Paul. It will have to do : )

Don B.