Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta H 2014

Two snowmen are standing next to each other in a yard.
One says to the other, "Funny, I smell carrots too."

I saw snow flurries here in Florida yesterday. Stay warm everybody.

Hacksaw, 1st year

Comments (67)

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Hadspen Samphire.....amazing in the spring, then just green.

{{gwi:2127267}}

Halcyon....doesn't everyone have one of these?
    {{gwi:2127268}}
    Hanky Panky....just new, but I think I'm going to love it.
    {{gwi:2127269}}

High Society...destined to become a favourite.
    {{gwi:2127270}}

Hadspen Blue
    {{gwi:2127271}}

Honey Song

{{gwi:2127272}}

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Paula - The more I see Hacksaw the more I like it.
    irawon - Nice to hear that Hideout is a good grower. How old is it?
    sunnywood - Hyuga Urajiro is very attractive.
    Jan.ON - (" Halcyon....doesn't everyone have one of these?") If we don't we should!
    Here is my Halcyon

9 years ago

Hanky Panky

9 years ago

Holy Mouse Ears

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Halcyon
    {{gwi:2127273}}
    {{gwi:2127274}}
    High Society
    {{gwi:2127275}}
    {{gwi:2127276}}
    Hanky Panky
    {{gwi:2127277}}
    Holy Mole
    {{gwi:2127278}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Halcyon

{{gwi:2127279}}

Halcyon in its former home. They had to be transplanted before they cut off my entryway. She is beautiful, vigorous, hardy and reliable.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

BChosta, you really know how to capture the beauty of each of your Hostas. Fantastic shots, all.

Hadspen Blue.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Not posting my Halcyon...everyone else's on this thread's puts mine to shame. B.C. Hosta, that close up shot of a Halcyon leaf in the rain....wow!! And....gotta get me some Hoosier Dome like Squirejohn....and now I present a wee little HI HO SILVER. Small, compact, but still shouts out "look at me!"

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Well hip, hip, hooray for Hi Ho Silver! It DOES shout "Look at me!"

Hollywood Lights

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Peren.all your Hanky Panky is huge. Mine is so small , it is not worth posting for years but worth the wait!
    Here is my High Noon in early May

• irawon
    9 years ago

Love the repeats! They give a sense of what the really popular hostas are in hostadom and seeing their various surroundings interests me.

Tepelus, lovely Holy Mouse Ears, nice and full. I've moved mine hoping it will increase but it seems to be reverting to BME. Your Heat Wave looks like it was a good size. Hope it recovers from its move.

Hostas for Barb, nice to see Hanky Panky in bloom.

Sunnywood, your Hyuga Urajiro looks really healthy and your picture shows its streaking really well. Mine is six years old and I moved it for the second time hoping it will increase in western sun. Where do you have yours located?

Jan.ON, love your Hadspen Samphire. Good to know it greens up. I've been caught placing a viridescent hosta in an all green area.

BC Hosta, that's a beautiful transition picture of your High Society with its white mediovariagation.

Peren.all, my Hideout is 3 years old. Your Hanky Panky is huge. How old is it?

I found a picture of a late (before flowering) Hanky Panky beside Striptease.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Another of High Noon in the background and well worth having.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I forgot a couple, one of which was already shown.

Hyuga Urajiro

{{gwi:2127280}}

Hydon Sunset (in spring and in mid-summer bloom)

{{gwi:2127281}}

{{gwi:2127282}}

Karen

9 years ago

Hi irawon - That is such a good growth rate for Hideout, it is really lovely. I have got to get mine in the ground and hope it takes off as quickly as yours has. Some of the minis are sooo slow.
    Hanky Panky is 4 years old. I think yours looks terrific!
    p.s.- I so agree with you that rocks and plants compliment each other so well, especially Hostas.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

Irawon, my HYUGA URAJIRO is planted in open shade. It dose not get any direct sun. I actually divided it just after tha picture was taken, because it was not growing very fast. I thought it might do better in some morning sun. So far no change.

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Jon, Jan and Harry....love those Halcyons!
    Almosthooked...your High Noon is well worth having!.
    Irawon.....HIGH SOCIETY looks awesome
    Peren....I'll take any of yours you get tired of!!

Halcyon......Halcyon and June remain my favorites in spite of all the new introductions.

....in late fall. Always one of the last standing and still looks good
    {{gwi:2127283}}

....another younger one....love the look in early sring
    {{gwi:2127284}}

Hanky Panky

....a little closer look

Heat Wave
    {{gwi:2127285}}

HUDSON BAY....waiting to be planted

• irawon
    9 years ago

Almosthooked, you grow all your hostas so well, your HP must be really nice, although small. I like your High Noon . Does it get more yellow later?

HostaTakeover,you and Sunnywood have peaked my interest in Hollywood Lights. It's a sport of On Stage, isn't it, which I really like.

Hostanista, I really like your Hi HO Silver. It really impresses.

Everyone's Halcyons are gorgeous. June is crowding out mine.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Almosthooked, what is the name of the hosta in the foreground in front of High Noon? it is absolutely beautiful.

For God's sake, peren.all, mine's 4 years old too but yours looks so much fuller...must be the root competition.

Thanks for the info, Sunnywood. We'll have to compare down the road, east versus west . Tepelus, your HU looks great too. I really like that hosta.

Mbug, your Hudson Bay looks really vigorous. I will be very interested to know how it does for you. I planted mine where I lost my Dream Weaver. It's been really slow (since 2012). I may end up putting it in a spin out bag , but that is so much work (I'm turning 72 in March and hoping I'll be up to it).

HUDSON BAY

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 15:49

• esox48
    9 years ago

Halcyon with a volunteer trying to push into the picture. The wild geraniums above it make a great groundcover.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

What beautiful Halcyons. It's easy to see how that plant has given us so many wonderful hostas.

High Society leaf in May

High Society in July

Holly's Dazzler ....wants that bearded iris to back off :)

This post was edited by sandyslopes on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 18:37

• esox48
    9 years ago

High Noon

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Happy Dayz
    {{gwi:2127289}}

High Fashion
    {{gwi:2127290}}

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Irawon
    I finally found another picture of my High Noon from 2014. All my plants are touching this season and may have to find room for some else in the 2015 season. Yes it does turn a bit more yellow as the season goes on.

The hosta in the foreground in the younger(2013) HN is Wide Brim. I never took many single pictures in 2014 and most are group pictures and not really well documented for some reason. Must have been too busy making more beds for the over purchasing I seem to do .
    Anyway this is the back view of High Noon (3rd yr purchase) cropped from a group picture

9 years ago

almosthooked -We have all seen how beautifully your hostas grow. Your HP will grow by leaps and bounds by next year.
    mbug - You're too funny! Your plants and pics are always fabulous.
    All the High Noon pics show what a super hosta it is.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

So many beautiful H's here. Hope some of mine will someday be so nice.

Holy Mole

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Hudson Bay

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Honeybells

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

High Society

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Halcyon

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Hadspen Blue

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments on Hacksaw. She is a sweetheart. High Society is a definite this year.

Half and Half

Original Author
    9 years ago

High Tide new

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hudson Bay 2nd year.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ho Silver. Late in season first year

• irawon
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, almosthooked/definitelyhooked. LOL I really like yellow hostas and your High Noon is very robust looking. I'm making a note of it for when I find a suitable spot. Love the fern with it too. Esox, thanks for showing us your gold High Noon.

Funntsun, your 'High Fashion' reminds me a lot of 'Risky Business'. It's not available here yet, so I'll have to content myself with Kiwi Full Monty , which I don't have.

Old dirt, your 'Honeybells' really stands out amongst the other hostas in your picture. What a great oldie!

When I bought my 'Honeybells' it was labelled 'Royal Standard'. Every time I looked at it, I thought it needed water because of the drooping leaves. It grew so well that I had to move it.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Heartsong, emerging in spring. Apparently I didn't take very many pictures this year.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Irawon, yes, Hollywood Lights is a sport of On Stage. Until last season I would've assured you Hollywood Lights is hardier, but I moved my On Stage to a shadier part of the garden and it underwent a 180 degree attitude adjustment. Both are thriving now. :)

I'm really loving everyone's Heatwaves and Hudson Bays.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2127291}}

{{gwi:2127292}}

{{gwi:2127293}}

{{gwi:2127294}}

{{gwi:2127295}}

{{gwi:2127296}}

{{gwi:2127297}}

Hacksaw, Harpoon, High Tide, Hirao Majesty, Honeybells, Hoosier Dome, Hyacinthina

• irawon
    9 years ago

Myrle, it's nice to see that 'Hacksaw' can be perky planted in the ground. I found a pic of mine. It almost looks rhizomatous but isn't indicated as such by Don Rawson in his lists.

HACKSAW

• dg
    9 years ago

another 'Hideout'

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Harpoon

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Since on one else posted it, I'll add this first year plant.

High Kicker
    {{gwi:2127298}}

Steve

• irawon
    9 years ago

Going through my pictures today, I found one of Hyuga Urajiro (Aug 13) in it's new location getting western sun. It seems to be blooming better now.

• liveoutside
    9 years ago

I apologize for asking a question more than 10 days after the post, but Mctavish6, can you (or anyone) please provide the name of the yellow-flowering plant in your January 11th fifth picture? It's just in front of Honeybells. It reminds me of a hardy geranium, but I'm not aware of being able to buy one in yellow. It's positively glowing mixed in with your beautiful hostas! Thank you!

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Hacksaw
    {{gwi:2127299}}

Half and Half
    {{gwi:2127300}}

Heat Wave

High Society
    {{gwi:2127301}}

Hot Kiss (after arrival)
    {{gwi:2127302}}

Hyuga Urajiro (also new in 2014)
    {{gwi:2127303}}

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

liveoutside, the flower in McT's Honeybell pic looks like a Trollius, (globe flower). I'm not sure which one as mine are all orange colored.

• liveoutside
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your response sandyslopes! Now I have a starting point from which I can find out whether they'll grow in Central Illinois and whether I can get my hands on some. Thanks again!

• irawon
    9 years ago

Bennie, I love your picture of Hacksaw in the ground. Keep in touch.

• Bennie0203, Zone: 6b/7a, Germany
    9 years ago

Hippodrome new 2014

Hollywood Lights new 2014

• Eleven
    8 years ago

Halcyon 8/23/2014

Hanky Panky 7/1/2014

Harry van de Laar 9/6/2014 new purchase

Humpback Whale 6/11/2014 second year in the ground, pretty sure it was a liner the year before

Hyacinthina 7/15/2014

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES